New Greeves in 2011 SSDT-update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Greeves in 2011 SSDT-update.

Supposedly 2 of the 3 Greeves bikes entered in the SSDT failed due to cylinder head bolts coming loose! Not to worry though the owner of Greeves seemingly now has a new 4T trials bike being developed for next year, which might be a lot more successful than his 2T effort.

Oh dear, I've heard that story before from the ISDT about 50 years ago! One of the Dutch Selling brothers actually wedged his head and barrel onto the engine with a lump of wood before finding new sleeve bolts.

Comment

Presumably not with Villiers 4T engine!!!!!!

Comment

No mate! 4T now means Quatre Temps or to us, 4 stroke!
        I dread to think the development costs of this one.

Comment

I think a large grant funded the 2T bike, so maybe money for the 4T is coming from the same place? Seems a real shame that if it was head o-ring problems that caused the DNF of 2 of the 3 bikes in the SSDT, that something as simple as this couldnt have been repaired to at least allow all 3 bikes to finish.

Comment

I think we need to be careful about the subject of grants. Yes, I saw a TV piece about this with RD and the bikes shown. Just what the grant was for I'm not sure, as I missed some of the broadcast. It may have been an employment grant or similar.

Comment

I was told the bike was funded almost wholly by a grant, and supposedly this was reported in the local press at the time the money was allocated. However nothing seems at all clear about this project, so that might not be the case at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                Oh dear, I've heard that story before from the ISDT about 50 years ago! One of the Dutch Selling brothers actually wedged his head and barrel onto the engine with a lump of wood before finding new sleeve bolts.
                It was the 1960 ISDT, so you're practically spot on. Sammy Miller dropped out on the first day with stripped sleeve bolts. Couldn't find a suitable lump of wood perhaps?

Oh dear, what a shame....
                Colin Sparrow

Comment

Working...
                X