24TGS Anglian Mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24TGS Anglian Mystery

Having just received LL 176 I am intrigued by Peter Smith's piece about a TGS Anglian that was supplied in 1965 with a dual seat to a Tony White thought to be at the time living in the Maidstone area of Kent.
    Although I can add nothing more myself I would suggest though that Peter is looking at this from maybe the wrong angle. ie that Mr White was actually going to use it to ride in trials.
    Is it not conceivable that Tony White was not going to use the Anglian for trials but maybe as transport on an expedition in some far off country over difficult terrain & unmade roads. (I recall recently seeing a pic of a Scottish being handed over to someone who I think was undertaking missionary work)
    Other possibilities are that the bike (and maybe the others listed with dual seats) were for display purposes (aka Royal Signals display team) Many of these bikes have dual seats so they can carry more than one rider.
    A further possibility is that Mr White just wanted an off road bike to go green laneing or maybe course mark or marshal at events. There were few if any off the shelf TRAIL bikes back then.
    Also companies such as water boards were known to buy Greeves for their employees to use for meter reading etc, a batch of trials bikes would make sense for say electricity boards/companies that had remote installations or pylons that needed inspecting.

TGS Anglian Mystery

Putting my amateur detective hat on I have just had a Google around & have come up with a pdf quoting Tony White who may be a member of the Sidcup & District M C C. He entered (No35) in their Jack Thompson trial 28th December 20?? He was entered on a 350 AJS so it could be our man

The Sidcup Club can be contacted here http://www.sidcupmotorcycleclub.co.uk/about_us.html

A lead, might be worth contacting them Peter.

Comment

Anglian Mystery

I think that may be another Tony White. I knew of Tony White who was a member of Bexleyheath club in the SE centre. He used to ride a TES in trials and he also rode grass track. He always had new bikes and was smartly turned out. He was a serious trials rider and just to add a possibility the Bexleyheath club held a gymkana each year with pillion passengers taking part on the back of trials bikes. I will give details to Peter at the Agm on Sunday. If you see this Peter don't forget to bring a large dark blue sweatshirt with you...John P.

Comment

Working...
      X