Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glass fibre petrol tanks and problems with Ethanol in pump fuel.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by John Wakefield View Post
    Much cheaper & better to change fuel lines than use this stuff. Most of what you read about fuel systems blocking is due to a previously applied tank sealer breaking up due to the ethanol softening it. This product wont stop that nor will it stop fibreglass petrol tanks leaking. I have never used anything other than standard unleaded petrol & two stroke oil in my Greeves (with steel tank) & have not had any ethanol related problems. The engine runs as well now (if not better) than its always done. Most of what you read about ethanol is scare mongering, with faults usually due to other factors such as wear & tear on components, or bad maintainance.
    If you do find components, ie fuel taps, pipes & carb parts being effected by ethanol content much better to replace them at source with resistant new items. As for crankcase oil seals again there is no proof that modern oil seals are effected by ethanol & if they leak replace them with new ones.
    These 'quick fix' products rarely do what the makers claim, I am surpised that the FHVC have endorsed this product.
    Hi John,

I couldn't agree more with your comments! The real worry is that the FHVC are endorsing these products.
    As you say, decent fuel lines and Viton oil seals should cure any trouble.

There still is the fibreglass dissolving problem, but that has been adressed elsewhere.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Comment

• Are we sure the FHVC is endorsing it? Last I heard they were carry out objective testing and would report in due course.

Ethanol might become more of a problem when it goes up to 10%. At that level it I believe it starts to attack some of the metals used in our carburettors. Stateside members would know...
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

• Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
        Are we sure the FHVC is endorsing it? Last I heard they were carry out objective testing and would report in due course.

Ethanol might become more of a problem when it goes up to 10%. At that level it I believe it starts to attack some of the metals used in our carburettors. Stateside members would know...
        According to Frosts web site http://www.frost.co.uk/ethomix-additive.html they are saying its endorsed by FHVC & indeed here is a link to the FHVC web site which confirms that they do endorse it for corrosion resistance in fuel systems & tanks. http://fbhvc.co.uk/2012/04/13/fuel-s...-test-results/
        No mention of protection for fibreglass tanks, or protection to fuel lines, seals etc. So looks as though Frosts may be stretching the endorsment somewhat.
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 19/04/2012, 12:43 PM. Reason: Link to FHVC web page

Comment

• Thanks John, you're on the ball. I just came on line to add the FHVC info 'cos they just emailed me - but you beat me to it.

As you can see folks, I've merged the Ethanol in fuel threads...
          Colin Sparrow

Comment

• Hi colin, good to see your posts back on the forum, regards, dave..

Comment

• Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
              Hi colin, good to see your posts back on the forum, regards, dave..
              I'll second that Dave.

Brian.

Comment

• Problem? what Problem?

£375 of ethanol relief! the only real answer?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by dave higgins; 08/06/2014, 08:10 AM.

Comment

• Very nice too, Dave.

Smart job, how Greeves should have made it in the first place?

Take care.

JR

Comment

• griffon alloy tank

Hello if i can tack this to the end of this
                    but dose any one know how the filler neck fit to alloy tank of the MK1 QUB with alloy tank twist filler ? please

gaz

Comment

• Having read earlier this week that john-boy ( hi john ) had problems with his g/fibre fuel tank, i thought i might add my findings on trying a tank sealer.
                      As you can see from the pic above, my griffon now sports an alloy tank, so as the old one was going in the bin, i thought i`d try one of these two pack sealers, & have to say i followed the instructions to the letter, & what sealer was left over, i poured into two other containers.
                      Both, plus the tank have been filled with modern fuel for 3 months now, & show no sign of deterioration or softening.
                      Not many of these sealents are suitable on g/fibre, & the only problem i faced was the time needed to seal the tank correctly, in that the sealer is like treacle & the more times it circulates the tank, the thicker the lining becomes, about 1.5 hrs of slow turning, used most of the material & the rest was emptied out, as stated above.
                      The sealer i used was around £35, not bad if it stays like that, a mate has had the same sealent in his harley, albeit a steel tank, for four years, so lets see.
                      Keyed up & applied correctly, the only problems i can see are, getting a seal around the filler neck & fuel tap area`s, if fuel can seep between the two matrials, the outer g./fibre may suffer.

Comment

• Very useful information this, it would be great to find a permanent solution to this problem.

One concern though, Dave, was it the same fuel in the tank for the entire three months, and if so do you know for certain if it had any ethanol in it? At the moment not all pump fuels do.

Petrol retailers are not obliged to declare up to ethanol up to 5% - although I understand they will have to once it goes up to 10%.
                        Colin Sparrow

Comment

• Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                          One concern though, Dave, was it the same fuel in the tank for the entire three months, and if so do you know for certain if it had any ethanol in it? At the moment not all pump fuels do.
                          Petrol retailers are not obliged to declare up to ethanol up to 5% - although I understand they will have to once it goes up to 10%.
                          Good point Colin, I think many of the Super Unleaded brands are at present ethanol free (including Shell V Power). Whereas the majority of the standard unleaded brands do contain 5% (at present) Ethanol. If Dave could do a test with standard unleaded known to contain Ethanol this would I am sure be a great help to those members who have fibreglass tanks, especially Essex & DCX roadsters

Comment

• [QUOTE=dave higgins;19179]Having read earlier this week that john-boy ( hi john ) had problems with his g/fibre fuel tank, i thought i might add my findings on trying a tank sealer.

Hi Dave, the Griffon is looking immaculate - will you be riding it at the Dorset Scramble on 28 September?

The petrol tank on my MX4 was bought about nine years ago from Greeves (Richard Deal), I guess it was made by Roger Ennis but I could be wrong.

For the first six years I used a mixture of 114 octane racing fuel mixed with ordinary unleaded pump petrol. I then converted to Bayford leaded fuel for a couple of years. I never bothered to drain the tank after each meeting and had no problem with the GRP deteriorating. This year I started to use Shell V-Power Ultra, draining the tank after each meeting, but I forgot after Gosfield a month ago! I have used Silkolene R40S castor oil throughout.

When I got to Maylandsea last Sunday the engine started OK but I only managed half a lap of practise before the engine cut out due to fuel starvation. I then discovered that the inside of the tank was 'sticky' and the resin coat was peeling off in large sheets! I managed to flush most of the muck out but it eventually blocked the fuel pipe again.

I have now ordered a new tank from Roger Ennis who says that his latest resin coat is ethanol resistant. Roger has also agreed to reseal my old tank with the new material.

I would not recommend Shell V-Power Ultra and will revert to using Bayford leaded, draining the tank after each meeting to minimise any further problems.

Regards
                            John A - 268

Comment

• I should have said Shell V-Power Nitro - not Ultra! From a quick Google it may or may not contain ethanol - depending upon the Country!
                              John A - 268

Comment

• Looks as if it was flying when it did go!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X