Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glass fibre petrol tanks and problems with Ethanol in pump fuel.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
    The FBHVC are indeed getting their head around it. Their latest newsletter has an article on the topic and we will be reproducing it in the next Leading Link. I believe Anglian Man may also be adding to the debate..?

FBHVC always approach issues like this carefully and make sure of all their facts, so I'm sure there is more to come from them.

Basically though it is not just fibreglass tanks that are affected. Apparently it makes steel tanks rust above the fuel level. The proof of that is sitting out in my garage! According to FBHVC ethanol also affects (attacks?):

Zinc and galvanised metals
    Brass
    Copper
    Lead/tin coated steel
    Some aluminium alloys, E100 supect?

Buna-N seals
    Neoprene seals
    Urathane rubber

Polyeurethane
    Some polymers
    Nylon 66
    Fibreglass-reinforced polyester and epoxy resins
    Shellac

Cork

And apparently that's not all. I reckon that means that vintage and classic vehicles can't be used with fuel containing ethanol. Period.

This clearly has a long way to run.

Peter, my subscription to OBM has lapsed. Any chance you could send me a copy of the article please? New address in latest Leading Link.

The FBHVC information on this subject is simply not correct in relation to GRP fuel tanks! Properly fabricated GRP tanks made using the correct materials and production methods, will work perfectly when used with modern fuels!

The fact that composite fuel tanks have been used without problems for many years at filling stations, seems to suggest that problem free GRP tanks are quite possible.

Issue here though is that very few people producing m/c GRP actually know how to overcome problems with E fuels, or even the correct materials to use!

I pointed out to the FBHVC that what was contended on their site was far from accurate, but my email was ignored............seems that scare mongering, half truths, and indeed complete nonsense is the order of the day in relation to this subject, which doesnt really serve to help anyone much.

Comment

Couldn't stay away Norman?
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Norman, whose norman?, you been on the ethanol again colin or can every body else see a post i can`t. dave.

Comment

Ethanol in Petrol

A colleague has been in touch with Total regarding their top brand "Excellium" and the following was their reply:-

"Thank you for contacting Total UK regarding the ethanol content in our advanced fuels range, Excellium.

Unfortunately we are unable to guarantee if the fuel does or does not contain ethanol.

It is the case that we currently do not blend ethanol into Excellium fuel from our own refinery. However, service stations all over the country are supplied by different locations and refineries depending on supply and demand conditions so we are unable to confidently say our sites will supply ethanol free Excellium as this could change on a weekly basis, depending where the fuel has been delivered from.

Furthermore, ethanol will soon be blended into the product at all refineries."

So be warned!!

Druid

Comment

ethanol

All we can do ian is to go to looe and they stock the petrol without ethanol even dads strimmer is working better ! the ethanol eats the diaphram !!!!!!!! in the carb ! so theres a whole load of trouble comming with ethanol !

regards gary

Comment

Ian....who's Ian? Have you been raiding Colin's ethanol stash again Gary...?!

By the way....hi Norm!

Brian.

Comment

Frosts are now selling an ethanol inhibitor.....

Comment

Inhibitor against what I wonder, another useless, non tested, expensive product no doubt.

Comment

• At £12 for a 250ml bottle it should.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                      Read the MSDS sheet you will not want to use this product even if it works.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
                        Ian....who's Ian? Have you been raiding Colin's ethanol stash again Gary...?!

By the way....hi Norm!

Brian.
                        it drinks well lol

Comment

• Hic!

Don't drink it all Gary...! Save some for me (and Dave!!!)

Comment

• Hi brian, nice to see you back in action, i told you escape from the forum was futile & anyway, your bid to start a new life was doomed to failure in a dress that tight... dave.

Comment

• Hic #2!

Ha!

You're only jealous because I can still squeeze into a size 14 Dave!

On behalf of the GRA Morality Officer (Hi Rob!), I present the following evidence (see attached pic) as a stark reminder of the potentially alarming consequences of ethanol abuse....! (They didn't mention this in the VMCC article....!)

It's not big, it's not clever....just say 'NO' kids! (Take heed Gary!)

Mrs Thompson.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X