Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New wheels

Hi there,

The first thing I need to rebuild my two Greeves trials bikes are some wheels I have the hubs but no rims or spokes is there anywhere I can get these from or perhaps I could send mine off and get them rebuilt for me.....

Or maybe someone has some complete wheels I could buy?

Thanks for any help!!

Dave Cox

Dave, i get my spokes & rims from central wheel components at coleshill, if you have the old spokes & rims as patterns, they will supply as required, variety of rims & spokes available, roughly £100 per rim, stainless spokes & nips around £70 per set, but don`t buy galvanised rubbish, stainless gives the wheel so much more.
    Alternately get your hubs painted up & send em off & two built up wheels back, around £220 per wheel plus the carrage. i build my own so can save the £50 they charge for that service, not cheap, but definately worth it. check out the website.

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
      Dave, i get my spokes & rims from central wheel components at coleshill, if you have the old spokes & rims as patterns, they will supply as required, variety of rims & spokes available, roughly £100 per rim, stainless spokes & nips around £70 per set, but don`t buy galvanised rubbish, stainless gives the wheel so much more.
      Alternately get your hubs painted up & send em off & two built up wheels back, around £220 per wheel plus the carrage. i build my own so can save the £50 they charge for that service, not cheap, but definately worth it. check out the website.
      Thanks I'll check it out.......

Comment

Wheels

I must admit to useing s/s spokes however, engineering fact ,you bend a section of stainless and and you run the risk of it snapping (it happened to me ) Had this same conversation with Chris Goodfellow years ago, he would not entertain the idea of fitting stainless spokes.

Just a thought !

Comment

Yes i have heard that, but when kept tight & true, how are you gonna bend a stainless spoke in a way that you would not in en steel grade/equivelent? if a spoke is bent its bent replace it.
          Also, there are many different grades of stainless, & i can not tell you what they use, but i have used them in mx for years & never had one bend or break.., having said that competition to the level chris was involved at is a different ball game.... & if he said there rubbish...... then.........

Comment

I encountered loads of issues with a well known wheel building company. This related to two pairs of conical hubs they laced up in to alloy rims a couple of years ago.
            When I complained about the level of craftsmanship they said "I was too picky!"
            I do however acknowledge that my personal standards and expectations are quite high.

I suggest trying Alf Hagon's as they were the company who sorted out my remedial work at that time. Website available.

I've been building my own wheels since using chromed steel rims (Dunlop replicas) and stainless spokes supplied by Devon Rim Company. Excellent service. Rims are beautiful and true.

My advice is always try and view the wheel builders work before getting any proposed work done and get a balanced view from a number of people about their customer service and level of workmanship. What's acceptable to one individual isn't to another.

Remember some companies punch the spoke hole through the alloy rims and don't drill them, the effect of this can be seen around the spoke hole. Also all spokes should run straight from the hub to the rim with no bowing. My preference is for there to be no spoke thread showing above the nipple once the wheel has been trued.

Hope this helps.......
            Last edited by Gr11mpy; 21/09/2014, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Everbody has some sort of problems with trading companies at some point, but i don`t think its fair to bad press central wheels, or any other company on the forum.
              There are always two sides to every coin....) no offence intended...

Comment

Just a point of interest regarding stainless spokes for motocross use.
                Whilst talking to them today about another matter, i asked about the stainless question, they told me they only supply sm pro" bull dog " spokes, which are made from high tensile stainless steel, devolped for the motocross market, they are hard wearing & will not stretch.

Comment

paddle hubs

Does any one know the correct offset to rebuild wheels?

Comment

What wheels?

Comment

having been building wheels for only 40 years i have a few thoughts on spoke material, on road going bikes i have no problem with stainless but having tried them on one of my trials outfit and on feedback from customers i would use std spokes it seems that the pounding they get in serious competion can cause problems with breakages, i also upset the local branch of the vmcc when asked to do some judging at one of their shows i marked down all of the over restored bikes that had stainless rims i have not been asked back, the offset on half width greeves wheels is 1 inch from the edge of the brake drum on both wheels , i hope this helps you, if you need stainless rims i have them in stock .. pm me for more information ,, will.

Comment

full width British hub co hubs

No off set on this type they are built on the centre line of the hub and rim. There are two spoke patterns I am familiar with. 2 crossing, and 3 crossing. The latter is per factory.

Hope this helps

Phil

Comment

Aawill, as i said on the previous page, you can now get bulldog high tensile stainless spokes, that are designed for motocross & offroad use, so using stainless is no longer an issue....

Comment

Originally posted by mikerwt View Post
                            Does any one know the correct offset to rebuild wheels?
                            1957 and earlier are a different offset and a different spindle

Comment

paddle hubs

paddle hubs foe 1959 25 db i have no rims so cannot measure for wheel builder who wants to know what the offset is ?

Comment

Working...
                              X