Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Morton's website, posted yesterday:

Weather Update from Bath & West Showground

As you will have heard on the news, there are ongoing problems in the South West of the country due to the storms that we are currently experiencing.

We aim to keep you up to date with the road closures and accessibility in the area, as well as the state of the Showground itself.

Please check this article back regularly for any updates, as well as our Facebook and Twitter pages, and our official app.

- The show is still going ahead this weekend

- Advance tickets are still on sale and close at midnight on Thursday February 6

- Parking arrangements have been made so we can get visitors on hard-standing where possible

- 90% of the show is undercover in the halls so have not been affected by the recent storms

UPDATED - 11.35am 05/02/2014
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

I won't be going Colin. I used to love this show when it was at Bristol (and was one of the only shows of its type). When I last went to Shepton, the jumble was mostly market stalls selling sweets and jewelery. There was only about 6 proper jumblers. There was also a number of clubs missing. Maybe I just went on a bad year. I had free tickets plus I was working in Bristol so I wasn't too bothered.

I'm saving myself (and shekels) for Telford.

Have a great time and please give my regards to the gang!

Comment

Shepton

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
        From Morton's website, posted yesterday:

Weather Update from Bath & West Showground

As you will have heard on the news, there are ongoing problems in the South West of the country due to the storms that we are currently experiencing.

We aim to keep you up to date with the road closures and accessibility in the area, as well as the state of the Showground itself.

Please check this article back regularly for any updates, as well as our Facebook and Twitter pages, and our official app.

- The show is still going ahead this weekend

- Advance tickets are still on sale and close at midnight on Thursday February 6

- Parking arrangements have been made so we can get visitors on hard-standing where possible

- 90% of the show is undercover in the halls so have not been affected by the recent storms

UPDATED - 11.35am 05/02/2014
        Of course Mortons would say that, after all they dont want to cancel & loose money, but as the forcast is for up to 100 mph winds & torrential rain in the South West of England only a fool will enter out tommorrow especially on a bike. Its getting there & back safely thats the issue here, with the high probability of flooded roads on route.

Comment

Shepton Show

Have just returned from setting up the GRA stand I found no problems in travelling.The A361 is closed at Burrowbridge all other routes are normal..Arrangments are in place for hard standing car parking.Come and visit the stand and have a chat. Les.

Comment

Shepton is up in the hills not down on the levels!! But I am with Rob, saving up for Telford, Any one want to buy Fluff Brown Cotton to help me liberate some more funds

Comment

Dogsbody - don't forget the Telford Show, in my humble opinion vastly superior to Shepton.

Regarding Gary's report of the 6ft croc loose in Bristol, if it gets up to the show, Crocodile Dun-Dangerous Dick will break it!

Comment

Re: the crocodile....I have it on good authority that the croc has been caught and eaten by the Loch Ness Monster who hasn't been seen in it's normal habitat for 18 months, but is on holiday in the Somerset levels......

Comment

Rob, yes, I will go to Telford anyway. I was talking to Charlie Williams last night about the MGP in August, he's a guest speaker at Telford, always has interesting tales. Dogsbody

Comment

lol

tis fokelore PMSL

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                    Re: the crocodile....I have it on good authority that the croc has been caught and eaten by the Loch Ness Monster who hasn't been seen in it's normal habitat for 18 months, but is on holiday in the Somerset levels......

Comment

not going

SORRY CHAPS cant go got bad flue ! defo going jomble you rob ?
                      give me regards to LES

Comment

Ah, Charlie Williams, one of my Yamaha riding heroes. I see he is going to have another go!

Poor old Gary - sure it's not water-borne bubonic plague where you live?! Nobody's going to come down on the train with a get-well card, that's for sure! Might see you at the jumble in March.

Comment

Bristol Show (Shepton Mallet)

Well I braved the storms and after finishing my nightshift I got to the showground on Sunday before the gates opened.
                          Sadly as I feared the show is really quite a tired affair these days.
                          Apart from the exhibits (& I must add the GRA stand was well stocked) and a few of the regular stalls the rest were full of cheap (and not so cheap) tat. Very little in the way of autojumble.
                          I know it's me being a bit pedantic but what have 2014 bikes got to do with a Classic Show?
                          Some of the club stands were very innovative and entertaining, the bikes themselves were of course the stars and mostly well presented. Nice to see a Greeves getting top honours for the best competition (trials & scrambles) it was a very handsome bike. (1954 20T owned by A Bradley)
                          I did have doubts about going this year, but decided to go anyway, but will probably not bother next year.
                          Looking forward to Telford.
                          Sorry if I sound negative,(I'm on nights this week) but I was not alone in my opinions after speaking to a few 'regulars'.

Colin

Comment

I bet it will be a different picture from Mortons when we read the report in OBM next month. Too much of the same, the classic bike thing has been done to death. I suspect Mortons are including modern stuff to bolster up the shows & by attracting younger people. Maybe they should include stands selling Zimmer frames & Shoprider buggies!!

Comment

Classic shows

Colin

I didn't get to the Bristol show last weekend, but agree with you and others that most, if not all so called classic bike shows have gone well past their best. Damp and draughty agricultural showground sheds are not suited for classic shows.

I know there is a cost consideration, but personally I would rather pay more to get in to a better quality venue. Alan Wright has got it right (sorry about the pun) with his Off Road show. Telford has the warm, dry, venue with reasonable and secure parking. Once every two years is about enough for me. Only two weeks to go......

Comment

Hi Phil,

I thought I would try not to be to negative, but yes it was cold and the faint aroma of sh1t was present as always.
                                I agree with you, Telford is an altogether superb event & superb venue.

Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X