Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Easter in Barbrook (Lands End Trial 2012.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easter in Barbrook (Lands End Trial 2012.)

Busy Easter weekend in Barbrook North Devon .Good Friday we had The Lands End Trial come through to ride /drive up the Beggars Roost and this year the organisers changed the Control/stop to Barbrook from last years stop at County Gate so we could provide refreshments for the competitors in our village hall in aid of our village charity of which I am a trustee.Very intresting as we did not no how many would take our offer of food and drink,in the end I think nearly all brought something.We had 150 bikes and sidecars from BMW GS 1100 to KTMs ,Cheney Trimphs ,Honda C90 Yamaha T80 and Mike Tizard & Bob Case on thier Triumph Greeves Challenger the only Greeves. We also had 235 cars from special trials cars like Marlin and Dellow to Austin 7s and Ford Populars in total about 600 riders drives and passengers so lots of tea coffee and bacon rolls.The only problem is that the first bike arrives at 11.45 PM Friday night and the last car leaves about 6 am Saturday morning.They have an 30 minuite stop to sign in refuel at the only garage in ths area so we get chance to look at all the bikes .Had a chat with Mike and the bike looks great said he would loved to bring to the AGM but did not have time as only fitted sidecar to bike about 3 weeks ago and was still testing and sorting out.
    Next the Exmoor 2day trial at Shallowford Farm Barbrook on Easter Sunday (not providing food for them) only 1 Greeves bike lots of tricked up James Bantams and Ariels.
    Have more photos of Mikes bike but to big to upload will have to find way to compress ?
    Attached Files

Lands end trial

The Lands End Trial is a superb event and thorough test of man and machine. I'm happy to report the Greeves did OK.

It was 360 miles from Popham to the finish at Penhale and I was very happy to end up with a finishers certificate. Riding a sidecar is a challenge - one fitted to a Challenger is a double challenge then! My mobile ballest (Bob) and I had not ridden the bike in anger and we had a couple of initial difficulties in getting the front to grip - so that I could at least steer. After clearing Felons Oak, we spectaculary failed Beggars Roost - I simply could not get off the line - It just pulled left (uncontrollably), after a couple of attempts we had to take a run and eventually made it to the top. I should explain the MCC sections are a standing start usually on a hill - when I dumped the clutch the back wheel gripped and we went left ... hard left! We tried a different approach on the next section - I lent as far forward as possible and Bob, came right over onto the bike, it worked, and we controlled the 'left turn' from then on. We ended up cleaning some of the more difficult sections, including some re-starts and were really chuffed with the results.

About 7 miles from Perranporth and the final two sections at blue hills, the bike started to loose power, then misfire and eventually it stopped. After a few anxious minutes we traced the fault to a flat battery - I'd been running with lights on and it had stopped charging and ran the battery down. After switching the lights off the bike fired up - we were off again, but how long could a flat battery, albeit with no load, last! I disconnecting the rear brake light to lessen the load still further. Needless to say, we made it to the sections at Blue Hills, failed the first, made the second, and with fingers crossed all the way, made it back to the finish. Boy was I glad to make it! After the best part of 32 hours without sleep we were knackered - the beer tasted oh so good, and we were very happy to see our lift turn up!

A great event. Come and join me on the Edinburgh in Oct - go on, you know you want to!
    Last edited by MikeTizard; 10/04/2012, 09:05 PM.

Comment

well done Mike, I've marshalled on a few MCC events and always admired those who have ridden so many hours to get to the finish. I'm glad you got the start line technique sorted out. Short wheelbase outfits always look very prone to flipping if you get too much grip, I have had to take evasive action on a couple of occasions while trying to help chairs up various hills and green lanes!
      What's the dates and start details of the Edinburgh?

Comment

Easter in Barbrook

I have never done this event, but know several that have! it looks as though wrestling with that outfit for all that time must have put another six inches on your arms.

Maybee another year it will be worth a go at! I am sure the Clubs Chairman would not need much persuading either to attend.

Well done Mate

Comment

Mike ,

Sounds silly , put the forks on full RH lock , give it a big handful and straighten up as you move .

Worked on all the outfits that went through the Comp Shop , including the OBG outfit .

Chris

Comment

Lands End Trial

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
            well done Mike, I've marshalled on a few MCC events and always admired those who have ridden so many hours to get to the finish. I'm glad you got the start line technique sorted out. Short wheelbase outfits always look very prone to flipping if you get too much grip, I have had to take evasive action on a couple of occasions while trying to help chairs up various hills and green lanes!
            A previous owner of my East Coaster, Peter Shepherd of Bognor Regis rode it in the Lands End trial. Here is a pic of it at his house prior to the either the 1969 or 1970 event riding number 60 registration number HPG 979C (now AHJ 23C). Maybe someone (Brian C?) has an old progamme with him listed. Must have been a challenge on a standard road bike. Sorry about pic quality its a copy of a copy. Dick I think you know Peter.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by John Wakefield; 11/04/2012, 05:36 PM. Reason: extra text added

Comment

easter in Barbrook.

Hi John, Yep I spoke to Peter again last year after about 40 years, I did not know that you had his bike untill that time, he was a member of the Bognor Regis and District MCC and we joined about the same time in and around 1963/64 ish.

He was at that time doing the Bike riding courses for new Motorcyclist at weekends at the now demolished LEC Refrigeration Factory at Bognor, he was a very keen organiser and competitor in the Night and Day runs that took place ,and also the Dragon rally events.

I was never a fan of wet weather riding unless it was aTrial or Scramble.

Comment

Peter Shepherd

Hi Dick
                Yep I managed to tack Peter down 4 years ago, his name was in the old green log book for the bike. He sent me some pics then, one with him riding the bike at LEC Refrigeration works where he used to run the ACU Training Scheme. Peter was the second owner of the bike & acquired it in May 1965 only a month after it was new. The first owner a Philip Creed living in West Croydon bought it new from Comerfords in April 1965. I think he may have been a mate of Peter who at that time lived in West Croydon.
                Peter then moved to West Norwood in July 1965 & then to Bognor in Jan 1967 I seem to remember he told me he still worked in the London area & used to commute on the Greeves to work every day. Peter sold the bike to Monty Banks, Vallance Rd, Stepney in April 1971 & it had its third owner, Michael Allen of Crondall, St London N1 within a couple of weeks, the last entry in the old log book. The bike then surfaced with a lady rider Elaine Adams in Harlow in 1985 having been restored by her husband, who bought it from MCS Motorcycles of Leytonstone. It was at this time that the bike got re registered owing to the DVLA refusing to re issue numbers at that time despite the old log book being present. . It then passed to a former GRA member Ivor Webb of Linton in July 1987 but got little use & was laid up until I bought it from him in June 1999. Its been a good bike & the trials use does not seem to have done it any harm. I am sure Peter maintained his bikes well.
                Peter was the only owner prior to Mrs Adams that I have been able to trace.
                The attached pic is of Peter on the Greeves EC at the LEC factory site in 1968.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by John Wakefield; 14/04/2012, 03:39 PM. Reason: text correction

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                  Hi Brian - The Edinburgh is on Sat 6th Oct. It starts at Tamworth services and runs north into the Peak district. A good trial with only a couple of really testing sections. Not as long as the LE, start times are early am and you are normally finished by 2pm - then the ride back to Tamworth to get to the car and trailer!

Comment

Thanks for the info Mike, I'll see if I can get up there to watch.

Comment

Working...
                    X