Seen at South Cerny steam rally 5th August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seen at South Cerny steam rally 5th August

This tidy 24TGS Anglian was seen at te Gloucestershire Steam Extravaganza at South Cerny, frame number 24TGS214, owner unknown, It was the only Greeves there in a large motorcucle entry. The Cotton Club had a good display of Cotton bikes which of course were made in Gloucester.
    Attached Files

...... and CX500s have classic status!

Comment

Originally posted by IanCordes View Post
      ...... and CX500s have classic status!
      Yes the CX500 is still an affordable classic, you can get a good one for under £4k, a friend of mine has just restored one from a basket case he bought for £250. They can have their problems (cam chain and electrics) but still a good usable bike. The couriers choice for many years.

Comment

CX500's.....and a funny story.....

I agree.....

I was working for Honda the year they came out and saw the first bikes in the UK at Chiswick (Honda UK) in London along with the CBX1000 6 just before the bike show that year. Some interesting and innovative engineering, especially the cyl/head angle and related valve train components, amongst others.

A mate had one back in the day, a much underated bike, especially once the unfortunate 'maggot' moniker stuck and the fashionistas took over the playground....

As JW says they did have some issues, as mentioned, but they weren't the only ones!

Funny story......I was at the Stamford Hall NOC bash one year back in the day, with my mate who'd just taken 'Best Commando'. I was helping man his stall as we were selling some Norton bits in the trade area. Next to us was a guy selling various bits and bobs, including a brand new shiney red tank for a CX500. This geezer came up and offered him £50 for it, under half what he was asking, which was actually a bargain compared to new, which it was after all, and a very fair price. The seller politely declined......Bit later, said geezer rocks up again and repeats his offer.....once again seller politely declined. This happened several more times as the day went on, meanwhile the seller (and us) were doing well and shifting stock nicely. Finally, at the end of the afternoon, the geezer shows up and once again offers the seller £50......The seller regarded the geezer with what can only be described as a blank stare, then removed the perfect tank from it's box and wrapping, placed it carefully on the ground in front of the geezer, all without saying a word, then reached over for a complete used fork leg nearby on his stall.....and smashed the cr*p out of that tank!!!! He then calmly sat down and had a sip of coffee from his flask! The geezer?......his face was a picture....!!!....bit like a goldfish makes as it swims around in a tank!!!!

One of the funniest things I ever saw, and having spent time 'in the trade' both with Honda and Yamaha, something I can quite understand.....

You see things from a different perspective from the other side of the counter, an experience I would heartily recommend to all motorcyclists....it teaches you a lot about people, especially motorcyclists.....

Brian.
        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 06/08/2018, 11:32 PM. Reason: spelling....

Comment

Working...
        X