High Jinks at Marks Tey 2011.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Jinks at Marks Tey 2011.

A successful Pre-65 MX Club meeting at Marks Tey today. I had to leave before the end, so I will leave it to others to record the outcome of the Greeves events. Got a lot of pictures though and I'll post some once I've sorted them out. Once again if you were there on a Greeves let us know and I'll try and post up your picture.

The feature event, the East Anglia Grand National, was sadly marred by accidents, needing to be restarted twice, but nobody was seriously injured, though a couple of riders will be quite sore. The class of the field was Andrew Smith on his BSA Victor who led all three runnings from start to finish.

A highlight for me was a parade around the circuit by celebrity riders from back then. Dave Bickers borrowed one of Matt Valentine's 380 Griffons and Freddie Mayes was out on one of Ian Stonebridge's. Dave Bickers' comment "That's the first time I've ever ridden a Griffon"!

The past masters were scheduled to do one lap and then stop for a photo op. Except that when DB restarted that 380 (first kick by the way) we knew we were in for more. Sure enough he led them off for another, somewhat quicker, lap. If they'd been properly togged up that would have developed into a race! Excellent stuff!

Here's a couple of pictures, DB is #215, FM is #3
    Attached Files
    Colin Sparrow

Marks Tey

What no helmets, hope the events insurers dont see these pics

Comment

And here they are in an earlier meeting .
      Last edited by riflegreen; 14/06/2011, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Marks tay

Nice to see dave bickers on a griffon ! 380
        and freddy mays

Comment

Awesome day at marks Tay ......Colin many thanks for posting . Great to see Bickers and Freddie go round . Some good racing fast and fun . Top day out

Comment

Originally posted by Kim275 View Post
            Awesome day at marks Tay ......Colin many thanks for posting . Great to see Bickers and Freddie go round . Some good racing fast and fun . Top day out
            What a fantastic day! Pity about your gearbox problems Kim! Hope you get the bike sorted for the next meeting.

Cheers,
            Andrew

Comment

A great day, beautiful weather and a track like concrete and my Challenger ran without any problems.

A completely new track layout with a hairpin bend shortly after the start which led to a few falls. Adrian was rolling around there in the first Greeves race but recovered later so I guess he felt no pain, but probably will tomorrow.

As usual, a very well organized event by the Pre-65 Motocross Club.
              John A - 268

Comment

Marks Tey

Shame the event was not publised in the Calendar (its blank) prior to the event a few more people may have come along to watch.

Comment

We-ll, we are the Greeves Riders Association, not the Pre '65 Motocross Club and their programme can be found at www.pre65.co.uk...

However, I'm a member of both clubs so here goes:

3rd July - Battlesbridge Motorcycle Show. Joint GRA / Pre '65 MX event with Greeves scrambler demonstrations and Greeves display.

31st July - Marks Tey

28th August - Maylandsea

18th September - Marks Tey

9th October - Maylandsea (Greeves Championship decider and trophy presentations at this event)

6th November - Marks Tey

All venues are in Essex and there is a round of the Greeves Championship at all the race meetings except 6th November.

OK?
                  Colin Sparrow

Comment

Sadly I could not make the M/Tey meeting, I normally attend. Gutted I missed DB.Great pics new and old, thanks for posing them in the forum.
                    Andy.

Comment

There are two more Greeves Championship rounds worthy of mention, both being hosted by the Mortimer Classic Club for Dave Harper at their excellent venue at Theale, Reading.

First one is on Sunday 17th. July, second on 4th. September.

Put those in your diary, too!

John R

Comment

Colin,

Some of the dates and venues have changed since the list was first published. Maylandsea is susceptible to heavy rain and is sometimes 'called off' at the last minute so your advice to check the Pre-65 Club page is a good one.

There are a couple of amendments to your list:

The next meeting is at Marks Tey on 19 June. (Pre-65 Club)

That is followed by Theale, Reading on 17 July (Mortimer Club)

Then comes Marks Tey on 31 July and Maylandsea on 28 Aug.

There is another meeting at Theale, Reading on 4 Sept (Mortimer Club)

That is followed by Marks Tey on 28 Sept (not 18 Sept) (Pre-65 Club)

The final meeting of the Greeves Championship is at Maylandsea on 9 October (Pre-65 Club)

All of the above dates have been taken from Dave Harper's latest report on the Championship positions. Dave doesn't do computers!

Regards

John
                        John A - 268

Comment

Greeves Championship Dates.

Having looked at my calender, it appears that Dave Harper has the wrong date for Round 9 of the Greeves Championship! 18th September is the correct date as posted by Colin, 28 Sept falls on a Wednesday
                          John A - 268

Comment

Thanks for all that guys, in fact I lifted the dates straight off the Marks Tey programme from last Sunday (as it was to hand).

Probably best to check www.pre65.co.uk folks!
                            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Thanks for not running me over John. It had looked to be my best start of the day, already to slot in behind the two leaders until they briefly came together on that tight first corner. In taking avoiding action I'm afraid I caused the pile up that ensued, I think most people missed me and yes, I escaped remarkable lightly with some superficial grazes given the circumstances. Apart from the Handlebars being pivotted toward the Tank and stubbornly refusing to return at the scene, the bike survived relativley unscathed as well. Apart from that first corner it was a great track and a grand days racing was had by all I believe. Terry Sewell and his helpers did a great job arranging such a feast of entertainment what with the attendance of our Pastmasters as well as a full race programme. In winning nearly everything, didn't Scott Hayworth, make it look all so easy.

Originally posted by John-Boy View Post
                              A great day, beautiful weather and a track like concrete and my Challenger ran without any problems.

A completely new track layout with a hairpin bend shortly after the start which led to a few falls. Adrian was rolling around there in the first Greeves race but recovered later so I guess he felt no pain, but probably will tomorrow.

As usual, a very well organized event by the Pre-65 Motocross Club.

Comment

Working...
                              X