Star Group Trials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Group Trials

As a newbie (returnee to the fold after ~40 years!!) I've just come across this web site. http://stargrouptrials.co.uk/2013-2/

The Regs show them catering for Pre67A&B and Sportsman / Yellow Routes. Has anyone entered these events in previous years and if so, are the Yellow Routes of a civilised nature & suitable for slowly improving but still fearful wobblers?

Originally posted by hoveactually View Post
    As a newbie (returnee to the fold after ~40 years!!) I've just come across this web site. http://stargrouptrials.co.uk/2013-2/

The Regs show them catering for Pre67A&B and Sportsman / Yellow Routes. Has anyone entered these events in previous years and if so, are the Yellow Routes of a civilised nature & suitable for slowly improving but still fearful wobblers?
    As another trials newbie, I fancy some of those myself, none are too far from me, and they have classes for our bikes.
    Doesn't help you much, but at least I could be some company!

Cheers,
    Andrew

Comment

trials

they used to run a full series back in the seventies with all classes including sidecars i had many a great time riding well set out events i remember winning a couple of awards to, if they are to the same sort of standard you will have a good day out , i wonder if they still run a class for proper bikes (sidecars) will

Comment

I've got an excuse as I don't belong to a Star Group club. However, I may go along and watch on the 8th Feb at the Gordon Jackson (think that was Andy said).

Just heard from John Ward, organiser of the Red Tape. Good entry this year so far (only 35 last year), 8 Greeves of which 5 are GRA members.

Looks like we are winning the fight back to get Greeves out there again in suitable trials. Not everyone wants to spend £10K on a new BSA TY175, err, sorry, 'Bantam'!

Comment

Both the next 2 events cater for sidecars; Gordon Jackson has Pre 65 as well, but the Dik Holdsworth only has 1 sidecar class and its pointed at the 'Red' route!

As Rob has flagged these events are restricted to members of Star Group clubs, listed here - http://stargrouptrials.co.uk/about-2/

I'm a member of the Sunbeam MCC which I joined so I can use my 1935 Norton in their club events and by good luck I'm able to enter this series of trials.

AndyB
          Last edited by hoveactually; 23/01/2015, 09:48 AM.

Comment

star group trials

I used to do the star group trials about 5 years ago, then they used only 2 routes, and they were not that easy at that time.
            I have no idea what they are like now but John Paterson used to ride in them he is the best person to give you an idea.

Comment

Myself and fellow GRA member Martin Kemp have ridden Star Group trials for years, and find the Pre 67 route (Red, same as novice, over 50s and yes, the sidecars) as much of a challenge as we would want with our level of ability. We rode the first round this year at Hungry Hill (home of the Talmag trial) and it was sensible. For newbies I would say the yellow sportsman route would be more suitable. The next round on February 8th at Bagshot, Sunbeam MCC, (same piece of land as the Red Tape trial) will also be a good event as the clerk of course is very experienced.
              Another series of trials is run by the Thames Valley Trials Combine, and their events also have a class suitable for newbies/sportsmen. Unfortunately they run them on the same weekends as the Star Group, 2nd sunday of the month.
              Thames MCC run a club championship series with a newbie/sportsman route (shameless plug, I'm on the committee) with the aim of encouraging new and returning riders without scaring them off! Suggest you Google TVTC or Thames MCC for info from their websites.
              Hope this helps and look forward to meeting up at the Red Tape (excellent event!)

Comment

trials

i have just realised that i am a member of the talmag club which makes me eligible for the star group events looking through the 2015 list it seems i will have to travel down from norfolk to enjoy a few events i will have to sort out dates then find a passenger if andy is not available (or has come to his senses)if not ill go down and ride without one ,looking through the list of s/car crews riding and having known several for years i am sure a voulenteer could be available on the day , so cheers for the info ,if i remember correctly years ago when i was trials sec of the north east london mcc, we had a reciprocal arrangement between the meteor group and the star group ,to enable south midland and south eastern riders to ride in each others events this worked well and kept the entries up ,will.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jeff Morgan -- Another series of trials is run by the Thames Valley Trials Combine, and their events also have a class suitable for newbies/sportsmen. Unfortunately they run them on the same weekends as the Star Group, 2nd sunday of the month.
                  Thames MCC run a club championship series with a newbie/sportsman route (shameless plug, I'm on the committee) with the aim of encouraging new and returning riders without scaring them off! Suggest you Google TVTC or Thames MCC for info from their websites.
                  Hope this helps and look forward to meeting up at the Red Tape (excellent event!)[/QUOTE]

Jeff - thks for that. It was at the recent Thames MCC Mike Kemp Trial that my gearbox was found wanting - it took fright at sight of the 1st section and all it would offer was neutral! Anyway its sorted now and works a treat riding round my back garden, although the wife's not impressed with the patterns I've left on the lawn!
                  It appears Thames MCC event dates - http://www.thamesmcc.org/events.html - avoid Star Group dates this year so I could be spoiled for choice.
                  Looking forward to the Red Tape - as an ex civil servant, I would say that.
                  AndyB
                  Last edited by hoveactually; 24/01/2015, 04:00 PM.

Comment

My pleasure, Andy, I helped lay out the Mike Kemp, I didn't think we'd made it that hard! Thames MCC are members of the Star Group so when we set dates for events we avoid 2nd Sundays.
                    Incidentally I think I was parked next to you at the recent Jack Thompson trial at Canada Heights (I was on my Butler Tempest), thats a very pretty bike you have there! At the risk of being controversial, I do like seeing Greeves in colours other than Moorland Blue..................

Comment

February Star Group Gordon Jackson Trial venue

In case anyone was going to Bagshot on the 8th Feb for the Sunbeam MCC trial, as discussed earlier in thread, be advised that due to the MOD withdrawing permission to use the land, the venue has been changed to the Hook Woods Trials Centre, East Horsley, Surrey, KT24 6ET (detailed instructions on how to get there on Thames MCC website under 'Venues')

Comment

Working...
                      X