Greeves Days UK???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves Days UK???

Elsewhere on the forum, our Chairman, Rob, ponders the question of persuading members to use, and where applicable compete on their Greeves.

An age old question that has consumed many hours of committee time since the club began. We have to cater for all classes of member and achieving any degree of success will never be easy. The scrambling fraternity seem to be well catered for with the Greeves class in the pre-65 Moto Cross Club. Nonetheless, there are still scrambles bike owners who would just like to have the occasional ride without the competetive element.

Equally trials machine owners can be catered by locally run trials. The downfall being the standards of course setting, even on begginners routes. Our own Trials section has faltered somewhat despite the sterling efforts of a few and hopefully we will see perhaps a few more events this year.

I've never been to a Greeves Days event in America but it seems to me that this could be a possble way to go in the future. A weekend event, trials, road, and scrambles catered for. Maybe an event in association with another club?

What do you think??

Phil

What about the road riders & road racers? They may be in the minority but Greeves did make road & road racing bikes

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Hyde View Post
      Elsewhere on the forum, our Chairman, Rob, ponders the question of persuading members to use, and where applicable compete on their Greeves.

An age old question that has consumed many hours of committee time since the club began. We have to cater for all classes of member and achieving any degree of success will never be easy. The scrambling fraternity seem to be well catered for with the Greeves class in the pre-65 Moto Cross Club. Nonetheless, there are still scrambles bike owners who would just like to have the occasional ride without the competetive element.

Equally trials machine owners can be catered by locally run trials. The downfall being the standards of course setting, even on begginners routes. Our own Trials section has faltered somewhat despite the sterling efforts of a few and hopefully we will see perhaps a few more events this year.

I've never been to a Greeves Days event in America but it seems to me that this could be a possble way to go in the future. A weekend event, trials, road, and scrambles catered for. Maybe an event in association with another club?

What do you think??

Phil
      Hi Phil,

It really works out well for us over here.

Having the right piece of property is key. My good friend Mike Beanway has 45 acres of land that is prime for setting up our trials sections. Mike also lays out a little scrambles course for the fellows. As most of you know we have our show on Saturday and the trials on Sunday. At one time Frank with a few of the others who had road legal road bikes had their own little cruise through the hills surrounding Mike's property. Next year we're thinking of having a BBQ on the property instead of heading down to the Saloon where it was getting too difficult to provide seating for all. Many members like to camp overnight and have a few rounds around the fire pit, so we're leaning towards the BBQ to keep the fellows off the road if they had a little too much cheer. It's a fun event and a chance to see all the different Greeves produced. We have had a Silverstone or two show up...and even an Invacar!

Regards,

Kenny Sykes
      USA

Comment

Further to Phil's comments, I just thought I should add that there is opportunity for Greeves scrambles bike owners to ride in Pre 65 Club events (so long as they have an AMCA licence) without necessarily feeling obligated to "compete" with the front runners.
        There is the Greeves Class within the usual programme of events where any Greeves rider will be made to feel very welcome; Dave Harper's original vision for his Greeves Championship was to encourage "sleeping" owners to bring out their mothballed scramble bikes from the back of the garage and to use them for their intended purpose, and his very clever handicapping system enables riders of all abilities to have a ride at their own speed around a scramble course.
        Alternatively, you can ride your Greeves bike amongst the mixed makes in the Clubmans Class, which is intended for the more casual/less experienced rider.
        In either Class, you will find someone to "play with" amongst the back markers, if that is where you feel most comfortable to ride. The faster riders are well used to riding around the back markers, so long as you "hold your line" when they lap you (and me)!

Come and join in the fun!

experiencedbackmarker!
        Last edited by johnrunnacles; 06/08/2013, 09:45 PM.

Comment

But John, even backmarkers are heading the field at some point during the race, albeit a lap behind ....
          But going back to phils thread, what a great idea that would be, to bring all of the competition side of greeves together, riders & machines alike.
          It would certainly take some orgainising, but could be more than worth the effort, if enough people got behind it.
          I have never been to battle bridge, but i imagine that it is the closest thing to a greeves day in the uk, at present.
          Last edited by dave higgins; 06/08/2013, 10:13 PM.

Comment

The GRA trials weekends that Jerry Capon used to organise had a similar feel to them. Easy trial or trials instruction day one, barbecue and boozeup Saturday evening, more "serious" trail day two. Or free riding on the superb piece of land he used. Great days!

As near as we've come to Greeves Days, love to do it again - with a display/concours and a road run as well. BUT would it be supported?

And who could organise it?

What about chartering a C130 to take us to California next February...?
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
              The GRA trials weekends that Jerry Capon used to organise had a similar feel to them. Easy trial or trials instruction day one, barbecue and boozeup Saturday evening, more "serious" trail day two. Or free riding on the superb piece of land he used. Great days!

As near as we've come to Greeves Days, love to do it again - with a display/concours and a road run as well. BUT would it be supported?

And who could organise it?

What about chartering a C130 to take us to California next February...?
              Book it for March Colin! We moved it up a month.

Kenny

Comment

Working...
              X