Somerton Classic Brit Bike Trial 9/10 June

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somerton Classic Brit Bike Trial 9/10 June

Anyone else on here doing this? Excellent weekend with different routes for all abilities and machines, so much so that this year I've crossed to the dark side, leaving the 2 smokes at home and riding the 'gentlemans route' my side valve girder rigid Triumph as its one of the few events suitable for such a big old lump. And the bike.........

Will be there doing the same route as you.
    Simon

Comment

Good stuff, see you there , hope it stays dry, I'll be kipping in a tent for the first time in years!

Comment

Yes, will try and get there with the '59 Scottish.

Comment

Excellent, that's 3 of us then, plus the Kemp brothers (Martin and Rupert) who will be Greeves mounted.

Comment

Dick and Rob will be there and I think Mike Tizard is also riding. Chris Cullen will also be there but not riding in the trial.

Comment

That's good, usual suspects then..........

Comment

...and son Ian (web/forum guru) Ian with any luck!

Just got to get a Villiers gearbox that works for the TES!

Comment

Only 1st gear required for trials, Rob........

it'd be a bit boring between sections though

Comment

Jeff - that's the problem! Sometimes first and second is there then it is third and top. Whatever scenario it is in , it stays there until it has a change of mind!

I have had the thing apart sevral times. The gearchange feels horrible and I have changed out the selector parts in total now. The only thing left is to check a shaft is not bent and then chnage the selector drum. I have heard those can wear.

I have never had this much trouble with a Villiers box before. I'm thinking of changing the whole lot for something that works!

Whoops - sorry, didn't mean to slew the thread!

Yes, don't miss the Somerton Classic MCC event at Priddy, a brilliant weekend with a choice of 2 pubs (oh yes and 3 routes in the trial)!

Comment

That is an odd one, Rob, if it was the later 37A type box I'd suggest maybe selector pawl(s) chipped or broken, not always immediately apparent, but internal wear in the drum would give funny old symptoms too. Good luck getting it sorted for Somerton, there's always the Enfield, or the Armstrong (its British, after all)!

Comment

2 1/2 days spent on the gearbox now! Yes, it is the later type with t6he small pawls. Pretty sure that is where the trouble lies. I have a spare box in bits and I can't get that to work either.

I have just found a gearbox end cover off my first Greeves so I have had that in the shed (quite a few different sheds actually!) for 50 years exactly. It is the early pre-62 type but no matters, fitting that gave me all the gears so I'm going to clean the red hermetite off it and hope the plastic padding patch doesn't leak as that's why I changed it all those years ago when people actually dumped Villiers parts! Knew it would come in handy one day!

Still got a few hours to go and then better start on my bike!

Comment

Yippee! 4 gears now so it is something dodgy with the cover and selectors! Just got to sort the Anglian now!

Comment

4 reverse gears?

Comment

A great weekend, the weather was perfect, section severity spot on, loads of grip, something like 18 Greeves entered, nice to put some faces to names on here, and I bought a new T shirt from Rob!
                              Results, report and photos on Somerton Classic MCC website, well done them.

Comment

Working...
                              X