Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T'Internet, well Facebook in particular!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T'Internet, well Facebook in particular!

Just to keep members up to date on Facebook happenings, I'm happy to report that the page started by Tammy Lyn Johnson in Sept 2013 has now 601 followers. That equates to better than a new member every day. The Nicholson Motors page, also mainly Greeves orientated, but not exclusively so, has a count of 266 members.
    The spread of both these pages is largely American and British, but with a smattering of people from all over the globe with an interest in Greeves and other such machines and more than a few people have come to watch the GRA website after finding us on Facebook.

Facebook is all very good but don't forget our forum! We have had a lot of activity lately and people joining. You won't get the info on there that the forum contains or the help and guidance, viz Brian T adding links to the very articles people are looking for (and the article itself if it is a back copy of Leading Link).

I think the differences in the two mediums means they can exist side by side but whereas FB is a commercial platform, our forum is run for the benefit of its members by its members.

Shout the praises of FB by all means but don't forget our little piece of the interweb!

Any miscreants will be made to sit outside Costa (no UK profits) Coffee in cycling lycra using the latest i phone thingy to tell everyone they are there!

Comment

Hear hear! (or should that be 'here here'...)

Well said Rob, agree 100% with all that.

Well......maybe apart from the lycra bit....have you seen me in lycra.....?? It's worse than the shorts mate.....(much worse) and it would only be more of a punishment for others, in my case....)

Brian.
      Last edited by Brian Thompson; 07/03/2015, 11:15 AM. Reason: Spilling.....

Comment

Have no fear, the GRA is being constantly promoted on it's "equivalent"(?) pages on Facebook. Tammy does a sterling job, as do other GRA members who cross-subscribe. As you say, fellas, the two media complement one another very well. There is much on Facebook which would appeal, I'm sure, to dyed-in-the-wool (as distinct from Lycra-clad?) GRA members, and vice versa.

Comment

Hi all, i don`t think there is any danger whatsoever of the forum suffering because of facebook, as has been said, people can enjoy both...
          But my own personal view is that the facebook greeves related pages are a pale imitation of the real thing & to be quite honest!, seem rather dull in comparison...& i say that meaning no offence to all who enjoy or put hard work in to support it.

Comment

Never thought that I (of all people?) would be speaking out in support of the likes of Facebook, especially at my time of life. But perhaps that's why? There's been an awful (?) lot of Greeves-related nostalgia on there in recent time to please the old fogies amongst us.

Perhaps you're both too young, Rob and Dave, to need to look back on what we experienced before, in those "good old days"?

Comment

The oldies among us are doing well with the "nostalgia" side, but, as Rob said, we have had a lot join us on the Forum.........did you ask where they came from? Quite a few have joined the GRA because they first became Facebook page members. That is one of the first port-of-calls now for the "newbie" into any sphere or hobby. You can see the trend on many pages on Facebook, to ask where to go for correct information and advice. The 2 mediums are complimentary and some of us are dedicated to keeping this so.

Comment

Brian, you seem to have taken offence when none was intended....but as you mention it, rob said there has been a lot of activity & new members joining....nothing about coming from facebook!.
                I have nothing against it other than i think its just not as interesting as the gra forum.
                Last edited by dave higgins; 07/03/2015, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnrunnacles View Post
                  Never thought that I (of all people?) would be speaking out in support of the likes of Facebook, especially at my time of life. But perhaps that's why? There's been an awful (?) lot of Greeves-related nostalgia on there in recent time to please the old fogies amongst us.

Perhaps you're both too young, Rob and Dave, to need to look back on what we experienced before, in those "good old days"?
                  Wouldn`t say i was to young john, but i am still creating my past as we speak.... for myself to enjoy in later years.....

Comment

100% wool lycra mix!

Originally posted by johnrunnacles View Post
                    There is much on Facebook which would appeal, I'm sure, to dyed-in-the-wool (as distinct from Lycra-clad?) GRA members, and vice versa.
                    Hi John,

Just wanted to say that, and this is just speaking for myself here of course, one of my hopes has always been that the forum could appeal to BOTH the dyed in the wool AND lycra clad type Greeves enthusiast!

It's all about being inclusive at the end of tha day, and it takes all sorts to make the Greeves world go round......even me.....

Besides, I have been known to post the odd 'serious' item as well.......

bRiAn.

Comment

Dave, I didn't take offence at anything, just trying to get the point over that the Facebook page brings in a different type of enthusiast who searches via that medium before any other, simply because there is so many avenues to explore with that method. As you can see from the "sticky" at the top of the page, the GRA is prominently advertised, and when anything beyond immediate answer comes up, the questioner is directed to this website. Like I said above, this FB page is complimentary to the website, it's not either or, it's a feeder, an instant contact method, so that simple answers can be given quickly, and more involved things directed in this direction.

Comment

Facebook page intentions

Hi all!
                        So good to hear all the input on the Greeves Motorcycle Enthusiasts fabebook page.

I created the group for one simple reason, to unite people whom shared an enthusiasm for Greeves and direct them to the GRA whom I personally believe are the most devoted and knowledgeable Greeves enthusiasts!

When Dave and I started to look into the history of Greeves and restore the MCS there was very limited resources and information this side of the pond, 99% of it was Frank Conley, whom sadly is no longer with us.

The GRA members and forum along with Frank sparked our love and passion for Greeves, leading to an obsession of inconceivable proportions and a few shops full of them It would be an honor for me to guide another fellow enthusiast down that same path and keep the spirit of Greeves growing.

IMHO its all about keeping the marque alive regardless of age, sex, race or even class of riding etc. If its a Greeves then that's all that matters, whether its concourse restore, mechanical restore, or even a Grump.

In this modern day and age Facebook is the number one go to site for social media, if we can capture that one person whom found their dads Greeves in the barn and has a few fond memories of both, but no idea how or what the bike is, we may just keep the passion growing

Comment

Nicholson Motors - Greeves Days 2015 next weekend

Just to highlight how the two mediums complement.....Next weekend is Greeves Days 2015 in the US and Posts and photos from this years Greeves Days US - will be on the Nicholson Motors facebook page in the days after the event ..........

Have a blast Kenny and the US guys - we are all jealous on this side of the pond ...well until the 22nd March when 30 + Greeves take the line in the Greeves Championship 2015 round 1 at Marks Tey !!

I will share links back to the GRA forum as well
                          Cheers Kim

Comment

Working...
                          X