Greeves identification help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...... etc.,

One problem that I constantly had with the Greeves was fouling plugs. At 16 I knew how to build them, but tuning was a black art! As I said, I'd used the 'best looking' bits. I'd used a big, but clean AMAL Monobloc Carb, possibly the same type as fitted to the MDS, with jets that weren't matched up, just not damaged!
    I found that using a triple point Lodge plug and high revs kept it going. A swap of manifold and to a VCilliers S.25 Carb helped too, but by then I'd sold it. The tale of the brass screw that held in the needle coming adrift featured in an early Leading Link
    So, it was possibly running too rich. The Mayfield expansion chamber didn't help either. (Neighbours & Police). I fitted the up & over pipe which (a) always leaked oil at the joint, (b) melted my overtrousers.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Rotherham View Post
      Hello Colin, I hope that you are ok. I can't say if I'll be at the AGM, things here as difficult as ever. Recent Deaths in the family and a lot of financial problems tied in with my life/work pattern doesn't give me much scope for things like the AGM.

Back to my original Scottish. The old 'green' log book had Hyland-Crowe in the first 'box'. It may have been a continuation or replacement one of course, but now, some 40 odd years later, I can't remember.

I'll probably make Stafford, but don't count on it. Until then, all the best P.R.
      156 COL (not on the DVLA records) was a Birmingham registration so it looks as though Hyland Crowe sold it new, & registered it. From what Colin says it looks like it was dispatched from the factory to another dealer then traded to Hyland Crowe. If they had a customer for one it would have been quicker than waiting for another one direct from the factory. Swopping bikes between dealers was a common practice.
      Last edited by John Wakefield; 29/09/2015, 07:47 PM. Reason: 156 COL not on DVLA

Comment

What an excellent thread! This just goes to prove the value of the forum. An enquiry from the 'outside world' comes in and almost instantly, it is descended on by a panel of GRA experts and the history of the bike revealed! Membership is mentioned and up pops Andy with the solution - what a well-oiled machine!

Seriously though, I have tried several forums for other marque questions and either get nothing back or a load of old rubbish. It is re-assuring to see our system working as intended and helping people out.

Regarding forks, Silverstone fork legs are 19" long and TCS 23 1/2" long. They are also a slightly different type.

Service Notes and Parts Lists are around but are not illustrated in today's sense of the word! However, engineering drawings are available to GRA members which certainly help out, particularly if you need to make parts.

Mac, you will be very welcome as a member of the GRA and after all, our offer is too good to miss! Please let me know when you have joined (or maybe Andy can) and then I can upgrade you.

Thanks all!

Comment

Hello Everyone,

Just to complete the conversation on the forks, both sets are approx 23 inchs from top of the yolk to bottom.
          The difference being where one has the complete circle of metel where the shock appears at the lower end of the fork, the other has a cut out in the shape of a "U" where the shock appears. I suspect the 2nd type is the later version to allow more travel in the suspension.

Best regards,
          Mac

Comment

That was quick!

Originally posted by Rob View Post
            Mac, you will be very welcome as a member of the GRA and after all, our offer is too good to miss! Please let me know when you have joined (or maybe Andy can) and then I can upgrade you.

Thanks all!

Mac, your membership application arrived today - the April L/Link newsletter should be available any minute - as soon as I have it I will send out your membership pack, and hopefully Rob will upgrade your forum status for you.

Thanks!
            AndyB

Comment

Upgraded!

What type of loop do the forks have? One that stops short of the pivot point or one that wraps underneath. The latter are the later, sturdier type.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
                Hello Everyone,

Just to complete the conversation on the forks, both sets are approx 23 inchs from top of the yolk to bottom.
                The difference being where one has the complete circle of metel where the shock appears at the lower end of the fork, the other has a cut out in the shape of a "U" where the shock appears. I suspect the 2nd type is the later version to allow more travel in the suspension.

Best regards,
                Mac
                The fork with the cut-out is the later version. The purpose of the cut-out is to make it easier to remove or refit the damper.
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Hello Everyone,
                  I have made an attempt to post pictures of the 2 projects listed under this thread. Click on Mac and view the photos attached. They appear much too large on my computer, any suggestions on how to post in the future from a jpeg image on my desktop. Sorry for the poor attempt.
                  Also how do I delete an image from the album if i have posted the same image twice!

Thanks again,
                  Mac

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
                    Hello Everyone,
                    I have made an attempt to post pictures of the 2 projects listed under this thread. Click on Mac and view the photos attached. They appear much too large on my computer, any suggestions on how to post in the future from a jpeg image on my desktop. Sorry for the poor attempt.
                    Also how do I delete an image from the album if i have posted the same image twice!

Thanks again,
                    Mac
                    You have only duplicated one pic, to delete it go back into your album, select the pic you want to remove, click on it then click on edit from there you can delete (or if you wish to add or amend text)
                    You cannot resize the pics once posted you have to resize them before posting. If you post them on a photo hosting site like http://www.servimg.com/ you can do it there. At least the pics are large enough to see fine details. looks a do-able project.

Comment

Thanks John

Comment

Working...
                      X