Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road gearing for mds engined scotish

Hope i'm doing this right,not good with commputers.wont be doing
    trials just b road riding,any sugestions on g/b rear sprocket sizes....................taxiden

Originally posted by taxiden View Post
    Hope i'm doing this right,not good with commputers.wont be doing
    trials just b road riding,any sugestions on g/b rear sprocket sizes....................taxiden
    For road use you need to aim for around 6 to 1 overall top gear ratio.
    The engine & clutch sprockets on the 31/32A series Villiers engines are 20 & 43 thus making primary ratio of 2.15 to 1. So you need a final drive ratio around 3.85 to 1, so if you have a 15T gear box sprocket you will need a 58 rear. So what ever your current gearbox sprocket is multiply it by 3.85 & fit the nearest size rear sprocket. If the g/box has trials ratios you should have a low enough 1st & 2nd gears for any off road stuff ie green lanes.

Comment

mds road gearing

Thanks for that John,spot on, primary 20/43 ,current gearing 15/60,I'll try a 58.Gearbox marked WR(M) 151 duse that mean any thing ?
      Regards denny.

Comment

Originally posted by taxiden View Post
        Thanks for that John,spot on, primary 20/43 ,current gearing 15/60,I'll try a 58.Gearbox marked WR(M) 151 duse that mean any thing ?
        Regards denny.
        Dont know maybe wide ratio!!

Comment

Hi,

WR does mean wide ratio, the 151 bit will probably actually be 15T as that was the standard final drive sprocket size for that gearbox. (15 teeth)

A trials gearbox will be ok for the road but not ideal because of the low 1st and 2nd with a big jump to 3rd.

Good luck with your project.

Scott

Comment

Working...
          X