• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shell greeves stickers

dose anyone have shell greeves stickers ! please

gary

Greeves Shell Stickers

Gary,
    I had a batch made, how many do you want?

Druid

Comment

I was deciding on stickers for my RCS Silversone when the fairing has been painted, but the only ones that would be period are plain Shell or Castrol, Renold chain, maybe Champion. The only ones you see now are NGK, Silkolene, Regina etc which seem wrong somehow.
      Perhaps I will leave it plain as very few bikes had any form of sponsorship in the 60s, I've just looked at my pics and it was 1970 before I had a Castrol, Ferodo and NGK stickers on my bike in the Isle of Man. Dogsbody

Comment

Very interesting to look at the history of sponsorship and advertising via stickers on bikes. These days the bikes are plastered with "graphics" that change every year so that if you want to look like a "Factory" bike, you have to change the graphics! I have trouble identifying modern comp bikes as they all look the same and are covered in advertising......not that the centre runners get anything out of carrying all that stuff.
        I was into 4 wheel competition when Ford started corporate livery with their rally cars, so we saw Oil company sponsorship dominating in the early years, then companies like Cossack with Roger Clark, Colibri lighters with Mikkola etc. We all got confused when they came to an RAC with a car liveried with "Allied Polymers".....What is it and where can I buy one?????
        I think that's part of the appeal of Classic bikes to me, I can see the difference between makes and they have very little in the way of stickers cluttering the scene.

Comment

Kind of hijacked this thread a bit but there is a Shell connection. I went to a dozen Manx Grand Prix and TT races as a mechanic in the seventies and eighties. Lew Ellis, as the Shell man always supplied free oils in exchange for stickers on the fairing. Likewise Reynolds chains. Martin Ashwood the NGK man was always equally generous. At the Manx particularly, Ken Inwood, of Hersham Racing, provided Dunlop rubber for a discount price.

I guess Lew Ellis was also involved with Greeves sponsorship.

Comment

I had Shell "sponsorship" in the way of free oil and extra petrol vouchers from Keith Collow,( a real gentleman who died last year ), in '75 and '77 at the MGP. In the late 60s Dunlop fitted new Triangulars and new tubes for £5 a wheel!! Joe Dunphy was also there with a brake relining service. You tell youngsters that and they don't believe you ( copywright Monty Python ). O Happy Days . Dogsbody

Comment

stickers

the good old days in the 1967 tt after practice the renolds crew came over to fit a new chain free just put the sticker on your fairing lad,, i declined much to their shock , then explained that my father was the importer of iwis chains and was quite happy with them , that year only two bikes did not use renold chain ,one was some italian guy called agostini and us on the bsa outfit.i was fine but i often wonder if the mv factory had used renold chain., will

Comment

Working...
              X