Marks Tey, Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marks Tey, Sunday

Pre '65 MX Club scramble at Marks Tey on Sunday. The weather forecast looks good and the ground should be nice and soft.

I'm going along to catch up with the Greeves Championship, see some mates and take photos for Leading Link. And watch some good racing, of course.

If nobody objects, I'll take some copies of the Greeves book along in case anyone wants one. I'll settle down somewhere near Terry during the lunch break if you want to find me.
    Colin Sparrow

If I get there....I'll bring some ISDT books for you to peruse, including the newly released 1974 book, not there is any Greeves content!

Comment

Should be a good one...............for the spectators !

Colin and Brian - look forward to seeing you tomorrow at Marks Tey ..let's hope it doesn't rain too much today - give the track a chance to recover and get some good racing in !

Should be a an exciting championship finale and battle between Griffon Slayer and Gary Smith .........Gary ahead on points (I think ) going into the last round - but injured from East Hanningfield but sure to ride and Richard's with his re-welded Hawkstone frame hanging on in there!!
      Cheers Kim
      Last edited by Kim275; 11/10/2014, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Brilliant day's racing yesterday. The track conditions were pretty much ideal, once the chairs had got the wet grass off the top, and once the sun came out a bit it was even comfortable for us spectators.

The final two races of the Greeves championship were real nail-biters. Gary Smith was leading coming into the meeting, with Richard Hayward and Matt McCulloch pretty close behind.

Matt won the first race from Richard (on the Hawkstone, don't forget) with a somewhat detuned Gary third.

In race two Matt got away in the lead, chased by a determined Gary while Rikky Widdowson kept the Griffon slayer back in fourth. So it was all looking good for Matt to retain his championship.

Then there was a bit of a pile up on the far side of the circuit, so the race was halted. No serious injuries, although Barry Keymer was a bit knocked about.

At the restart Matt got away in the lead from Rikky with Gary third. Matt Valentine was also in the mix, pushing Richard back another place. Matt Mc looked to have it sorted, but an off on the last lap handed the race to Rikky with Gary second and a dnf for Matt. Thrilling race.

So the final championship top three were: Gary Smith (380 Griffon), Richard Hayward (250 Hawkstone) and Matt McCulloch (380 Griffon).

Congratulations to Gary for a determined couple of rides and the championship victory.
        Attached Files
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

A great pity that I didn't get there, but I had other work to do that had to take precedence.

Comment

A cracking days racing in the Greeves Championship

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
            Brilliant day's racing yesterday. The track conditions were pretty much ideal, once the chairs had got the wet grass off the top, and once the sun came out a bit it was even comfortable for us spectators.

The final two races of the Greeves championship were real nail-biters. Gary Smith was leading coming into the meeting, with Richard Hayward and Matt McCulloch pretty close behind.

Matt won the first race from Richard (on the Hawkstone, don't forget) with a somewhat detuned Gary third.

In race two Matt got away in the lead, chased by a determined Gary while Rikky Widdowson kept the Griffon slayer back in fourth. So it was all looking good for Matt to retain his championship.

Then there was a bit of a pile up on the far side of the circuit, so the race was halted. No serious injuries, although Barry Keymer was a bit knocked about.

At the restart Matt got away in the lead from Rikky with Gary third. Matt Valentine was also in the mix, pushing Richard back another place. Matt Mc looked to have it sorted, but an off on the last lap handed the race to Rikky with Gary second and a dnf for Matt. Thrilling race.

So the final championship top three were: Gary Smith (380 Griffon), Richard Hayward (250 Hawkstone) and Matt McCulloch (380 Griffon).

Congratulations to Gary for a determined couple of rides and the championship victory.
            Good write up Colin great rides form Gary and Richard. ..from a riders eye view I concur - very exciting racing.............
            Not sure what happened in the pile up that caused the red flag - all I know is that as I came fast round the first bend I had a front wheel/tyre all over my right hip and leg.......so somebody was way too hot and wheelying into the first corner...which will was not going to end well for the pack coming behind ....didn't even see the rider - and I was pinning the 250 at the time .....but back in the pits feeling sore i checked my leg and have tyre marks all down my race pants and all over the exhaust of the bike ! Brilliant Job by Dave Harper and Geoff Nunn running the championship - keep up the good work !!

Comment

Hi all,

Indeed a cracking final round.

Gary smith had a twenty odd point lead going into the final round, so wisely rode very defensively and safe, he was still very injured from hanningfield..

Richard Haywood's bike was playing up so he borrowed Richard trees bike for race one. Graham Mitchell and myself managed to get riches bike going for the second race...he was griffon slaying again after that.....he was a well deserved hawkstone class winner this year...

As to the pile up in race two I saw it happen, Barry keymer went in the back of my dads hawkstone in the first corner, this sent Barry flying and he got run over by Richard legget, dad managed to stay on.

I had to watch as I had a dodgy finger from an insident with a hacksaw.....

I managed to get my cheapest greeves trophy to date, I only rode in 3 rounds this year and finished 4th in the challenger class, this really needs more support, my first year I did nearly all the rounds and only managed to get 6th.

Congratulations to gary smith for a well deserved championship win, he won lots of races this year and kept the bike reliable.. So well done.

Well done to mike bell for another class win this year on the challenger, it will go nicely with his hawkstone trophy from last year..

So all in all another great year for the greeves championship...

Scott

Comment

Couldn't agree more! A cracking final round and an excellent series. Thanks all, and particularly Dave, Geoff and Terry for keeping it all going.

Mike did well, of course, but so did son, Adam to take second place in the Hawkstone Class on my old 2008 Class winner. Another fine Father and Son pairing ............ long may that tradition continue.

Here's to 2015, then?

#461 (still there in spirit!)

Comment

Working...
                X