Mike Kemp Trial - Hungry Hill, Aldershot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Kemp Trial - Hungry Hill, Aldershot

I had an excellent day out at the Mike Kemp trial today. I'm not making this up, ....... but it actually stopped raining and the sun even made a brief appearance in the afternoon. There were several routes - yellow (easy), red (hard) and blue (elite) to cater for the vast array of bikes (some very trick Hondas) that turned out to ride the 12 section 3 lap event. They had a really good entry around 95 and I counted about 5 Greeves in all. Set in woodland, there were steep climbs, tight swisty stuff and plenty of greasy cambers to catch the riders out.

I rode the easy route and I found it a little too easy, that said, some of the sections were testing - I dropped 5 (1, 3, 1). Next time I will go for the red route which had some longer and more testing sections - some of them looked extremely difficult, but all were cleanable. The bike was a delight to ride, it ran cleanly all day, beit plodding around the tight stuff or when I wrang it's neck on some of the longer hill climbs. I was running 4 psi on a Michelin and the grip was fine, spinning up a couple of times but finding grip again with ease.

All in all it was a great day out. The Greeves trial is being held at Frensham Ponds (Farnham/Aldershot) on the last weekend in April - the course will be similar and I for one will be riding - dust off your bikes and join me!

Brilliant venue Hungry Hill, isn't it?
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

I helped Martin and Rupert Kemp lay out the trial the previous day, soaked to the skin by the time we finished but we took on board some comments after last years event and eased the sections a bit, so thanks for the positive feedback, Mike.
      I rode my Cheetah (with a Greeves barrel) on the red route, first proper trial since a complete rebuild and had a few teething troubles which I got sorted throughout the day, but ran out of time so missed the last 7 sections as we still had to tear it all down again before it got dark.
      General concensus was that we got the sections about right, I hear that the best rider on the red route dropped 1. (I'd dropped more than that after 3 sections!)
      For info, the late Mike Kemp (father of Martin and Rupert, who both ride Greeves in trials) was a Greeves enthusiast and very good engineer who used to compete in trials on his well sorted machinery back in the day.
      I will be helping the same team lay out the GRA trial in April at Frensham Vale, and will be competing on my TDS, so as Mike says, please come and have a wobble round, after all its what the bikes were built for! We plan to make the easiest route suitable for raw novices and 'gentlemen' alike, so please don't be shy!

Comment

Ive just seen the results, congratulations Mike for winning your class!!

Obviously helps if you ride a Greeves

Comment

Frensham Trial

Jeff or Mike,
          Can you put me intouch with the organiser of the Frensham Trial. I have some of Dave Bickers old trials trophies. Perhaps they could be used at that trial. My email is terry.tdsservices@googlemail.com

All the best for the new year Terry Sewell.

Comment

Chaps,

Must say I'm very cheered by the comments here! Sorry I could not be there but I was away in Wales for the New Year (but did manage to visit the Narberth Classic Club trial).

I rode last year and didn't think the easy sections were very easy or that much different from the next class up! However, I am sure that get the sections right and the riders will come out!

I rode in the recent Jack Thompson and it was a superb trial and the easy sections were easy(ish). This trial did have a reputation as one to avoid yet sensible route plotting has turned this around and the entry was 100 British bikes of which no less than 15 were Greeves (and 5 entered under the GRA!)

Not everyone wants a 'challenge' or to 'develop their skills' as you read so often. A lot just want a bit of cheap fun on a genuine old bike. Perhaps common sense is returning and CoC's are learning to provide for the £8k 'Bantam' set elsewhere.

The recent Perce Simon and Downland Trophy events were also excellent. I would ride a lot more if I knew the event was going to reasonable and think a lot of other riders would too.

It's a real shame that the Frensham trial clashes with Stafford at which a lot of the committee and others will be attending.

Anyway, thanks for the info on Mike and well done to those responsible for the MK event. Thanks also to Terry for taking the time to write up the event on the forum. That's one of the reasons it's there!

Together we will get those Greeves back out there!

Thanks,

Rob

Comment

For those of you who have had their appetite whetted by the Mike Kemp Trial, how about riding in the CSMA Red Tap Trial on Sunday 3rd February? This trial is held annually at Bagshot South (1 mile south of the junction between the A325 and A30 in Surrey). There are 2 routes, and the easy route provides a pleasant days ride, and not a stern challenge! The trial is intended for Pre-67 and twinshock machines, with sections laid out accordingly. Regs are in this month's edition of The Sporting Motorcyclist, or on the CSMA website.
              And theres more.....Normandy MCC are running the Goodwin Shield trial at Hungry Hill, Aldershot, Hants on Sunday 24th February. This is a Pre-67 and twinshock trial. Regs are again in this month's edition of The Sporting Motorcyclist, or on the Normandy MCC website. I have not ridden this trial before myself, but I will ride it this year.

Martin
              Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 06/01/2013, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X