Ipswich to Felixtowe Run 4th May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ipswich to Felixtowe Run 4th May

Only one Greeves on the annual Ipswich to Felixtowe run today, a 20TA owned by John Southall of Ipswich he told me he bought the bike a few months ago, it had been with its last owner for number of years & apart from the scrambles seat its very original. Sadly the original number had been sold off & replaced with an age related one (591 YUW)

There were two other Greeves entered, a 25DC (2615 MD) by D Masters of Great Holland & a 25DD Essex (AFX 367A) by Dave Thorpe of Ipswich but neither turned up.

I recognise that bike, I helped the first owner's widow to sell it. The distinctive feature is the fork-mounted tool box. The bike is so original.

The previous owner, who had it from new, ordered it with a scrambles seat - they were available as a factory option. This was because the bike had to double as a ride-to-work mount and do trials at weekends.

It had quite a nice low number. It was inevitable that it would get sold off.

Nice to see it's alive and well.

Look out for Dave Master's Sports Twin in RealClassic magazine; probably June, possibly July. Another bike still with its original owner.
    Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 06/05/2014, 08:31 AM.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

20ta

Colin, I thought I had seen this bike before it was of course the one you put up on here, I tried to search for the thread but I think you have deleted it. As you say it did have a nice original low number, so looks as though it went via a 'dealer' from the widow. Very sad when a bike so original & a long time with one owner gets treated like this. The current owner was asking me about restoring it, but I advised him to leave it as it is, & only replace essential parts if they wear out, & enjoy riding it. Hopefully he may be joining the club.

Comment

I know where the original number went. The chap who bought it from the original owner's widow kept it for transfer to his VW.

I had "first refusal" to purchase the bike from him but declined when I found that the provenance had been lost.

John R
        Last edited by johnrunnacles; 06/05/2014, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnrunnacles View Post
          I know where the original number went. The chap who bought it from the original owner's widow kept it for transfer to his VW!! I made my disapproval known to him ...............

John R
          Sad state of affairs I think they call it 'widow robbing', the current owner paid around £2k for it so presumably the VW owner did well out of the deal. I hope he is not a GRA member
          What was the original number John?

Comment

Colin may remember, John. I seem to recall it as an East Suffolk issue, so had a particular attraction to me.
            There was exchange of correspondence on the Forum initiated by Colin at time of its original sale, but I can't find it now.
            And, to be fair, I don't believe that the seller had anything of the kind suggested by you in mind, John, when he originally bought the bike.
            John R
            Last edited by johnrunnacles; 06/05/2014, 04:07 PM.

Comment

I can't find the thread either, but I seem to recall it was YRT 5.

Don't treat that as gospel, though.
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
                I can't find the thread either, but I seem to recall it was YRT 5.

Don't treat that as gospel, though.
                Think you are right Colin, its now on a VW

Registration YRT5
                Make VOLKSWAGEN
                Model PASSAT
                Description ALLTRACK TDI BMT 4
                Fuel Type Diesel

Comment

Working...
                X