Dave Bickers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Bickers

I have to pass on the news that our hero and friend Dave Bickers passed away today, 6th July 2014.

At the instigation of GRA Chairman, Rob Thornton, riders at today's Battlesbridge event assembled on the circuit for a minute of silence as a mark of respect.

We'll pass on all further information as we receive it.

A very sad day...
    Colin Sparrow

This is devastating news. So desperately sad. Thank goodness he managed to get to the States to spend some time with his great friend Jeff Smith a short time ago. He will be hugely missed. Condolences to Sylvia and the family.

Comment

Just so, Dick. Members of the Pre 65 Motocross Club and of the GRA followed up their Minute of Silence by riding a lap of the Battlesbridge circuit in honour of the great man. It was fortuitous that Sarah Bond had brought her 1954 DOT to the meeting, a bike which must have been very similar to the one on which Dave started out on his illustrious career, and that this was allowed to lead the procession today.
      RIP Dave.
      Last edited by johnrunnacles; 06/07/2014, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Dave Bickers RIP

Sad news indeed, another great Greeves rider lost, my sympathy goes to his family. A modest guy was Dave never played on his passed success & always willing to talk to anyone. Glad to have known him. Some years ago I asked him if he or his family still had a log book for a Bedford OB coach they onece owned, that someone I knew was trying to reclaim the reg No of (the Bickers family also ran buses) A few hours later he phoned me back saying "How many do you want" (apparently he had found a few) Dave posted it onto me to send to the owner but did not want any money for it. He said if it will help get the old bus back on the road im only too pleased to have helped" Dave himself restored a Model T Ford bus that his grandfather had started business with & used to attend local rallies with it.

Comment

legend

The sad loss of a true legend!, some very moving tributes on pre 65 facebook page, along with a picture of the demo riders in a respectfull line, the pic says it all! very sad day for everyone.

Comment

A very sad day. At least we were able to honour him at Battlesbridge in a way of which I am sure he would have approved. We will also find it hard to forget the anniversary being the day of the event (or thereabouts).

A man who always had a cheery word for everyone and a damn fine chap, not withstanding his fantastic achievements with Greeves and other marques. Telford will not be the same without him.

Dave, you will live on in our hearts and minds.

Rob

Comment

It's announced on Facebook, but in case you've missed it, BBC Look East at 6.30pm tonight should feature a tribute to Dave, his career and his local comnnections.

Comment

Originally posted by johnrunnacles View Post
                It's announced on Facebook, but in case you've missed it, BBC Look East at 6.30pm tonight should feature a tribute to Dave, his career and his local comnnections.
                Nothing on Look East news at 1.30pm which was dominated by Tour de France & the British Grand Prix at Silverstone. Hopefully something in the 6.30 news tonight which is longer with more regional input.

Comment

Dave Bickers

Yes words cant make up for the enjoyment that dave gave to everybody who knew him, After yesterday at Battlesbridge it will be regular reminder each year we go there.

Dave was one of the most nicest chap to meet and talk too, he allways made time for anyone who wanted a chat about bikes, and unlike a lot of others at the top who tend to forget there roots, I was inspired by watching him at meetings when i could get to one down here in the south and will remember sweing him at Matchams Park in Ringwood using the chestnut pailing as a berm and that was on a big Matchless i believe.

Thanks Dave i would probably never have ridden in scrambles or trials had i not watched you hurling that Greeves about on the satuday Grandstand Tv meetings RIP Dick Faggetter

Comment

As I have related in a 'Leading Link' article a few years ago, Dave Bickers was my first motorcycle hero.

After watching him in the TV scrambles, a visit to Clifton to watch the next event live sealed my own motorcycle time line. Pocket money was exchanged for a Dave Bickers badge - a plastic shield with a safety pin - and then the man himself actually signed MY programme. All too much for the 6 or 7 year I was at the time but how I wish I still had those pieces of memorabilia...

Dave Bickers is personally responsible for two things in my life for which I shall be forever grateful: off road motorcycling and Greeves motorcycles.

Thank You Dave and God's Speed on your journey to the next start line.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
                      Nothing on Look East news at 1.30pm which was dominated again by Tour de France & the British Grand Prix at Silverstone. Hopefully something in the 6.30 news tonight which is longer with more regional input.
                      Nothing on Look East News last night, got overshadowed again by the Tour de France & Silverstone, but this on BBC Suffolk web site with nice video tribute.
                      Motocross "legend" and James Bond stuntman Dave Bickers has died from a stroke aged 76.

Also this report from the Ipswich Star http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/co...dies_1_3673704
                      Last edited by John Wakefield; 08/07/2014, 03:33 PM.

Comment

I have reposted the video report to the American-led Nicholson Motors page on Facebook and many of his pals over there have sent their commiserations and heartfelt sorrow via that medium.

Comment

Local media tributes

Tribute, as promised, was broadcast on the BBC Look East programme at 6.30pm last night, and has been pasted now on Facebook.
                          Also, a full page was given over to the Great Man in today's East Anglian Daily Times, with accompanying period photos by David Kindred.
                          Last edited by johnrunnacles; 08/07/2014, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnrunnacles View Post
                            Tribute, as promised, was broadcast on the BBC Look East programme at 6.30pm last night
                            Was not in the Cambridge edition, not even a mention, so must have been restricted to Suffolk

Comment

Dave Bickers.

I was very sad to hear this news.....

We have witnessed the passing of a true legend, but Dave's legacy will live on in all our memories.

RIP Dave, never forgotten.

Brian.

Comment

Working...
                              X