Stafford Show 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bristol

BRISTOL 1988 in the old dock biuldings and yes im 18 then lolwhen we started at bristol we were in the main hall with a double stand
    i have some photos but then there traders moved the exibits they even bribed the owner of the pecking mill inn to have them instead of me so i was relagated to sleeping in the van brrrrrrr.
    Last edited by greeves246; 27/04/2015, 10:25 PM.

Comment

The Committee will be discussing our Stafford experience at the next meeting (date undecided at the moment). The problem about robust protests to the organisers is unforeseen consequences. If we make too much noise over Stafford, it could rebound next year at Shepton Mallett. Same organisers.

So far as I'm concerned (personally that is) 2015 could very well have been our last Stafford show
      Colin Sparrow

Comment

Colin - 2015 may well have been your last Stafford but not the GRA's I hope!

Despite exhibiting in the cleaner's cupboard, the show was very enjoyable for myself and quite a few others. We signed up a number of new members and I spoke to two people about Silverstones, was able to help them and they then joined the Club.

Members and people in general want to visit the stand to see the bikes and ask for info. Years ago under the previous show management, we in the Royal Enfield OC managed to get banned for a few years (due to a difference of opinions). So many people had looked for the stand during those years (without success) that it proved you are missed.

On top of that, I personally had a great weekend. The chap in the caravan next to me had paid £90 for himself and his son to camp and enter the show (camping for show visitors was £40 for both nights). In view of this, bringing a bike and putting it on display is not such a bad deal.

Don't forget that club stands are a cost to the organisers and if they could run the show with no free club stands, they would do so. I think we just have to accept the rough with the smooth and hope for something better next time. As Colin says, if we rock the boat, repercussions could follow, unfortunately, we are in a monopoly situation.

Comment

Something else just occurred to me. Anything fairly useful to me in the jumble was notable by it's absence. I saw nothing Greeves, Villiers, Royal Enfield or Yamaha two-stroke twin. No new-old-stock pistons, rings, cable, gaskets, plugs, etc. The jumble was full of corroded old British engines and bits and new oils, paint, tyres, etc.

It looks like anything sought after at our sort of prices has all made a beeline for ebay with prices to match. I have also heard that another regular series of jumbles is up for sale and a buyer cannot be found. Are jumbles as we know them finally grinding to a halt or am I just being a harbinger of doom?!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
            Something else just occurred to me. Anything fairly useful to me in the jumble was notable by it's absence. I saw nothing Greeves, Villiers, Royal Enfield or Yamaha two-stroke twin. No new-old-stock pistons, rings, cable, gaskets, plugs, etc. The jumble was full of corroded old British engines and bits and new oils, paint, tyres, etc.

It looks like anything sought after at our sort of prices has all made a beeline for ebay with prices to match. I have also heard that another regular series of jumbles is up for sale and a buyer cannot be found. Are jumbles as we know them finally grinding to a halt or am I just being a harbinger of doom?!
            It is clear that these type of shows are on the decline, its just that Morton's have a vested interest in trying to keep the old bike scene alive for obvious reason of finding punters to buy their old bike mags. eBay has certainly taken the stuffing out of autojumbles, & frankly most of the NOS parts that had survived from dealers have long been bought up by jumblers & sold on, as you observed Rob only the dross & new repro stuff is left. There are little old Jap NOS parts for sale as these were never stocked in large quantities by dealers, spares being acquired to order. So there is nothing to follow on from the old Brit stuff.
            As I have said in previous comments, I have no interest whatsoever in these big commercially based shows, would it not be better to transfer the GRA allegiance to more club friendly shows like Battlesbridge.
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 28/04/2015, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Transfer allegiance to Battlesbridge ......... ?

.......... and/or to the Copdock Bike Show (?)
              There must be plenty more deserving candidates, too?
              Last edited by johnrunnacles; 28/04/2015, 05:34 PM.

Comment

The Bike Bonanza ( formerly Festival of 1000 Bikes ) has a good club stand following

and is a well supported meeting over two days. Covering road bikes on track Saturday, race bikes Sunday with a Classic Trial as well.

Would that be a better bet for a weekend show? Will be a few Silverstones out on track for sure.
                Dogsbody

Comment

Originally posted by johnrunnacles View Post
                  .......... and/or to the Copdock Bike Show (?)
                  There must be plenty more deserving candidates, too?
                  Whats wrong with these John? GRA has exhibited at both over the years, I would agree that maybe Copdock is not so good these days & is more modern bike orientated with lots of trash stalls. I stand corrected but to my knowledge the GRA only pulled out after Robert Brown gave up organising the GRA stand.
                  Battlesbridge (one of the few I have attended) always seems a well attended friendly event & with a scrambles demo track, also classic bikes ridden in go free. GRA usually have a stand there anyway. I did hear though that future events may be under threat due to a planning issue.

Comment

Copdock Bike Show

Don't know whether you've attended the Copdock Bike Show in recent time but it has grown considerably in both stature and content since its move to the (old) Suffolk Show Ground. Unlike Battlesbridge, there is indoor exhibition space and a large covered space for Club stands (with separate toilet facilities!) The main outside Arena and smaller activity spaces feature largely family-orientated bike shows and skill demonstrations ......... there has even been a cavalcade of pre-65 scramble bikes on the past two years. The Ken Fox Wall-of-Death is a regular feature. There have been moto-ball demonstrations, stunt riding, display teams ......... you name it! More, much more than the big shows already mentioned have had to offer for a proper family day out, or even for the bike enthusiast to get their teeth into, and certainly a lot more than Battlesbridge.
                    And that's not to mention a veritable miriad of trade stands, and acres of bike jumble ............. separate and outside of the exhibition spaces!
                    And, at the end of the day (!) the entrance proceeds go to charity!
                    Surely this is the kind of Show the GRA should be putting its energy into?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by johnrunnacles; 28/04/2015, 10:26 PM. Reason: Photo added. Copdock cavalcade 2014

Comment

Absolutely john....this place sounds great....

Comment

Copdock Bike Show

A long way for you to come though, Dave (?)
                        Last edited by johnrunnacles; 28/04/2015, 10:27 PM. Reason: Title added

Comment

Working...
                        X