Drilling with caution.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling with caution.

Elswhere on the forum caution is advised regarding the continued use of non-standard (OE) components that have been drilled to save weight. In particular brake torque arms.

Typical Original Equipment torque arms, stamped "British Hub Co.", were made of carbon or mild steel. These were made from stock size metal 1" and and 1/8" by 1/8". This would take in excess of 4 metric tons to break. In reality, the bush housings on the ends of the front torque arms are the weak points. On the rear component the fixing holes will be the weak point.

A torque arm made from 6082 aluminium alloy, a fairly common material, at size 300 x 6 mm will take 7.38 metric tonnes to break. Once again, the fixing holes are likely to be the point(s) of failure

Provided you have sourced your aluminium materials correctly you can drill lightning holes, effectively weakening the cross sectional area, by quite a margin before you drop below the equivalent steel component.

All the aluminium plate used in triumph-Greeves engine plates that I make and sell come with a certificate of conformity, effectivly a mill cert. Off cuts are kept and batch numbered. Scrap is just that.
    Last edited by Phil Hyde; 12/07/2013, 07:28 AM. Reason: Spurious word corrected in para 2.

Good advice & information Phil, but unlike steel, aluminium alloy unless sourced from new from a metal supplier could be of undeterminable quality if sourced from 'the scrap bin' or other source. Although visibly it would look the same, technically it could be soft alloy that would not have anywhere near the same tensile strength of the grade you mentioned. Stainless steel would probably be the best alternative as it could be made to same dimensions as the original & of course will be corrosion resistant.
    In most cases with our 'old bikes' lightness is not an issue as few are used in that ultimate competition element where every gram counts. I am sure the torque arm I highlighted is really only for show & being on a road going bike would have very little advantage to performance, & those holes do look large.
    Me personally I would rather keep on the safe side & live on a few more years to ride my bike.

Comment

Working...
    X