Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative for nickel coating?

Hi all!

Hope everyone is well and riding nonstop..finally we have great riding weather here!

A quick question....

Soo on all gals...the MCS, The Wessex, the MX5 and the ranger....kickstarts rusted badly. I tried various medias, sand papers...even the most gentle quickly removed the rust and the nickle plating too

Issue...no one this side of the pond close does any type of plating anymore, pesky chemicals

With Eleanor the MCS...I took all the nickle off, smothed with wire wheel and primed and painted a light galvanized steel color...LOOKED GREAT...until after the first few rides...of course...wore off...rather, Kicked right off!

Anyone with any ideas or solutions??? At many events I have scoured the vendors...some very nice chrome ones, however on the MCS and Wessex they have the coil that attaches to the kickstart shaft...counldn't find any chrome ones with that little hole.....I am also of the low key look, don't like alot of disco and hoopla...

Thanks all!

Have a great day!

Tammy in KY.

Tammy ,

Neither Greeves or Villiers used nickel plating, the dull finish plating on Greeves bolts and Villiers engine parts was cadmium plate .

Cadmium plate is no longer used because of the health issues , on my bikes I get parts Zinc plated , shinier but does the job , I think you will find zinc platers in your area .

Chris

Comment

Tammy ,

Google " zinc platers in Kentucky " quite a few options .

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by tammyanddaveky View Post
        Hi all!

Hope everyone is well and riding nonstop..finally we have great riding weather here!

A quick question....

Soo on all gals...the MCS, The Wessex, the MX5 and the ranger....kickstarts rusted badly. I tried various medias, sand papers...even the most gentle quickly removed the rust and the nickle plating too

Issue...no one this side of the pond close does any type of plating anymore, pesky chemicals

With Eleanor the MCS...I took all the nickle off, smothed with wire wheel and primed and painted a light galvanized steel color...LOOKED GREAT...until after the first few rides...of course...wore off...rather, Kicked right off!

Anyone with any ideas or solutions??? At many events I have scoured the vendors...some very nice chrome ones, however on the MCS and Wessex they have the coil that attaches to the kickstart shaft...counldn't find any chrome ones with that little hole.....I am also of the low key look, don't like alot of disco and hoopla...

Thanks all!

Have a great day!

Tammy in KY.
        Hi Tammy,

Call Matt @ Speed & Sport in California. He can still have cad done for you.

Regards,
        Kenny Sykes

Comment

Dull Chrome finish

Hi,
          for what its worth, I had my Kickstart and gea rlevers,bright chromed, and the plater then blasted with ,(I think?),fine Garnet media.
          This gives a nice approximation to the original Villiers,"Dull Chrome ",finish.
          Custom Bike shops can usually get this work done.
          Hope it helps.
          Les

Comment

Good am all!

Thank ya'll so much for the input! Great ideas! I can't tell ya'll how much I appreciate it! You are all the best!

I will start with Matt, gonna be sending him a seat pan and getting shocks etc, so that will work out great!

Have a great day!

Tammy

Comment

Working...
            X