X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISDT Centenary Regs now available

£75 to ride on open public roads?

ISDT Centenary regs

The £75 does entitle you to a lunch and entry to the banquet but still seems a lot for someone to organise a route.
    The 3 day rally at 6 times the mileage seems better value at £195 plus licence plus insurance plus recovery. Any of you guys with ISDT reps up for it?

I use to whinge at £30 for the Welsh back in '76.

Druid

Comment

I think a major factor is the RAC Authorisation fee for the road route and I'll try to find out what this would be. I am organising a car event, also as a "big Birthday" for a noted refreshment stop, and we will be hiring an airfield for the day and giving them lunch bags and 2 meals on their return to said establishment. Price? Exactly the same as the ISDT event, at £75.

Comment

Has anyone booked to do this Centenary event? If so let me know your movements etc. I'm going up on Wednesday and would like to do a recce for photo spots. I've spent a few hours on Google street view, but it really needs a confirmation of likely spots.

Comment

I was going to ride in it but then my wife's cousin bought a castle in France and invited us over to stay. Unfortunately, they had a big fire and now we are not going yet so I could have gone to Carlisle after all.

However, as has been said, £65 or whatever to ride on public roads, finding your own way, no marked maps and no recovery back to the start. Think it may be a commercial organisation running it and not a club.

I think there is also the 'Nostalgia' event ISDT run from Ambleside on Friday 16th Aug.

Could be worth attending both but it is a long way from the South Coast for me!

Comment

On enquiry, I find the programme will be available at the Start of the "modern" event on the Thursday morning. I would have liked to see it before that to see who and what is appearing......

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
              I was going to ride in it but then my wife's cousin bought a castle in France and invited us over to stay. Unfortunately, they had a big fire and now we are not going yet so I could have gone to Carlisle after all.

However, as has been said, £65 or whatever to ride on public roads, finding your own way, no marked maps and no recovery back to the start. Think it may be a commercial organisation running it and not a club.

I think there is also the 'Nostalgia' event ISDT run from Ambleside on Friday 16th Aug.

Could be worth attending both but it is a long way from the South Coast for me!
              As you say Rob £65 to ride on public roads is taking the p**s. a comercial concern trying to rake in some cash.

Comment

We are finding this sham club situation a lot in the car world, where a "club" exists to promote the event as required by RACMSA Regs, but to do the event, you have to join that club and re-inforce the appearance of normality, but in actual fact, the club is just the outer face of a profit-making company. OK, some of these outfits are organising high cost events that need huge resources to make a viable job of something like the Peking to Paris or Sydney to London events that some of my pals work on. Sadly, the ISDT 100 doesn't seem to fall into this area of organisation.

Comment

If its on public roads there is nothing to stop anyone tagging on & riding the route for free, but 130 miles on metaled roads, all be it in
                  Cumbria, does not present itself as exciting for ISDT/enduro bike riders. I note that riders have to wear flouresent bibs so the whole thing will look like a circus. The thing appears to be run as a Road Safety Run something that the VMCC do alot. Not really any competative element other than maybe at certain points riders are observed for hand signels etc. an event that gets around the Rally Act which killed off many of the real ISDT events that used public roads. Remember the Aldermaston Nomads Pathfinder ISDT type event Brian.
                  Last edited by John Wakefield; 05/08/2013, 10:46 PM. Reason: Derbyshire corrected to Cumbria

Comment

I'm not sure where you got the details from John, but the event I'm going to is in Cumbria, based on Carlisle and is about 100 miles long and retraces the route of the first day of the first ISDT. Unfortunately this route is now all on tarmac, but , as close as possible, is the original route. That is the "attraction" of the event.
                    I have had thoughts of another event for the future, maybe nearer the population centres, but with competitive element for those that wish, or non-competitive for those that just want a bimble round the countryside.

Comment

Going back to the hi-vis bib bit, I'll bet they are plastered in sponsors names. I saw something about an enduro the other week that anyone trimming their (competition) number plates and therefore removing sponsors names would be excluded.

Our old mate money again!

Comment

Is derbyshire not in the lake district then.....

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                          I'm not sure where you got the details from John, but the event I'm going to is in Cumbria, based on Carlisle and is about 100 miles long and retraces the route of the first day of the first ISDT. Unfortunately this route is now all on tarmac, but , as close as possible, is the original route. That is the "attraction" of the event.
                          I have had thoughts of another event for the future, maybe nearer the population centres, but with competitive element for those that wish, or non-competitive for those that just want a bimble round the countryside.
                          Whoops should have read Cumbria Brian. Frankly I dont see the point of trying to retrace the ISDT route from so long ago on tarmac roads. Those with an interest in ISDT & off road riding would more likely appreciate some off road work. Trouble is as soon as it be comes 'organised' it needs legislation & money needs to change hands. Frankly the best way to enjoy the countryside is to take off with a few friends & go trail riding. To charge £65 for this 'bimble' is extortionate, even taking out the cost of the meal its going to be in the region of £55 to ride on public roads for which you have already paid for through road fund licence & insurance.

Comment

John: Agreed, but I feel we need a better event for such enthusiasts. Sur Le Continent, they have some fantastic gatherings that include a range of rides from bimbles to competitive. You do the bit you (and the bike) are happy with, meet like-minded souls, eat, drink and everyone seems happy.
                            I'm not sure of the originator of this event, but, like you, I would want some off-road, even if not a lot, on this Centenary bash.
                            Dave, Lake District is even further north than Derbyshire, I just hope the bird in the box is awake when I get to Carlisle or I might overshoot and get into Scotland!
                            Last edited by Brian Catt; 06/08/2013, 12:54 PM.

Comment

I'm going to be busy. Wednesday arrive. Thursday recce. Friday cover the Kendal Classic run. Saturday at signing-on for Sunday the Commemorative run. The only GRA member to contact me has been Paul Collier from Washington, no, not Tyne and Wear! I eagerly await his details so we can get together.

Comment

Working...
                              X