Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Festival of a Thousand Bikes, next weekend. (6/7/8 July 2012.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festival of a Thousand Bikes, next weekend. (6/7/8 July 2012.)

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone will be going to the Festival of a Thousand Bikes at Mallery Park next weekend. I understand the GRA will be represented and I wil
    be going. it would be nice to meet some fellow members "in the flesh" rather than just in siber-space.
    Regards,
    Andrew.

Yes, there will be a GRA stand in the "Avenue of Clubs".

I'm most likely going on the Saturday.
    Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
      Yes, there will be a GRA stand in the "Avenue of Clubs".

I'm most likely going on the Saturday.
      OK Colin see you there.

Comment

Sorry folks, the decision was taken by the stand organisers following a soaking wet day on Friday not to take the GRA stand to the 1000 Bikes. A sensible decision, I'd say.

I went on Saturday (which appears to have been the best day weatherwise) and it was a bit mucky and muddy in places, plus the car parks were getting quite well chewed up. Everyone was enjoying themselves though. Not many Greeves about, saw one lonely 25DC, a few in the trial and Bob Horton's Oulton sprinter - a bike which can crack 13 secs for the quarter.

Saw Club Vice President Peter Smith in the jumble and Club Chairman Rob Thornton and his "Past Master" chum Dick Faggetter competing in the trial. Dick was on an Anglian but Rob was on the 'Enfield. The shame of it!

They were in good company. Former 500cc MotoGP World Champion Kevin Schwantz. On a Francis Barnet!
        No. 24 (well somone else had pinched 34)
        Attached Files
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

So that's why I could not find the stand ! I did watch the trial however and spotted a couple of Greeves. Shame Mr Schwantz did not get the chance to experience riding one.
          Despite the weather I thought the FOAB was most enjoyable.
          Andrew.

Comment

Just heard that poor old Tommy Robb came off the Honda yesterday and is in hospital with broken ribs and a punctured lung. I was only chatting to him on Saturday.

A really nice guy; do hope he'll be ok.
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
              Just heard that poor old Tommy Robb came off the Honda yesterday and is in hospital with broken ribs and a punctured lung. I was only chatting to him on Saturday.

A really nice guy; do hope he'll be ok.

That is bad news. Tommy is one of the real gentlemen of the sport. Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery.

Comment

Tommy Rob

Bit surprised that he rode as according to this press release in 2010 http://eng.bikersclassics.be/index.p...ikers-Classics he was packing up racing and parading then. He was 75 then which makes him 77 now. I suppose one must question the wisdom of a 77 year old on a racing motorcycle at a public event.

Comment

It's not the numbers involved, it's being fit enough to ride John. There are plenty younger people who have found this out.

Comment

Tommy Robb

Point taken Brian but if you read the report he was not a fit man in 2010 & gave up racing/parading at that time for that reason.

Comment

Working...
                    X