Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves 24DC Running problems

Good Morning all.

Sorry if this is the wrong section, but I have a problem with the running of my 24DC. I also had to wait till my son got back from holiday - seeing as i'm computer illiterate!!!

She starts fine and will go for a ride, but sometimes she will just die and I have problems starting her back up again.

When I take the plug out it's dry as a bone.

When I get home and take off the carb, check it - (all seems ok) give it a clean, then put it back on and she fires up fine.

Starting to get really annoyed about this as I cant go very far.

It has a fuel filter fitted.

Has anyone had the same problem or do I need a better carb/different carb?

Many Thanks
    Dave Sampford - GRA Member

Job to say David without actually seeing the bike, but it does point to fuel starvation. You say it has fuel filter fitted presumably an after market in line one, this may be blocked. Is the fuel flowing freely through this? Maybe the main jet has a partial blockage, take the jet out & blow with through with an air line. Also check that the float needle is working ok & float height adjusted correctly.
    One final thing, the filter in the tank (part of the tap) may be blocked, remove the tap & check.

Comment

If the engine is hot the plug might appear to be dry when you take it out.

John's advice is sound of course, but if that doesn't work it might be worth replacing the capacitor (aka condenser).

How does the spark look when the bike is playing up?
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Couldn't be something daft like the fuel tank breather hole in the cap? I was on a charity run to France once and after getting off the ferry at Dieppe, my bike petered to a halt on the seafront at 4 am. I took my helmet off and could hear a faint hissing. The ferry man had put a loading sticker on my filler cap as he did not want to put it on the paint and that was the problem (thank goodness!)

Comment

Hi Dave,

As Colin indicated this might be an electrical problem more than a carb problem. I would check over all the electrics to eliminate any issue there before I would go changing carbs. You could have an intermittent fault in your HT coil/s, or as Colin said the condenser could be on it's way out. The points might even not be set up properly. As the motor heats up parts will expand and the fault appears and so on...

Vibration can play havoc on electrical parts too. Particularly if they are old.

Good luck.

David.

Comment

Working...
          X