Villiers head gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Villiers head gasket

Over the last 55 years I have owned and ridden many villiers powered bikes (and a villiers powered car). They all had one thing in common, oil dribbling out of the head gasket.
    My "Blue Meanie" sprint bike with a kart barrel, the head gasket just spat itself out so I resorted to a smear of sealant and no gasket. OK for half a meeting and then it would squeek.
    I have been working on an aprillia 125, the head gasket is an O ring so decided to try one on the greeves. i put the head in my lathe and cut a groove for the o ring, put the head on and torqued it down. Bingo, no squeeks, no dribble and I can take the head off and not have to replace a gasket

Nice point gribley, & good tip, glad to see u`r getting involved...

Comment

That's the spirit!

....what he said.....

Nice one Mr Gribly.

Brian.

Comment

it's a mod that will work for any bike and it's invisible to the "rivet counters"

Comment

Rivet counters..... on here!.........honestly......

Comment

Yes it's a good method, and by varying the depth of the ring, you can lower the CR if you want. This is exactly what I did to tame my OSSA 6 Day replica a little, but then I could buy several depths of ring over the counter.

Comment

Sounds good. Is there a particular type of material that the O ring is best made from that you used?

David.

Originally posted by gribley View Post
              Over the last 55 years I have owned and ridden many villiers powered bikes (and a villiers powered car). They all had one thing in common, oil dribbling out of the head gasket.
              My "Blue Meanie" sprint bike with a kart barrel, the head gasket just spat itself out so I resorted to a smear of sealant and no gasket. OK for half a meeting and then it would squeek.
              I have been working on an aprillia 125, the head gasket is an O ring so decided to try one on the greeves. i put the head in my lathe and cut a groove for the o ring, put the head on and torqued it down. Bingo, no squeeks, no dribble and I can take the head off and not have to replace a gasket

Comment

I used a 72mm bore 2mm section Viton o ring (about a fiver for 2 from simply bearings)

Comment

Working...
                X