Greeves Championship 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sproxton Round 2 Results and Report

A great day of racing at Sproxton in Round 2 of the 2016 Greeves Championship greeted the Championship faithful who made the pilgrimage to the Leicester Lincolnshire borders.

Some very fast and furious racing which took its toll on both Riders and Bikes. The track was mainly dry with some slippery bits and ruts to negotiate - but soon found its groove. It is one of the fastest and more technical , but flowing tracks we race .
    The racing at the front is incredibly close as you can witness by this on board footage from Matt Valentine in Points race 1 - getting a very hard fought 3rd....or was it a second ? as Matt appears to clinch it - but the film stops just before the finish - so maybe Gary nicked it at the last............(double checking with Dave H) ........The race was won by Matt McCulloch who also got a second in the second points race and came out man of the meeting. Gary Smith put some fantastic rides with a win in the Open race , a second in the second and then an unfortunate off in the last race when he seized his gearbox on the fastest part of the track over the back straight..ouch ....a precautionary trip to A&E - but the hard man form down under is expected to make a full recovery for Maylandsea.

Again as last week Jos Goddard put in some quick rides resulting in his best result yet a 3rd place in the second points race. Rikky Widdowson was unlucky to miss out on the good points with a machine failure as well. Also in contention and getting quicker and quicker on his Griffon is Richard Hayward.....who's race weekend was saved by a portable angle grinder lent by a sidecar team...Richard having padlocked his bikes in the van and left the keys at home in Gillingham schoolboy error ........

Further down the pack there was also good racing with Julian Smith doing well on his Challenger - thanks to some footrest jury repairs, Mark Larter getting on the race pace with some good rides on his Griffon and a sixth in ethe final race- and having a lot of fun doing so as well as the two "Graeme"'s Smith and Hayward battling it out .

More fun to be had at Maylandsea - come along and watch and meet the riders.
    Greeves Championship Round 2 Race 1 - taken at Sproxton on 3rd April 2016.
    Attached Files

Comment

Points Race 1 confirmation

I checked with Dave Harper and he confirms that Gary came back and nicked 2nd place at the death... Wow the racing could not be closer 😃😃👌

Comment

Many thanks Kim for posting the results and link to the video.
        My, what close racing it was, along with impressive riding from Matty V in both races. Commiserations to Gary for what must have been an awful experience with best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Looks like you had a better day than you did at the last meeting, culminating in a creditable fifth in the second race!

Good to see results included right down the order, isn’t this what makes the event so interesting for riders and competitors alike. The results for the 1st round also included the machines each was mounted on which I found useful too.

Have posted off entry for the next meeting at Maylandsea so looking forward to joining in again then. Mind you, my wife is a little nervous as we are booked to go on a weeks cruise to commence only two days later !

I wonder if I might be permitted to promote a separate Pre65 250cc class, with three Trophies up for grabs, taking place at the Roy Patten & John Waylett memorial meeting, Marks Tey on 29th May. I would like to ask all Greeves owners who normally ride, or have ridden in the past, to enter so we try to ensure a full starting line up. For sure we have been lacking in entry numbers this year which is a little sad considering how popular it has been in the past. If we lose this class it will affect several of our fellow GRA members.

In case you haven't tried it yet new entrants to Pre65racing are always welcome with day licences readily available .

Comment

Originally posted by ADickerson View Post
          Many thanks Kim for posting the results and link to the video.
          My, what close racing it was, along with impressive riding from Matty V in both races. Commiserations to Gary for what must have been an awful experience with best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Looks like you had a better day than you did at the last meeting, culminating in a creditable fifth in the second race!

Good to see results included right down the order, isn’t this what makes the event so interesting for riders and competitors alike. The results for the 1st round also included the machines each was mounted on which I found useful too.

Have posted off entry for the next meeting at Maylandsea so looking forward to joining in again then. Mind you, my wife is a little nervous as we are booked to go on a weeks cruise to commence only two days later !

I wonder if I might be permitted to promote a separate Pre65 250cc class, with three Trophies up for grabs, taking place at the Roy Patten & John Waylett memorial meeting, Marks Tey on 29th May. I would like to ask all Greeves owners who normally ride, or have ridden in the past, to enter so we try to ensure a full starting line up. For sure we have been lacking in entry numbers this year which is a little sad considering how popular it has been in the past. If we lose this class it will affect several of our fellow GRA members.

In case you haven't tried it yet new entrants to Pre65racing are always welcome with day licences readily available .
          Adrian thanks for the feedback and looking forward to MAylandsea...The racing at the front this season is even quicker than ever so I need to improve to get close...but the main thing as you point out is everybody is having fun and challenging battles all thorugh the field. Very happy to support your pre65250cc class in the memorial meeting on the 29th May at Marks Tey. Hope to see as many Greeves Hawkstones, MDS's and early Challengers giving it a go.....It was after all the glory period for Greeves. Sounds like a good target for Jonah comeback #10

If any GRA member wants to join in and

Comment

I hope to see you all at MARKS TAY this weekend,,,,,,there's too much SEA at Maylandsea!

Comment

Round 3 Report and Chesty Cam footage

Big thanks to the Pre-65 Club for smart work in switching from Maylandsea Harbour to Marks Tey......despite some heavy rain day before - the hardest challenge was indeed getting into the pits. Greg Radley set out a good course avoiding the worse bits and a good but tough day of racing - in dry weather was enjoyed by all !.

With the absence of Matt Valentine it was Gary Smith and Matt Mculloch battling it out at the front. Gary ending up man of the meeting with a Win and second . Matt with a win and a 5th after a fall in the first points race. Close behind in the points with good results were young Jos Goddard and Richard Hayward . In the Challenger class Barry Keymer was on the pace , along with Julian Smith joining in in the second points race . As for myself ? bit of an off day - riding like a man possessed (of no idea) missing apexes and Ruts at crucial moments (and the ruts were big) - BUT had some great rides with Des Burton and Adrian Dickerson.

Big thanks to Dave for all his hard work organising - make sure that you pay him the ÂŁ10 series entry fee to ensure points are kept. Note it costs Dave more out of his own pocket - so please make sure you see Dave at the next meet.

Below is some footage of race 3 (the second points race) . Gary gets off to a great start , as well as Jos Goddard to the right. and Matt McCulloch...Into the first right hand corner - Dave "Goldfish" Watson takes me wide off line - and you see Wayward Hayward on my left and Des Burton putting me in a squeeze as we approach the left hander......My bike hooks up out of the mud and squeezes Wayward out ...JUST .....ahead are Des Burton (Blue and White hoops) and Goldfish (in the yellow top). Wayward gets his revenge at the next bend and Julian Smith on his 360 challenger takes a fast side line ......Barry Keymer nips by and then I run wide over the table top and Adrian Dickerson slips past on the inside. It takes me 2 laps to muscle the Griffon past Adrian - a real credit to how well he was rising in the tricky slippery conditions. Once past Adrian its onto Des and a last gasp race to the line for a very close 9th/10th finish ....by a wheel ..you gotta love Greeves racing - fun and close racing throughout the field. An exciting race all round !!

Next meeting coming up is Maylandsea Sunday 1st May ..(replacing Stebbing) and then the BIG ONE the following weekend , the 100 miler and the following day the Greeves Championship . Come along and support the "Hawkstone Heroes" and "Greeves and Mortimer" teams

Comment

Great video Kim

Lovely footage..

Felt like I was there... Adrian was going well as usual.. Glad you kept going right to the end grabbing vital places In the last few corners..

I'm going to have to get my licence sorted and have a dabble.. Need to get the hawkstone gearbox sorted first though.., I could just ride the 360

Scott151

Comment

Thanks Scotty - Here are the results

Thanks Scotty - as you can see it was a bit slippery and all riders having a few moments . Look forward to seeing you out there soon - we are missing you!!.
                  Mike Bell paid us a visit at Marks Tey - still not riding until ribs fixed but he is on for next season

Here are the results
                  Attached is a list of registered riders - If you are not on the list, have points and want to compete for trophies - Please see Dave at Maylandsea or Mortimer or get an entry fee by end of May - otherwise results will be re-cast. Many thanks and appreciate you sorting it so Dave does't have to worry and chase.
                  Cheers Kim
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Kim,

Many thanks for the report an excellent reminder of a smashing days racing "In the grooves" of Marks Tey.
                    Have to agree with you about the difficulties of entering the pits on the Sunday morning. I found your driving then almost as entertaining as the racing itself . But have to congratulate you on keeping that BMW moving on the mud with those low profile slicks .
                    Thanks to for my cameo slot in the third race, it almost looked like I was in control for some of the time . Hope I didn't hold you up for too long.. Well done for making up ground at the close.
                    Looking forward to the next one.

Comment

Cheers Adrian - appreciate your feedback - you didn't hold me up - just showed me some decent racing lines so I could get my act together !!! Big thanks for the Pre-65 club for putting on the meeting and for Greg Radley for sorting a rideable course in the conditions which were soft to very soft at best !!
                      Looking for ward to Maylandsea on the 1st and then the BIG ONE the Mortimer 100 Miler

Comment

Always appreciate seeing the video's Kim

Comment

Let's hear it for our Kim!!!

Hi mate,

Yet again, you have treated us to some fantastic quality action footage and exciting race reviews of this splendid race series. The time and effort you have put in since 'creating' the official role of Scrambles Rep for the Greeves RIDERS Association (!) has been prodigious, and your passion and enthusiasm really shine through, especially in this thread. A hearty and sincere 'WELL DONE MATE!' from another appreciative and avid reader/viewer. Your hard work and effort are truly appreciated Kim.

So how about it people......anyone else fancy offering Kim a little feedback and encouragement for his stirling efforts with this brilliant thread, apart from the few that already have....?

I'm sure it would be really appreciated, and besides, it's a nice thing to do...

Brian.

Comment

Well put, Brian.
                            Kim knows how well his efforts are appreciated by the riding members of the Greeves Championship, eh Kim? I'm just proud to have been the one to have proposed his election to the post in the first place ......... obviously an inspired choice?
                            Keep it up, Kim. Perhaps catch up with you again, one day, to thank you properly, but no bear-hug, please .......... save them for Punchy!
                            Last edited by johnrunnacles; 23/04/2016, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnrunnacles View Post
                              Well put, Brian.
                              Kim knows how well his efforts are appreciated by the riding members of the Greeves Championship, eh Kim? I'm just proud to have been the one to have proposed his election to the post in the first place ......... obviously an inspired choice?
                              Keep it up, Kim. Perhaps catch up with you again, one day, to thank you properly.
                              Now hold on ta yer horses there young fella! i think you will find that i first brought up the idea of a scrambles rep & kim as a good candidate, but apart from a couple of replies, colin sparrow being one of them, no one got involved, so i deleted the thread.
                              Just thought i`d point that out john.......... but how the devil are you anyway, long time no hear.....

Comment

You should have been at last year's AGM, then, Dave, where Kim was elected. Then you could have completed the job you started! As it was, I did it for you.
                                All's fine at my end, thanks my friend. Hope you're keeping your end up?
                                JR

Comment

Working...
                                X