X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24MDS Engine Cradle HELP!!!

Hi All
    Can anyone Help!

I'm currently attempting to restore my somewhat battered and bruised MDS Scrambler. Unfortunately when I bought the bike in the late 70's someone had mutilated the engine cradle to fit a 225 1h engine :-c and, although I used the bike in this format for a couple of years, I have now decided to complete the restoration to the original specification with 246cc 36a engine.

At present I am doing reasonable well, and have managed to source a 36a Engine albeit with only a round head and barrel, which will suffice for the time being. However, I've had no such luck sourcing an engine craddle and at present have only managed to get engine plates suitable for my 1H 225 which don't actually fit my frame neither

And, therefore would really appreciate anybody's help or suggestions for sourcing my quest. I will upload a picture of my engine cradle ('profile area' at the moment) as a fabrication weld repair might be an option, but beyond my skill set at present. As you can imagine I've tried the obvious Greeves people and numerous auto jumbles, but as yet no luck

On a brighter note my 1H 225 is in good working order, previous rebuild (Piston & Bore + .060" Big End bearing, Little End & new Conrod, new main Bearings and all Compression Seals) and as previously mentiones with a new set of engine plates to boot! and will shortly be listed for sell although, probably thro ebay if there appears to be no interest here.

So any Help Please!!! my best contact is nigeljohn-1@hotmail.co.uk
    Kindest regards Nige

How about making some plates from scratch? A lot of work but you could get them laser-cut as a friend of mine has done for his Grumph. If no one can come up with anything, it may be the only way. The drawings exist in basic form but it is easy enough to enlarge them on a photocopier.

Comment

Mds

Hi Rob
      Thanks for the info, the MDS varient used a channel type cradle which also incorporated additional rear gearbox fitting to improve frame rigidity and strength. Plates are an option which I might have to consider at a later point, so will let you know how I get on! kind regards Nige

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel View Post
        Hi Rob
        Thanks for the info, the MDS varient used a channel type cradle which also incorporated additional rear gearbox fitting to improve frame rigidity and strength. Plates are an option which I might have to consider at a later point, so will let you know how I get on! kind regards Nige
        Dave Harrison? used to make them and he advertises in Leading Link

Comment

Good point! I have one of Dave's cradles in my Anglian and it is spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
            Good point! I have one of Dave's cradles in my Anglian and it is spot on.
            I had one in an MDS and it was excellent.He lived near Huddersfield

Comment

Dave Harrison.

Dave Harrison has helped me out with parts for my TCS in the past as well, and as well as being a thoroughly nice bloke to deal with, his work is exemplary and very reasonably priced indeed. Can't praise Dave enough.

He's pretty handy with classic tractors too. Last we spoke (long time ago now) he was 'knocking-up' some new mudguards for an old one (forget which make).....out of sheet metal, like yer do.... Craftsmanship, in a word.

Brian.

Comment

I have always admired the tin-basher's art! Being able to turn a sheet of steel or ally into a wing or mudguard is fascinating to watch. I have visited the Aston-Martin works and seen the guys there doing their art, I could have watched for hours as the one guy was blending a curve into a previously flat piece of metal. When I try this, it comes out with lots of small bumps where the hammer has hit, but he seemed to be able to stroke the hammer through the hit to get a smooth outcome.......I need more practice.....

Comment

Working...
                X