Cumbrian Classic August 21st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
    Right you lot, i`ve got my bike ready, got my acceptance slip, & i`m going up tmrw.............
    Early, i know!, but purely on medical grounds to aclimatise myself to the altitude & the local beer.....well you can`t be to carefull can you........
    Safe journey up lads & i`ll see you in the beer tent..........
    They have a beer tent as well ??????
    Do they have a Whiskie tent????

See you all soon xx

Comment

I am going to try and get my teenage daughters up at an ungodly hour Saturday morning - so I can get up there to watch some of the Trials (and acclimatise with Higgo and Craig ) ...

Comment

Sorry i cant make it Kim, good to see such a fantastic entry of personalities , if they don't mind being addressed as such, the Captain Mainwaring will have all the regalia with him sail flags posters etc so lets hope we can sign up some more members from up that part of the country, i am sure Dave Harper is doing his usual grand effort with the organizing.

All of you have a great time, and trust any accidents will be minor ones and that the weather keeps fine for the event cheers Dicky

Comment

Originally posted by Dick F View Post
          Sorry i cant make it Kim, good to see such a fantastic entry of personalities , if they don't mind being addressed as such, the Captain Mainwaring will have all the regalia with him sail flags posters etc so lets hope we can sign up some more members from up that part of the country, i am sure Dave Harper is doing his usual grand effort with the organizing.

All of you have a great time, and trust any accidents will be minor ones and that the weather keeps fine for the event cheers Dicky
          Hi Dick,
          Shame you cant make it, I have just spoken to Dave Harper on the phone and he sounds exhausted. My son is riding in the trial and the race on Sunday.
          He is using a Greeves cota 247 for the trial, its a rare bike that Greeves made one off and Montesa copied them and sold thousands.

Craig

Comment

Man all this banter about Greeves gatherings make me wish I still lived in England I need to get to Kenny Sykes Greeves days in NorCal next year though.Still, living in So. California does have some benefits
            Last edited by johnu; 17/08/2016, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by griffon380 View Post
              Hi Dick,
              Shame you cant make it, I have just spoken to Dave Harper on the phone and he sounds exhausted. My son is riding in the trial and the race on Sunday.
              He is using a Greeves cota 247 for the trial, its a rare bike that Greeves made one off and Montesa copied them and sold thousands.

Craig
              Craig - that is just so typical of Montesa - I am also riding an exceedingly rare Greeves Cappra VF414 in the Twinshock races on the Sunday ...in addition to my more orthodox Greeves QUB in the Greeves Championship

Comment

Originally posted by johnu View Post
                Man all this banter about Greeves gatherings make me wish I still lived in England I need to get to Kenny Sykes Greeves days in NorCal next year though.Still, living in So. California does have some benefits
                Hi John - if you ever plan a visit back to the motherland Greeves Racing /Bikes can be arranged....Kenny also has a standing offer !........One day I will also try and get over to Greeves Days in the US - We have lost fo Greeves racing and big classic meets...but not anything like Kenny's Greeves Days - Cheers Kim

Comment

It must have been something that DR got involved in as he rode Montesa after Greeves , he was a great modifier of bikes, dear old Don bless him

Comment

We have over 30 entered in the Greeves Championship !!

Spoke to Helen the race sec today - and the Greeves Entry is over 30 !! This is going to be epic
                    Fantastic job by Dave Harper to put this one on ...
                    Looking forward to heading up there
                    Cheers Kim

Comment

Originally posted by Kim275 View Post
                      Hi John - if you ever plan a visit back to the motherland Greeves Racing /Bikes can be arranged....Kenny also has a standing offer !........One day I will also try and get over to Greeves Days in the US - We have lost fo Greeves racing and big classic meets...but not anything like Kenny's Greeves Days - Cheers Kim
                      That's appreciated Kim, thanks

Comment

The Nostalgia was a perfect days of motocross !

Hard to some up just how good the Nostalgia was !
                        For a start on Saturday the heavens opened big time ..... In what our B&B host says it's the worst summer storm he has ever seen !!!
                        Despite the Esther Dave Harper and Chairman Erob battled on to bedeck the Marquee with a great mix of old and recent Greeves action shots. And memorabilia ...
                        Sunday the weather abated and amazingly the track was firm even dusty by the end !
                        I had a few engine probs but thx to Craig got some racing in .
                        It was a fun fast track and some great dices with Craig Higgio and also young Josh Mcoo joining in . Craig shoulder charged Higgo , I ran the Chairman into the ropes ....also charging up the hill on the QUB racing hard with Craig I popped the biggest power wheelie ever ! Just avoiding the ropes ...
                        The Blu Marine handicap race proved exciting racing . I led the first race until the race was red flagged after Graeme smith had an unfortunate off . On the re run I was leading with Higgo in hot pursuit ( he was about 500 yards back) and I stacked it ... Congrats to Higho on his win ... T
                        The day finished in the Marquee with vic Allen reminiscing about winning the MXON race at Namur on a 380 Griffon, awarding prizes and treading on a winners dog . 😂 (there were many other past Greeves riders who also did speeches .... At lunch time )
                        What rang true is how they my all loved Greeves and racing them ...
                        A big Big thanks to Craig MCCoo and Blumarine for their sponsorship every rider at the event got a commemoration mug and Everett Zgreeves rider a sweatshirt and hat ... As well as prize money for the handicap race winners
                        An amazing day with a big thanks to Dave Harper for making the 2016 Nostslgia the best ever ... It's s long way to go but it is a beautiful place to race s Greeves ... I will be back next year .. Thanks to all the riders who made the pilgrimage Cheers Kim

Comment

4 days at Sedbergh

Well that was certainly a wet 4 days I arrived Thursday to perfect weather, ran to the top (walked most it and ran down) of the hill behind and admired the view, which was stunning.
                          In the evening Rob gave me a lift to town with his wife (shocking on remembering names) and we had a good meal, if not expensive for pub food
                          Boy did it go down hill after that.
                          I made the start of the ISDT run on Friday, passed the first stop, on for quite a time before following 2 bikes that stopped and then said they were going home . As I was totally drenched by then I decided to do the same. By the time I got back to the field I had completed 105 miles so the TFS Trail was well tested.
                          The saturday trial was excellent especially the hill climb where a couple of Enfields did really well, certainly not for the faint hearted . Again the weather was throwing everything at me, however the fish and chips was particularly good from the van .
                          I perked up Saturday evening when I got the red wine for £1.50 a beaker full in the marquee . I had a good chat with a number of people which always makes these events interesting, particularly Jack? the judge of the concourse, who although working at the factory had never seen a Ranger.

Why do they always have loud music that stops you chatting or makes it difficult?
                          Sunday I watched the first couple of races, which with the sun breaking through was very enjoyable.
                          As for me I lacked the confidence in myself and the bike to do the scramble. Perhaps if I could have had a few laps on my own I might of, though I don't think the bike was up to it.
                          There is always other events and I have the Griffon that only needs a little fettling so we will see
                          Once home the damp tent and wet clothes were replaced with the highlights which always give you great memories.

An event that had something for everyone, thanks to all those involved in the organisation.

Comment

Many thanks to Kim and Tony for their reports on Sedbergh, before they even had time to dry-out. Hopefully, most people enjoyed themselves in spite of the lakelands weather. We are extremely fortunate to have Dave Harper and Geoff Nunn giving up so much of their free time to organise the Greeves Championships and other related events.
                            John A - 268

Comment

The video says it all but just incase you all need some detail then here goes.

The rider is Style Monster guru, Craig McCoster.
                              Passing Higgo as if he was standing still (he was, his gear lever fell off). Then as McCoster was laughing at Higgo looking for the gear lever he fell off only to remount and pass several 380 Griffons on his tiny slow little 250 Challenger.

What a brilliant weekend.
                              Having raced on and off for 35 years and never won a trophy, my son in his third race meeting picked up a trophy for 4th place. Obviously I let him pass me.
                              Track and racing friends where brilliant.
                              A massive big thank you to Dave Harper for all his hard work in organising things.
                              Even when Higgo nearly took my front wheel out on a slow right hander we laughed as I helped him lift his bike up and rubbed his sore shoulder afterwards.
                              Not sure what happened Kim as he was on the fastest bike at the meeting. Maybe too fast for him to handle
                              The icing on the cake is the result in the second Championship race when I beat lots of 380 Griffons to finish 9th. The placing is not important but the championship contenders behind me is. You know who you are but if you don't, here is a photo of the results. YEEEEEE HAAAAAAAA

Gary Smith was his usual fast self but he did pay me a tenner not to beat him in the handicap race.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by griffon380; 24/08/2016, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Great video! I'm sure MX Acadamies all over the world will be copying that to show to admiring pupils....

Comment

Working...
                                X