Pioneer Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pioneer Run

Parked my 1962 Greeves trials bike near a nice 250 black Greeves sport.
    Was it a fellow member? I have been up to Epsom downs 7 or 8 times and
    that is only about the third Greeves I have seen there.
    Saw Rob there last year but he was on an Enfield

Black Greeves Sport

Sounds like an East Coaster if it was a 4T engine. Did you get a pic or registration number John?

Comment

It had paddle fin hubs and the engine was definitely 2t
      sorry get any other details John

Comment

Originally posted by john downer View Post
        It had paddle fin hubs and the engine was definitely 2t
        sorry get any other details John
        Not an EC, does it look like this one (408 EHT) if so its a Black 25DB. Is owned by member 'VeloGC' who had some problems with it earlier in the year after buying it on eBay. Hopefully he now has it sorted.
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 22/03/2015, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Nice bike!

Now that's a really pretty little bike! Lovely bit of kit, and a real credit to it's owner. I like the alloy rims as well, and great to see that the owner has 'gone his own way' with some aspects of originality to make the bike his own, giving it some really nice personal touches, just as it should be in my opinion.

I also really like the contrast that the silver chainguard and shock covers gives, and speaking of colour...In that light the bike almost looks like it's painted a deep, rich, dark brown, even though it's actually black of course...

At the risk of upsetting the purists (...ain't scared though....!) I think that colour would actually work very well indeed on this bike, if it's similar to the 'effect' given in this shot, especially with the gold pinstrip seperating the silver panel on the tank. I reckon when you've got a bike as well put together and clean as this one, you can be a bit 'brave' with colour, and mad as it may sound to many, I personally think it would look really good on a roadster as shiney as this one. Very classy in fact....and it would certainly be different....but maybe that's a problem for some people, because everything has to be the 'same'.....

When you think about it, maybe 'originality' has more in common with being 'original', as in 'unique', than 'as it left the factory'......just a thought.....

Brian.
          Last edited by Brian Thompson; 22/03/2015, 04:02 PM. Reason: Extra words....

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
            Now that's a really pretty little bike! Lovely bit of kit, and a real credit to it's owner. I like the alloy rims as well, and great to see that the owner has 'gone his own way' with some aspects of originality to make the bike his own, giving it some really nice personal touches, just as it should be in my opinion.

I also really like the contrast that the silver chainguard and shock covers gives, and speaking of colour...In that light the bike almost looks like it's painted a deep, rich, dark brown, even though it's actually black of course...

At the risk of upsetting the purists (...ain't scared though....!) I think that colour would actually work very well indeed on this bike, if it's similar to the 'effect' given in this shot, especially with the gold pinstrip seperating the silver panel on the tank. I reckon when you've got a bike as well put together and clean as this one, you can be a bit 'brave' with colour, and mad as it may sound to many, I personally think it would look really good on a roadster as shiney as this one. Very classy in fact....and it would certainly be different....but maybe that's a problem for some people, because everything has to be the 'same'.....

When you think about it, maybe 'originality' has more in common with being 'original', as in 'unique', than 'as it left the factory'......just a thought.....

Brian.
            Not so good if you read through this thread Brian, http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...t=East+Coaster
            Particularly from my post 27/10/2014, 11:48 AM onwards
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 22/03/2015, 04:12 PM.

Comment

It's still a nice bike....(and I'm sure it WANTS to be!!)

Obviously I was referring to the 'cosmetics' John, and had no other knowledge of the bike.....

It's why I would never personally ever buy a 'restored' bike unless I knew 100% that someone had done it right, and then I would expect to pay for that accordingly.

My preference though has always been to go through an unknown bike for myself...That way I KNOW it's 'right', and also means you can usually buy a bit cheaper, even if you may end up spending the same amount by the time you've finished. But, you know it's right and that it works. Hard to see that 'just rebuilt crank' unless you've got x-ray vision......

All that glitters isn't gold (or dark brown even.....), for sure, but in this case surely it has to be worth persevering with. It'll be a little cracker when it's done, I'd have thought.

I agree with Rob....post #19; http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...Coaster&page=2

Brian.
              Last edited by Brian Thompson; 22/03/2015, 04:31 PM. Reason: Link added.

Comment

This was I think a nice coat of paint covering a multitude of sins. Just that the faults on this bike rang bells of that trip to Battlesbridge when Malcolm Powley owned 408 EHT. It was not Malcolm who sold it to VeloGC. That was a subsequent owner in the Cambridge area, not a GRA member I might add. The bike was at one time owned by Don Heath I believe.

Comment

Just an update on progress chaps. After exhausting my scanty 2 stroke knowledge and reading all the comments on this bikes engine problems, I have acknowledged defeat and have sent it to Villiers Services for Louis to sort it out. I really am looking forward to riding it and shall probably take it to the Kent Show this year. I may do a daily change of bikes using the Greeves, the Velo Viper and the Velo MOV just to vary the section content.
                  Now to search for a nice single cylinder Greeves. Any ideas ??????

Comment

Originally posted by VeloGC View Post
                    Just an update on progress chaps. After exhausting my scanty 2 stroke knowledge and reading all the comments on this bikes engine problems, I have acknowledged defeat and have sent it to Villiers Services for Louis to sort it out. I really am looking forward to riding it and shall probably take it to the Kent Show this year. I may do a daily change of bikes using the Greeves, the Velo Viper and the Velo MOV just to vary the section content.
                    Now to search for a nice single cylinder Greeves. Any ideas ??????
                    So it was not your bike that John D saw at the Pioneer run
                    As for a single (I assume you mean a roadster) there is this one with a Cornish dealer but about £1000 over priced. I suppose its worth a phone call to make a sensible offer.
                    Find your dream classic car from over 10,000 private adverts plus many more trade adverts on Europe's No 1 classic cars site. 100% F...

And this one also with a dealer http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1960-Greev...p2047675.l2557 I doubt if it was sold & the eBay ad just expired, again worth the cost of a call.
                    Both 24DB's
                    Last edited by John Wakefield; 23/03/2015, 02:56 PM. Reason: Another 24DB added

Comment

Definitely not mine, John. Mine currently sits in the garage minus its' engine unit.
                      As for the single, I'm thinking more about a green lane type.
                      I'll keep you posted on the comments, outcome from Villiers Srvices.
                      Regards,
                      Geoff

Comment

Working...
                      X