Battlesbridge at risk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlesbridge at risk?

I'm just scanning through the December 2014 issue of Classic & Sports Car and found a short piece that says that the Showground has been issued with an enforcement order banning them from holding any more classic car events. Will this have bearing on our event???

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
    I'm just scanning through the December 2014 issue of Classic & Sports Car and found a short piece that says that the Showground has been issued with an enforcement order banning them from holding any more classic car events. Will this have bearing on our event???
    If its NIMBYs moaning about the noise then I expect it will adversely affect bike events too.

Comment

I think Dave Harper has mentioned something similar in recent time too.

Comment

The next Battlesbridge Classic Motorcycle Show is scheduled to take place on 5th July 2015.

The organisers have been served with a planning enforcement notice forbidding them to hold events on their showground. This would include the motorcycle show.

They are appealing and the appeal is due to be heard in July 2015. The basis of the appeal is “established use”, which means that they will argue that the ground has been used consistently for this type of event for a number of years.

If the appeal is scheduled after the 5th July they would probably be able to go ahead this year because the notice is suspended pending the appeal.
        Please be assured that the GRA will be offering assistance and support (including an appearance at the appeal if necessary).

We owe a lot to Jim Gallie and his team. I’m sure that the Pre 65 MX Club will see it the same way. I’m seeing Dave Harper in the next couple of weeks and I’ll have a chat with him about it.
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Battlesbridge

Problem is that these NIMBY's tend to get their own way, megga rich who have the resources to employ top barristers to fight their case buying expensive properties. They are not going to let a few motorcycle & car enthusiasts have their fun. There have been numerous cases where things like church bells have had to be silenced despite being rung for 100's of years.
          At the very least Battlesbridge will probably have to curtail scramble demo's thus reducing noise pollution.

Comment

Battlesbridge

Yes you are probably correct John about Nimbys moving in, but i have seen in many areas that after they get there way, a few years later it turns out that this would be nice Building developement of new (affordable homes) another con if you like, i have seen this happen a number of times in areas of the country. Greed yet again raising its head. looks like we facing the double edged sword here!

Comment

Time to Pray for Battlesbridge

Lets hope the Judge was brought up on a diet of TV Scrambles ..........U know I have utmost respect for English law - has led the world for centuries - but the way we pander to the odd complaint from an individual against the benefit of the many astounds me.............my local MX practice track - Milll Lane MX - used to be Gingers ...has been an MX track for 30 years - its away from houses - a family moved in 2 years ago - and put in a complaint to the council .......and last year after court hearing after court hearing was adjourned - they were reduced to one saturday a month............where is the justice in that? It's the old airport syndrome - i.e moving into a cheap house on the heathrow flight path and then complaining about noise !!- surely one should be innocent until proven guilty? - not when council noise issue come into play ..............and what is really bizarre - is the son of this wingeing couple behind the court case rides at Mill Lane...go figure

Comment

On what grounds was the enforcement notice given...noise...access...etc..?

Comment

Dave, my guess would be the noise from the live twangers......

Comment

Battlesbridge

Details if the appeal can be viewed here www.drurl.net/142 (click on Documents for details). It would appear that Jim Gallie owner of the Battlesbridge site is in breach of planning permission in that he has permanent fixtures (lights, toilet block etc) on the land which is in breach of the 28 day rule. ie the council view it as a permanent 'showground' not just a field that is used for occasional events on less than 28 days of the year.

Comment

That sounds easy to remedy!

Comment

Battlesbridge - in defence of the 'live twangers'....

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                        Dave, my guess would be the noise from the live twangers......
                        Not sure if they still race bikes at Glastonbury any more Brian, but the music festival seems to be thriving.....

Really sorry to hear this about Battlebridge though.....As Colin said, Jim Gallie and his team have been a great help to the club over many years and it's good to hear that the GRA is getting behind this one. I sincerely hope there is a favourable outcome.....way too much of this selfish/devisive rubbish going on in the world nowadays.....

Incidently, and by way of a little balance here....when I last attended Battlesbridge I didn't think the bands were intrusive in any way, certainly in terms of 'volume'. They were ok on the whole as I remember, mostly keen amatuer or semi-pro outfits, and added greatly to the really nice atmosphere at the event in my view. Besides, you need a pretty big PA system if you're playing outdoors/at a festival (this is based on experience....especially if it's at all windy....) and what I saw on the stage that year was just a small vocal PA (300w ish, max...?) with nothing miked up....hardly a 10K rig with a 1K foldback system....Here's one for the twangers....when I last played at DeMontfort Hall in Leicester, I used my little VOX AC10 (10w valve amp) with the volume set at around '1.5' and it wasn't even miked up....and that's a BIG venue. The acoustics are so amazing there it was all I needed, even with a full orchestra (!).....Less is more...turn it up till you can here it, then STOP. That's what I used to teach my students. Interesting thing about volume....it's logarithmic, not linear. To be 'twice as loud' as a 10w amp you need 100w, not 20....as a 'rule of thumb'.

Anyway, I think these additional attractions can give a welcome distraction and something to do for those people (and the kids) who may have been 'dragged along' and may not want to traipse all day round 'looking at bikes' like the rest of us....In fact, the 'something for everyone' approach is one of the things that makes Battlesbridge such a special event in my opinion, thanks to Jim and his team, and that seems to be reflected in all the happy people I saw that day.

I do hope there is a favourable outcome to this....for everyone that takes part in this 'special' event.....

Brian.

Comment

I have never been to or been involved in battlebridge, but surely, as the owner could be in breach of planning regs, then can he not just return the site to temp toilets & lighting....to return the status quo............now they would have been loud.......
                          Some technical stuff there brian, but i prefer ian gillan from deep purples approach, when he said " i want everything louder than everything else "...... seemed to work for them...

Comment

Hi mate,

My other amp goes up to '11' (one louder than 10!)....., but only for the 'rock' gigs.....nothing will loose you the rebooking faster than being too loud at a function/corporate event.....

......but at least you know why I'm a bit 'mutton' now.....

Brian.

Comment

Its ok brian, cause i don`t think deep purple are ever gonna get the b/bridge gig....

Comment

Working...
                              X