Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GRA Show at Southend 1991 - 40th Anniversary of Greeves Motorcycle Production.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRA Show at Southend 1991 - 40th Anniversary of Greeves Motorcycle Production.

In 1991 the GRA organised a show at Southend, the home of Greeves, commemorating 40 years of Greeves motorcycle production. It was one of the biggest gatherings of Greeves motorcycles covering all models and more ever brought together. Mr Greeves was in attendance and it was a very special and successful day for all that attended.

Back when I was working on the GRA Committee I had access to an old VHS copy of a film of the event produced by Dave and Helena of 'Magic Moments' (Southend.) I transferred it to DVD in my studio and presented a copy to the GRA for inclusion in the archive to ensure it's preservation, where it should still be. It's a cracking film and at 78 mins in length an excellent record of the day. The DVD is really good quality thanks to the old VHS tape being in excellent condition. There are many highlights, including of course some lovely footage of Mr Greeves enjoying the day and being presented with a commemorative tankard by Andrew King and assembled members of the GRA at the time, along with cutting a cake made for the occasion and enjoying a celebratory glass of champagne.

One of the best things is Andrew King doing a walk round of the assembled Greeves models, one of the biggest ever gathered together I believe, and pointing out features and differences as well as some of the history.​

I've just uploaded all of the pics I generated in the form of screenshots direct from the screen with a digital camera in an album on my profile page. The quality isn't quite up to my usual standards as a result, but I tweaked them as best I could. If anybody wants to moan, please don't bother as I don't care and it's better than nothing isn't it....?

It can be found here, for anyone interested. Click the link and select 'Media' and you'll see it alongside my other uploaded albums; User Profile - Greeves Riders Association Forums (greeves-riders.org.uk)

Hope people enjoy seeing the pics.

Brian.​

Hi Brian
    I have just loaned my DVD copy to Tony,so it may eventually be available, a lot of the archive stuff appears to be mislaid sadley.

Comment

Hi Dave,

Nice to hear you, boy it's been a long time eh!

Great minds think alike as they say, and I was going to suggest this to Tony at some point as we keep in touch. That's great re the Southend DVD, and anything I produced for the club (I have a couple of other interesting DVDs as you know) I have copies of here. I'll liase with Tony and see what we can do.

What a damn shame about the archive stuff going missing though....how???!! I produced a huge amount of stuff for that very purpose, including all the Smiths Speedo info, which was a big project, fully bound and nicely presented....Last I heard Pete Smith had that in order to deal with member enquiries. I do hope that hasn't gone walkies too.....

All the best to you, Brenda and the family, as always.

Brian.

Comment

Hi Dave, Brian - the DVD of the 1991 show is on the list to upload. Hopefully after the next committee meeting we will be able to move forward with a site that we can easily host all the material that has already been digitised. It would also be nice to have 'personal archive' areas where members can upload all their Greeves research/notes which would be available to other members. Like me I am sure many members have lots of useful information which would be great to share - and not lost.

Comment

Working...
        X