Idiots guide to racing a Griffon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idiots guide to racing a Griffon

Can I please have help in finding, applying and passing scutineering for scrambles suitable for Griffon QUB and Griffon 250cc
    I have not raced for 20 years so I am sure rules have changed on helmet stamp etc

Originally posted by griffon380 View Post
    Can I please have help in finding, applying and passing scutineering for scrambles suitable for Griffon QUB and Griffon 250cc
    I have not raced for 20 years so I am sure rules have changed on helmet stamp etc
    I find a handy £10 note always helps!

Seriously though, its pretty basic stuff, working brakes, steering head bearings OK, spokes tight, folding footpegs, no broken levers, suspension that moves, etc...

This may help too: http://www.amca.uk.com/images/downlo..._Book_2014.pdf

Comment

Craig, do you mean, getting started, ie joining a club, getting an amca licence etc?
      Most of the meetings in the south west don`t have scrutineering at all, due to possible legal action against them from accidents involving bikes they have just checked.
      Last edited by dave higgins; 11/01/2015, 09:57 PM.

Comment

re helmet's

Craig - re helmet's it is only ACU meetings that normally inspect your helmet for the ACU stamp ...not AMCA......but clearly you know as well as get the best one u can afford on the old maxim that if you have a $100 head get a $100 helmet !!..........Body armour and protection is much better and ligter than 20 years ago and not too expensive.............the only thing i find really annoying is modern mx gloves are more useful for being a snooker umpire than actually stopping stones breaking your knuckles !! Bring back the old yellow kid skin gloves with the foam knuckle protectors....

Comment

Thanks Kim, I still have an old pair. And some gloves as well boom boom
          Yes Dave. I do mean clubs and licence etc if you can point me in the right direction thanks.

Comment

I suppose the Pre '65 MX Club is a bit remote for you, racing as they do mostly in Essex and Suffolk. Lots of help available there though, much of it Greeves orientated.

Have a look at their website.

Another thing worth bearing in mind is personal: GET FIT! (Apologies if you already are of course...)
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Pre 65 or Mortimer - or worse case Higgo's club !!

Craig - Higgo will be able to guide on best club (note scarily Rob and Dangerous Dick are joining Mortimer MCC...that could influence you ...either way ) ) - you will need to join a club first and then apply for your AMCA licence - which you can now do on line - .........for pre65 it is 16 quid for club and 55 quid for your classic scrambles amca licence...(you can still do day licences for most events if you want to but that gets pricy)

and finally don't forget all guides to racing motocross are Idiot's guides....by definition !!

Comment

Kim, I am looking forward to the carnage already.

Colin, you are quite right. I am not tall enough for my weight right now. I reckon another 2 feet should sort me out nicely.

Comment

Hi craig, i don`t want to get involved in an east verses west argument....back our racing is faster & our tracks better.........
                  As you are s/ton based, you could go either way at a push, but its a fair trek into the unknown over there.....
                  Basically any club will do, i guess most people support there local club, dorset or the new south coast club are both top clubs, also mortimer are one of the best to join, & twice a year east & west meet on there track to thrash out any differences of opinion...it can get messy.....
                  The mud was so bad there three yrs ago, there are still 3 riders trying to finish..., but as kim say`s get onto the amca website, look under classic scrambles & see what events take your fancy, join a club, get a licence, get a bit of reasonable gear together & your there.
                  A scruiteneering check if at all is front & back brake, footpegs returning ok, kill switch, & just a quick look to make sure nothing drastic`s going on, possibly a helmet check.....enjoy....

Comment

Thanks Dave,
                    Only thing I have not thought of is a kill switch which wasn't needed last time I raced. Looking forward to getting back on the track.
                    Craig.

Comment

Working...
                    X