100 mile Scramble, Mortimer Classic MCC July 20th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mortimer Scramble

Just to let members know the GRA hospitality caravan will be in attendance on Saturday evening if it hangs together on the journey from West Sussex.

Myself and Chairman, Capt Mainwaring (Rob) will be riding on Sunday or rather peering through the dust clouds on Hawkstone and Challenger machines if still in a sober state,

Hope all the Greeves teams do well , see you all on Sat evening Dick

Comment

Be pleased to see you both Dick I hope you sorted the gremlins on the Griffon! hawkstone Heroes will be parked in the overflow car park to the right
      Punchy 336

Comment

Just got home from the 100 miler, and I'm afraid I have to report that we didn't win. Again.... Never mind, we all enjoyed the fun and games. Even the weather was kind to us and the clouds helped keep the temperature down to a reasonable level. I'll be able to post some pics a bit later in the week, as I'm now trying to get my car packed for a different event tomorrow.

Comment

Just before hitting the sack, I found this group shot someone took.
          Attached Files

Comment

True sports, and Heroes all, bridging the 40 years + age gap too between Michael and Evan!
            Congratulations, Team!!
            Last edited by johnrunnacles; 21/07/2013, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Could someone name the members in the photo please for the benefit of the new members who never met. Many thanks.Mick

Comment

It was a Team Relay Race, so each rider does 15 minute stints. The chequered flag is then hung out and the riders go to the arrival box, where they leave the bike to the catcher and run to thir own pit to change the bib. At the same time, the transponder runner takes the transponder from that bike and runs to the strat line, where,,,,,hopefully, the bike holder has the next team bike ready to receive it's newly bibbed rider. All understood?????
                The Team.....OK, most of them, anyway....
                Left to Right,
                Michael Eustace, baby of the team....rides well when he can start his bike!
                Rob Dickerson, transponder runner.
                Evan Lewis, man of much experience, put in a solid ride.
                ??? didn't catch the name, but he caught the bikes at the end of the sessions at the arrival box.
                Adrian Dickerson, another solid ride.
                Dave Higgins of the 250 BSA Greeves, good ride despite a few moments of anxiety about starting the beast!
                Mrs Lewis, kept an eye on the returning riders after their hot laps!
                Yours truly, machine wheeler to the start line, provider of chilled water and snapper of pics.

Comment

Could not have done it as well without you brian, but for any of you wondering about the strange expression on adrians face?, its because i`ve just gave him a wedgy...

Comment

I don't know about a wedgy Dave, it felt more like a crinklecut!
                    The missing name from the photo is Pete Griffiths and what a great job all of our helpers did, their contribution helped cement the finish position of twelfth from the twenty one teams assembled. A real team effort towards which everyone contributed, riders and helpers alike. All credit must go to the Mortimer Club for organising and putting on such a brilliant weekend, the Hundred miler on the Saturday followed by Classic Scramble the following day. Copious watering of the track kept the dust down and the riders guessing as to which line to take in various parts of the course. Robs collection of photo's depicting the very wet 2011 event and posted on a board attracted much attention over the whole day. All four machines in our team were Hawkstones in various guises from Mikes Villiers iron barrel, Evan's square Greeves and my Vale Onslow through to Daves well engineered C15 engined machine. At the end of the day there was precious little to choose between any of our lap times, printed for all to see. Really enjoyed the whole weekend, thanks to everyone for making it so. Same again for next year then and did anyone add up the combined total of our ages, 200+perhaps

Comment

It was a good day on Sunday, but a bit too hot in the afternoon. Managed to survive Practice and the first Greeves race but discovered one of my swinging arm spindle nuts had disappeared and I didn't have a spare (home made spindle with AF threads!).

I did think of chancing it for the second race but virtually everything on the MX4 frame depends on the swinging arm spindle. Remove it and everything falls apart.

There are some good pictures from the event, including Practice on the Click 466 site.

See you all at East Hanningfield on 18 August.
                      John A - 268

Comment

The Team in Action!

Adrian, Dave, Michael and Evan, all during practice. I'll sort some race shots later.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Race shots.

Adrian, Dave, Michael (on Adrian's bike) and Evan.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I can't believe there has been no comments so far! My CZ pics from this meet have collected 20 likes on FarceBook......

Comment

Brian - some great shots thanks for posting - but then you know Greeves always look better than those CZ thingies - so relax

Comment

So am I Brian especially as Evan in the last photo had spent ages cleaning and polishing his bike (which he's owned since the 60's) its pretty much an original 60's bike just like the engrained mud deposits.
                                Punchy 336

Comment

Working...
                                X