Tales from the comp' shop part2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tales from the comp' shop part2

In the photo' attached, either Spain or Italy, I am on the right in the dark blue overalls.

Because Dave had his car registered in Belguim he could only stay in England a small amount of time which ment me and the bike's came home alone. The first time this happened I flew into Southend airport in one of their "Carvaires", a converted cargo aircraft, and after it was off loaded I had to proceede to the customs shed. Now, you try wheeling 2 bikes,toolbox and suitcase 50 yards. It took 3 trips to do it and then I had to present all the paper work for the bikes, have my toolbox searched along with my suitcase by the custom personnel, what a drag. A least Peter Vine was standing the other side of the door to give a hand with everything and load it all into the Greeves van.
    The return journey to Amsterdam took place after the bikes were prepared for the next meeting with me flying out with them, again from Southend. On landing at Amsterdam I had to wait on the tarmac until Dave arrived with the car and trailer. This lead to a slightly disturbing scene. The aircraft had been loaded for it's return to Southend but do you think they could get one of the engines started, no way! I thought I had heard a missfire and slugish pick-up from one of the engines on our approach to land!(this aircraft only had 2 engines!!!) That's the problem with being a mechanic, you notice these things.They were still there when we all left.
    We had to travel to Prague for one of the meetings and started our journey from Franfurte. This involved traveling on the autobahn and was great fun. I was driving and had my right foot firmly planted on the floor, driving on the govenor, remember it was a diesel. We were 4 up plus trailer and would pass cars when going downhill only for them to pass us on the uphill sections, this went on for miles.Eventually we got to the German border point and presented ourselves to the border guards who promptly asked us if we new where we heading, slightly worrying!!. Still on we went down this very sraight road to be confronted with a gantry with search lights a soldiers patroling with machine guns at the ready. Once the gates were opened we crossed over into the communist side of the world and pulled up at the checkpoint, only to meet Joel Roberts.Now, we have 2 of the best known european riders behind the iron curtain who are so well liked there. Joel, being a bit of a prankster, started lobbing banger type fireworks around, just as well the guards took it in good spirit as they had recognised Joel and Dave.

The meeting was very wet and I knew I was in for a great time getting the bikes clean for the next meeting. When we arrived back in Germany for the meeting we happend to pass a bus/coach workshop,about 100yds from the track. When we had unloaded everything Dave said take the bike down to the bus station and see if you can use their pressure washer, he had spotted as we passed by, so off I go and I'm not going to push the bike that far. Need I say more, couple of kicks and the bike is running and of I go, riding it down the road. That pressure washer certainly made light work of cleaning the bike!. Once the meeting was over a load-up and return to base was carried out.
    Back at the comp' shop a conflict came about between me and the company over a local newspaper article about me and Greeves along with a personal matter that the top brass were not to happy about and led to me leaving Greeves.
    So, this is the last of Tales from the comp' shop. I hope you have enjoyed these small snippets and I wish I could have remembered more details, but it is such along time ago and a lot of things have happened to overwrite those memories.

Regards.

Mike.

PS. Colin, you have my permission to use this and edit as required.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MikeV; 22/03/2015, 04:46 PM. Reason: Attach photo

Great story mike...shame there is a sting in the tail though, but thanks for taking the time & retelling it for all to enjoy...

Comment

Great stories, once again, thanks Mike. Throwing fireworks around in the presence of Eastern Bloc border guards - what a nutter! I was strip-searched by East German border guards once, but that's another story.
      Bit of a sad ending, probably just a silly misunderstanding.

Comment

Thanks for your recollections Mike, a brilliant insight to what I/we could only dream about.

Colin

Comment

Tales from the comp' shop part's 1&2

I would just like to say Thank You for all the comments so far.

It has been a pleasure to share the stories, it certainly got the grey cells working!! And it bought forward other happy memories of around that time.

Again, many thanks.

Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeV View Post
            PS. Colin, you have my permission to use this and edit as required.
            Have done so, Mike. Thanks

Any chance you could send me an email with the picture attached?
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hi Colin,

See what I can do.

Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeV View Post
                I would just like to say Thank You for all the comments so far.

It has been a pleasure to share the stories, it certainly got the grey cells working!! And it bought forward other happy memories of around that time.

Again, many thanks.

Mike.
                Mike Pleasure has all been ours - great to get an engineers perspective on things many thanks - and any more reflections and stories we would love to hear . Cheers Kim

Comment

Working...
                X