Marks Tay 24th JUNE.....yes JUNE 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marks Tay 24th JUNE.....yes JUNE 2012

David Witney on one of his Griffons......I think!
    Attached Files

Marks Tey

That's "Tay" as in "River Tay" then..?
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Mmmmmm

Dont remind me!!!!

Such a shame for Terry Sewell and Dave Harper, so much work was put into running the East Anglian Grand National.. even Dave Bickers was there

And he fired up one of his old Greeves, what a din with the open Mega

After the first Greeves race just as the course drying out nicely, WHAM

THE WORST RAIN I HAVE EVER SEEN came down for about 20mins in the sidecar race, it turned the course into a swamp, lots went home

Only 15 Greeves made the start for race 2, and quite a few did not finish.

I still feel knackered now, it was no better than Reading last year, fortunately there are not many hills at M/T

Got to clean the bikes now, oh yeah theres a hosepipe ban!!! Such Fun

Scotty

Comment

The British Monsoon Season. (aka 'Summer.)

Hi Scott,

What a shame for everyone...

As you say, it takes a lot of time and hard work to make these things happen from all concerned. Then, for the competitiors, there's prepping the bikes, fuel costs travelling to the event, etc etc etc. The list goes on...

The poor weather has hit so many outdoor events recently, not to mention the communities it has effected, and it certainly seems to be a growing trend these days. Factor in the current economic climate meaning that people are having to be more careful with any 'disposable income' (eh?...what's that then...?), and it just makes the commitment and enthusiasm of those who take part all the more admirable to me.

I do hope the next meeting is less 'aquatic' in nature (hang on.....an 'amphibious' Greeves...! Now there's a thought!!!) for everyone. Otherwise, competitors may need to consider some modifications, and I'm not sure the Pre65 club rules allow for stuff like this....(see attached pics.)

Yes indeed, the 'British Monsoon Season' is a pain in the wotsit for anyone who rides a motorcycle.....Hope the pics raise a smile mate, and cheer you up a bit.

Brian.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
          David Witney on one of his Griffons......I think!
          yeap thats me....380 qub

i had a good 2nd greeves race... mud mud and more mud

david

Comment

I only realised the rider through the mud because of the distinctive numbers used. I have many more that will take a fair bit of comparison with dryer pics to find who they really are!
            I always wanted one of the 2 wheel drive Yamaha Trail bikes, but could never quite justify the expense.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
              I only realised the rider through the mud because of the distinctive numbers used. I have many more that will take a fair bit of comparison with dryer pics to find who they really are!
              I always wanted one of the 2 wheel drive Yamaha Trail bikes, but could never quite justify the expense.
              think the 2 wheel drive from the late 90's is being re developed again now...?

Comment

Mud Mud Mud

Hi all,

I also had a good day, it is as Brian T says just SO much more work, but still despite the conditions still very fun, I feel off in the 1st pre65 race when 4th at least it didnt hurt Ive bent my gear lever though, I wondered why i kept missing gears

Got lots to do to get ready for battlesbridge this sunday, the 360 still needs more work, need to clean the hawkstones etc etc

I just hope the weather behaves?

How much moe rain can we get???????

I will write a report when I get the results from Dave Harper, Brian T is going to help me get it on the forum.

Scotty

PS Brian, I like the balloon tyres on the bike Do you ever NOT see a funny side??

Comment

Originally posted by scott151 View Post
                  Brian, I like the balloon tyres on the bike Do you ever NOT see a funny side??
                  NO!

How else do you think I keep my insanity...?!

Comment

Originally posted by scott151 View Post
                    Dont remind me!!!!

Such a shame for Terry Sewell and Dave Harper, so much work was put into running the East Anglian Grand National.. even Dave Bickers was there

And he fired up one of his old Greeves, what a din with the open Mega

After the first Greeves race just as the course drying out nicely, WHAM

THE WORST RAIN I HAVE EVER SEEN came down for about 20mins in the sidecar race, it turned the course into a swamp, lots went home

Only 15 Greeves made the start for race 2, and quite a few did not finish.

I still feel knackered now, it was no better than Reading last year, fortunately there are not many hills at M/T

Got to clean the bikes now, oh yeah theres a hosepipe ban!!! Such Fun

Scotty
                    I thought I'd be clever and take a gazebo to keep dry.

Mistake!!!

During that 20 minute monsoon, me and a mate had to hold the damned thing down, whilst being blasted by horizontal rain!

As Scotty says, it was quite incredible, last time I saw something like that was in Africa, never in South East England!

Personally, I don't mind the mud, and found it quite good fun, but I did feel sorry for the organisers as so many people went home.

A great event nevertheless, and not forgotten in a hurry thats for sure.

I wonder what Gosfield would be like after so much rain - its quite boggy there anyway. Could be fun!!!

Cheers,
                    Andrew

Comment

Holy Flying Gazebos Batman!

I know what you mean about Gazebos when the wind gets up Andy, especially when it's wet as well...! Happened to our crew on a surf trip to Wales once....we could have all ended up in Ireland trying to hang on to the thing...!

Quick plug time. If anyone is interested in the Pre65 club race calender for the rest of 2012, have a look on their excellent website-lots of interesting stuff to see.

Here's a direct link to the calender page; http://www.pre65.co.uk/race-calendar/

Brian.

Comment

Monsoon

Sounds like the same shower (or its best mate) that caught me and the Sports Twin out on the way to the Cambridge Show. Haven't experienced rain like that for a while!

At least the bike kept going - those coils are nicely tucked away under the tank.
                        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
                        X