Roadsters is interest waning!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadsters is interest waning!!

Looking at the postings here on the forum, there is very little on the Greeves Roadsters. Whilst there does seem a continuing interest in the trials & scramblers the postings on roadsters and the Silverstone road racers seems very dormant. Ok I know the main output of the factory was the trials & scramblers but until a few years ago there was a good deal of interest in the roadsters, particularly the twins. I suppose the age of the owners has something to do with it as somehow I dont think the roadsters have the appeal to the younger rider that larger bikes have & I suspect that many road bikes are lying dormant in sheds. How many bikes are still being actively used? I must admit I dont cover the mileage I did when I first bought my East Coaster in 1999, did just 1200 miles last year about half what I did in 2005/6 What do other members think.
    Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 08/10/2012, 07:54 PM.

Roadsters,is interest waining?

As an owner of a 25DC plus a 32DC I find that the organised charity runs which I used to ride are now fewer than in previous years,A theory I think could be the number of modern so called classics which appears at these events,making riding not very compatible with machines which accelerate and stop more quickly.I look forward to next years glorious summer when I intend to ride alone.

Comment

Hi John, I find that I ride my East Coaster more each year and the G3LS less mainly because of it's ease of handling and performance.

Comment

Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
        Looking at the postings here on the forum, there is very little on the Greeves Roadsters. Whilst there does seem a continuing interest in the trials & scramblers the postings on roadsters and the Silverstone road racers seems very dormant. Ok I know the main output of the factory was the trials & scramblers but until a few years ago there was a good deal of interest in the roadsters, particularly the twins. I suppose the age of the owners has something to do with it as somehow I dont think the roadsters have the appeal to the younger rider that larger bikes have & I suspect that many road bikes are lying dormant in sheds. How many bikes are still being actively used? I must admit I dont cover the mileage I did when I first bought my East Coaster in 1999, did just 1200 miles last year about half what I did in 2005/6 What do other members think.
        Does anybody know what the percentage of road, trials and scramblers made over the years were?

Comment

Hi John,
          Now that I have finally got it sorted properly, even though I have a choice of several other bikes, I prefer to ride my East Coaster. If I am riding for pleasure as opposed to having to get somewhere I'll take that rather than even my Yamaha Phazer (am I allowed to mention one of those on here?) so there is definitely one that gets used.
          Perhaps the roadsters are more reliable as they most likely don't get the thrashing the competition bikes do so there is no need to write to the forum.
          It took a while to get it there but mine seems to be and it's the way of the world, nobody ever writes about the good things, only when there's trouble.
          Ian.

Comment

Greeves production figures

Originally posted by Stuart Baskill View Post
            Does anybody know what the percentage of road, trials and scramblers made over the years were?
            Stuart I seem to recall a list of the models produced & manufactured numbers for each model, thought I had a copy but cant lay my hands on it. I think it was collated by Druid so maybe he can scan a copy onto forum.
            I think the road bike production was around 25% of bike output

Comment

John ,

Bike percentages can't be worked out correctly as there is no record of the number of export bikes .

Chris

Comment

Road bikes waining

Hi John, I have a keen interest in the road bikes and use my 24 df Staffordshire Police Model in BTSC and VMCC events 2up most of the time. Its the ideal bike to use for bimbleing around the B roads and country lanes. If I need to nip out its my first choice but I must admit that if I have a high mileage longer trip then I prefer to use my bigger four strokes! So keep contributing on the forum John as I for one read all your posts.

Comment

roadsters,is interest waining

Since I've had my 25dc for just over 2 years now,see 25dc trouble shooting,and all problems have now disappeared and the bike rides and performs really very well,I haven't been in touch much but still read all your remarks.
                  I did take a small ride out yesterday,around 25 miles but as I'll be 75 years young on the 10th of this month I think that may be my limit,although I have ridden about 1500 miles this year but purely local cos my knees seem to ache more than they used to !
                  I would still like to come to a re-union sometime but I guess that will have to wait till next year now cos I still haven't got a towing hook, or a trailer for that matter.
                  Keep riding,Bryan

Comment

Just a thought, but why don't you roadster folks enter a team in the ACU National Road Rally next year (6th / 7th July 2013). You can choose the distance from 120-540 miles. It can be on the Saturday, early on Sunday, or the full event of 540 miles over night. It's a great event and people do it on all sorts of bikes and ages (bikes and riders). For instance the last two years I have taken part in the full 540 miles event on a little 30 years old Honda XL250 trail bike. But plenty of people do it on British classics of all sizes, scooters, small modern bikes right up to the latet BMWs with satnav fitted. There is even a prize for the highest combined age of bike and rider. Its a great event and a true celebration of what motorcycling is about. (http://www.nationalroadrally.co.uk). There is nothing quite like the taste of that early morning bacon butty when you have been riding all night.

Comment

road riding with roadsters

I think why people are doing less miles is the danger of being knocked off and killed with the increasing road traffic (what i see as a bus driver is frightning)
                      also the free time is less due to working harder to just live but i have three bikes (not road ready) but look foward to getting them done and a spin with the vmcc around cornwall

gary

Comment

Working...
                      X