No announcement yet.

Bristol Show 2019 at Shepton Mallett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John, I went to a Model engineering show on Sunday at Oldham. You think motorcyclists are all old blokes, I am now 73 and was probably one of the youngest there. No youngsters are being apprenticed in engineering these days, yes they can program a fancy cnc machine but can they actually make it from scratch or fettle to make it work? I am not so sure. Dogsbody

Comment

A positive result of the postponement and good weather on the day was that a huge number of bikes were ridden to the show, at least on Saturday when I was there, and no doubt on Sunday too. They had to open up a field to park them all. There were hundreds, when usually there are a few dozen.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogsbody View Post
        John, I went to a Model engineering show on Sunday at Oldham. You think motorcyclists are all old blokes, I am now 73 and was probably one of the youngest there. No youngsters are being apprenticed in engineering these days, yes they can program a fancy cnc machine but can they actually make it from scratch or fettle to make it work? I am not so sure. Dogsbody
        Quite so DB, I am 3 years ahead of you and started my working life with a tool making apprenticeship at Pye in Cambridge, although I went onto other jobs in later life the skills I learnt back then are still useful today.

Comment

When I arrived at about 8 ish on Saturday, the gates were still locked, I managed to get the arse my car off the road, but others arriving had to go elsewhere. In years gone by the gates have always been opened by then. Someone did rock up and we eventually got in, but the 'marshalling' of the cars seemed a bit dis-organised. I noticed the ticket office didn't open 'til about 9ish and the queue for that was fairly large. On the plus side those with 'E; tickets (and that queue was very long) we soon got in as the gates were opened.
          I'm sure the weather drew the crowds in and hopefully they will return next year.

Comment

Working...
          X