What do you think ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think ?

Hi,still sorting challenger(not much time lately)have still been waiting for some bits from greeves (waited four weeks now),this is my first greeves so i thought i would obviously ask for parts and advice from greeves themselves,well what can i say,rang them again today.asyou may have gathered in past forum i am a keen but mechanical novice,(and rider),but the attitude on the end of phone staggered me,after 4 weeks i was told they would try to get hold of an air filter and advised to use a bph 5,not sure this sounds right (appreciate any advice,challenger is 250)
    Then i was told in a very un- interested voice that he would'nt be able to help much with my bike anyway!!!!
    Was this the norm or just a bad day,apart from wasting 4 weeks waiting for nothing!!!:
    I have had more help from people on this forum.

Challenger

If you can make it get yourself over to Battlesbridge on the 3rd July, it`s
    a Sunday so less traffic (see you are in the west country) get their
    early. There are some really good old boys in the Greeves club who "will"
    help you, in fact a lot of them use this Forum, and they will be their, you
    will soon find out the best places to look, or not to look for spares !

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post
      Hi,still sorting challenger(not much time lately)have still been waiting for some bits from greeves (waited four weeks now),this is my first greeves so i thought i would obviously ask for parts and advice from greeves themselves,well what can i say,rang them again today.asyou may have gathered in past forum i am a keen but mechanical novice,(and rider),but the attitude on the end of phone staggered me,after 4 weeks i was told they would try to get hold of an air filter and advised to use a bph 5,not sure this sounds right (appreciate any advice,challenger is 250)
      Then i was told in a very un- interested voice that he would'nt be able to help much with my bike anyway!!!!
      Was this the norm or just a bad day,apart from wasting 4 weeks waiting for nothing!!!:
      Hi there,

I'll try and avoid saying anything libellous, but you are much more likely to get helpful advice, and spare parts, via club members than the source you mention!

Frank Conley stocks foam air filters for Challengers, and his shipping is ususally much less than 4 weeks. There is a K&N filter which fits straight in too, can't remember the part number off the top of my head though.
      I would advise against using a paper filter if you plan racing the bike.
      If you need the part numbers, let me know.

Terry Sewell at TDS services is a very useful source of spares, and if he doesn't have the part in stock, he can ususally find someone who has.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
      Andrew

Original part number Fram CA641-PL
      K&N part number E2330
      Uni Filter - NU3002 (from Frank Conley)
      Last edited by Andy Z; 24/05/2011, 12:07 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

All good options also Terry Sewell is at all pre65 race meets and Greeves championship rounds .... Next race this Sunday at marks tey . This is a Greeves round and expect to see around 40 Greeves bikes and riders many on challengers . All the riders I have met have been more than happy to share tips and advice also a big contingent also go to Battlesbridge
        Cheers kim

Comment

Hi,
          Thanks Kim,Andy and sprocket for your replies,starting to learn bit more already,the frank coney website looks interesting.
          cheers

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post
            In many people's experience this is very much the norm. Dilatory and unhelpful.

The company calling itself Greeves Motorcycles has no continuous connection with the original Greeves factory which packed up in the seventies, they just pinched the name.
            Last edited by Grytpype-Thynne; 26/05/2011, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Pinched!!, i think you mean aquired the rights to the name, don`t want to awaken his legal team do we?

Comment

Okay,i think i've got the picture now,don't want to get you all locked up

by saying the wrong thing!!!!!!

It just seemed an obviouse place to ask for help as the company has the

same name as on my petrol tank !

Comment

Greeves, the name

At the risk of raking over old ground, Greeves Motorcycles Ltd, registered the previously unregistered trade name of Greeves. At the time an unwritten arrangement was made with the GRA to allow continued use of what was effectively the original logo based on OBG's signature. The logo used by Greeves Motorcycles is a version of that.

At the time, the Norton name was being heavily protected by trademark lawyers. There would be little point in pursuing the protection of the Greeves name when there is so much old stock about and little or nothing to be gained.

When it comes to buying parts for your Greeves there is an old saying. Caveat emptor, let the buyer beware.

Phil

Comment

Seems a real shame that Greeves Motorcycles appears to be run by someone who seems to be completely uninterested in actually selling anything to customers, and whose attempts at building a modern trials bike, seem to suggest very strongly he has no real understanding of what he is doing.

Comment

Yes exactly,this was my feeling,when i rang i felt like i was spoiling his day

Have made contact with Frank Conley in the u.s,complete opposite,allready feel better owning greeves plus all the help offered by members on this forum .
                      I did own a stormer and allways recieved advice on the phone from Fluff Brown,and parts sent in post asp !
                      I don't find it easy looking after a classic bike but realse there is plenty of help out there.

Comment

Working...
                      X