Polishing alloy tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing alloy tanks

I was just wondering if anybody has used the drill polishing kit supplied by Frost and what results they had?
    I have just tried polishing my tank for the 2nd time and the scratches have appeared again at the finished polish . After seeing them appear the first time I flatted the tank in stages to finish with 1200 wet/dry, with no evidence of scratches before polishing. Low and behold they were back again after carrying out the polishing proceedure suplied by Frost.
    Any comments would be welcome.

Mike.

Tank polishing

I know nothing about Frost polishing kits, what is included in the kit ?
    When polishing tanks,after cutting them back with 120 then 240 grit, speed 3000rpm I mop them ( soft but firm mop) in a steady backwards and forwards pattern working along the tank, plenty of wax, need to keep the pressure on the mop, get some heat into it. Best advice I can give, when cutting back with your grit, always cut in a different direction. Also NEVER use a staple on a tank (string type of mop) generates to much heat, burnes the Ali , it also puts lines/grooves in the tank . Only ever use a cotton mop as I say 3000 rpm if you can .

Rob.

Comment

Tank polishing

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply.

Frost's kit includes:- 4" sisal mop, 4" stitch mop, 4" G quality buffing mop. 3 bars of compound:- grey for sisal, green for stitch and blue for G quality mops plus arbor.
      It seems like the mop you call a staple could be equivelent to the sisal (rope type material) so it looks like it's back to the wet/dry to get rid scratches and go straight to the buffing mop and blue soap.

Wish me luck.

Mike.

Comment

Tank polishing

Good luck with it , I polish the big Triton/Norton tanks on a regular basis for people using this method, works very well .

Let me know how you got on .

Rob.

Comment

Tank polishing

Hi Rob,

See todays post by me, alloy fuel tanks, in Links and Resources.

Mike.
          Last edited by MikeV; 26/02/2015, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X