Mortimer 100 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortimer 100 2016

Picking up on kims & committee`s thoughts regarding the mortimer 2 day event next year & not wishing to ruin scotts great thread on the international, i thought anyone interested, might add their views here.
    As kim said in the other thread, i think the basic idea is to get as many teams running & as many gra members to come & meet & greet & generally have a good time, with a barby & few beers in the evening.
    I`ve done it the last four or five years & never fail to enjoy the atmosphere of the event itself & all the like minded riders & running crew who all get together to take part.
    Disscussing our teams performance & what went wrong!.... over a few beers afterwards always creates some interesting banter.......
    So anyone interested in forming a team, or any gra members who want to come & see what its all about...add your views here.....
    Loads of camping space,. beer tent, music etc....whats not to like.......

Sounds good to me Dave, will hope to be there again and participate in any form if thats whats required!!

Will make sure that the Caravan issues are sorted well in advance

Comment

Great to hear it dick....the ice creams are on me.....

Comment

100 miler

Hello Dave.
        I hope to have half of a team, my son and our friend Mark Hamilton. If I am able I will try to ride as well.
        Mike

Comment

Hi Dave,
          I will definitely be there with my son. Bikes, beer, and music ? could not be better.
          Not sure if you sold your QUB (out of the country and not been able to keep up with the forum) but if you have then I can bring a spare Greeves for you to ride. I will even put plastic mudguards on to make you feel at home..

Not sure how many is in a team or what the format is but looking forward to it already.

Craig

Comment

Great to see some interest already !!

Thanks Higgo for setting up this thread great idea .......... It's exactly in the spirit of what we are looking to do.....

So last year we had 1 team , Michael Eustace (Hawkstone) , Me MDS /Griffon, Andy Z Challenger and Higgo on his big Griff ...........previous years we have had 2 all Greeves teams out as well........

Teams are of 4 riders - and are supposed to be a bike from each era - i.e a pre60, a pre65, a pre68 and pre74 bike......but to be honest that can be flexed on the day...........last year I started on my MDS as a pre-65 - but ended up riding my QUB - so we had 2 Griffons......

To wet the appetite - it is probably the best race track to race on and great for spectators - you can get really close to the action as it has a lot of chestnut fencing and a crossing to get to the scary wooded part in Amys Copse.......
            The Club throw on a bar and band in a big Marquee...Lat year it had loads of Greeves racing photo's decking out the tent ..........we will sort out a BBQ for GRA members turning up - and with the team racing saturday and full race programme on Sunday - it is probably the best classic event......As well as a Greeves Championship on Sunday - there is a big full sidecar entry at this event - and that is spectacular to watch ...Hoping Brian will get a sidecar entry with his EMU
            THis event attracts many spectators - and indeed owners of classic road bikes ride out to it - so for our fellow Greeves roadsters - why not do a ride out ?
            Idea is for as many GRA members to be there and enjoy some fun racing fun and more fun .....

Let me know out there if you are interested in riding in a team and/or want to come along for the evening fun - looking forward to hearing from you all - Cheers Kim
            Scrambles Rep

Comment

I can be pre-65 or pre-68 next year, or even bring both bikes just in case. I'll bring an X-ray machine too!

Comment

Originally posted by griffon380 View Post
                Hi Dave,
                I will definitely be there with my son. Bikes, beer, and music ? could not be better.
                Not sure if you sold your QUB (out of the country and not been able to keep up with the forum) but if you have then I can bring a spare Greeves for you to ride. I will even put plastic mudguards on to make you feel at home..

Not sure how many is in a team or what the format is but looking forward to it already.

Craig
                Good to hear u`r coming craig, i decided not to part with my griff & have bowed to your pressure & put it back to its factory colours....or lack of them...
                Alloy mudguards & all.
                But very kind to put up an offer to borrow a bike all the same.....

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
                  Good to hear u`r coming craig, i decided not to part with my griff & have bowed to your pressure & put it back to its factory colours....or lack of them...
                  Alloy mudguards & all.
                  Dave, great news that you're keeping the Griff!!! Stick with the plastic guards though.....

Comment

Things shaping up

Higgins Big Plastic Griff will race again at the 2016 Mortimer 100 miler ..... Andy z , me and champagne Eustace .... That's Team Greeves and Mortimer ! And with 2x McCoos plus Mikes lad and mate we have the enough for 2 teams already .... And not even counting previous campaigners like Punchy and Rob Dickerson , Evan Lewis and Coxy ... Crikey could be 3 greeves teams !!!

Comment

Crazy chicken fumes....

Originally posted by Kim275 View Post
                      ...Hoping Brian will get a sidecar entry with his EMU
                      Yo Kim,

Great idea, but.....1.) the only thing I own with three wheels is my tricycle, and I don't want to get the little bell on the handlebars muddy, and 2.)....have you ever seen the effect that just one wiff of Castrol R has on an emu....?! It's a bit like catnip with felines, only a LOT more violent and deranged.....don't ask how I know this....my therapist has advised me not to talk about it again if I am to have any chance of putting it behind me....

bRiAn.

Comment

This all sounds like a great plan.

I don't even know the venue, so to further assist planning could someone please post venue details and dates.

Thanx
                        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by dave higgins View Post
                          Alloy mudguards & all.
                          Fantastic news Dave that you are keeping the bike.
                          You could have had my alloys as I have just put red plastic ones on

I have a 65 MX2, 69 Griffon 250, and a 72 QUB. All I need is a Hawkstone and 2 riders to have Team BluMarine.

Comment

Here you are craig, this is a clip of young michael ( champagne ) eustace riding the mortimer track in a pre 60 race.
                            But be warned, the track is a lot rougher than the vid indicates & the climbs & drops are steeper, but as kim has said, a great track to ride.
                            Michael Eustace racing his 1960 250cc Greeves Hawkstone in the 2nd Pre-60 race at the Mortimer Classic Motocross event at Bennett's Hill near Reading on 10 M...

Comment

Anyone got the date yet? For the last few years it has clashed with one of my 4 wheel events near Ipswich! While there is a lack of qualified people to do my job on these events, I'm more or less forced to put them first. Obviously, I would enjoy dispensing iced water and bike holding on a nice sunny day at the 100 miler, but that's life!
                              Kim, have you talked to ME about riding next year? I get the impression he is considering a change of direction.

Comment

Working...
                              X