British Scrambles Motorcycles Book-BMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Scrambles Motorcycles Book-BMS

I came across a marvelous old book, originally published by Bruce Main-Smith in 1986 which would be of interest to most 50s & 60s enthusiasts. It's called
    British Scrambles Motorcycles - the men and their machines.
    Captioned by Ralph Venables.
    It consists of archive pictures ( over 220 ) from the 50s & 60s. There are lots of photos of Greeves, Dots, BSAs, Rickmans, various AMC bikes, plus photo features of the riders of the day, (Eastwood, Bickers etc). Even features sidecars.
    I would think it would be a useful resource for budding restorers, even though it's black & white, as the photos are close-up with good detail.
    It belongs to an old friend, but I'd love to steal it, it's that good.
    Mike

British Scramble Motorcycles book

There is a copy on eBay at present for £95http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRITISH-SCRAMB...-/380280317742 (Book dealer in Spalding)

But Amazon have 3 copies at £40 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-...ery/B001OPWEH2
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 02/11/2010, 10:35 AM.

Comment

BMS Books etc.

Well spotted John. At 40 quid that's about as cheap as you're likely to pick one up for these days, sadly....

It's the same with the (excellent) Don Morley books, such as 'Classic British Scramblers' or 'Classic British Two Stroke Trials Bikes' and the rest. Around £100 seems to be the going asking price these days, not that they seem to sell....!

As for original copies of the Carrick/Walker Greeves book, that's much the same as we all know. Grab a copy of the reprinted softback version at around £20 while they're still available I say...! It also comes with a nice little 'update' booklet. Details available here; (see post #4) http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...ead.php?t=1262

The BMS book had a companion volume, called 'British Trials Motorcycles' that I managed to grab for £20 a few years ago (see pic attached.) As Mike says, they're a wonderful reference source to have in the collection. There's actually one on EBay at the moment, and looks like it might be a bit of a bargain......Get in quick before the 'dealers' spot it! ; http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VINTA...Q5fAccessories

Brian.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Brian Thompson; 02/11/2010, 11:38 AM. Reason: Link added.

Comment

British Trials Motorcycles

This is available from various sources from £35 to £100

Comment

Classic British Two Stroke Trials Bikes

Have found this ad for a copy of Dons book £199

Tomes of Buxton http://www.tomesofbuxton.com/
          I have a copy must put in in a bank vault.
          These book sellers are having a laugh do they ever sell them?
          Last edited by John Wakefield; 02/11/2010, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Don Morley Books.

I paid £20 for my copy of that book at a GRA AGM a few years back, then walked into the main hall where Don very kindly signed it for me! I spoke to Don about the prices asked for his books these days....I think you can imagine his response....When I've talked about it with Mick Walker, it's the same....

It wouldn't be so bad if the money was going to the authors.....That's my view anyway!

Brian.
            Last edited by Brian Thompson; 03/11/2010, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Book prices

Think you can still pick them up for £20 or less at boot sales, autojumbles etc. Book sellers greedy are like antique dealers. I note that Tomes were aiming their book at the USA market where maybe the value of such things is higher.

Comment

I dug out my box of books (moved house and lost track of everything) to see what I still had - came across a beaut copy of Classic British Scramblers, and British Motorcycles of the 40s & 50s by Roy Bacon, both in great condition. Time for another read, both very informative reference books. I've had the former since first published, got the latter at a swap meet for $30 (appr UK18 pounds)
                Mike

Comment

Classic British Scramblers.

Congratulations Mike! That's the other book I'd dearly love to add to my own collection! Don's books are great aren't they, a really good read and packed with invaluable information and terrific photographs. Isn't that Brian Stonebridge on the cover, riding a Matchless? I have a copy of that pic as a postcard-great illustration!

I wish the publishers would consider a reprint of those old Osprey books as there is certainly a market for them. At one time they couldn't give them away, and many appeared in the 'bargain books' section in old magazine adverts. How times change eh?

If you do make it to the Stafford Show, there are several booksellers well worth checking out, but the prices can be shocking...if they have them in stock that is... There are often other bargains to be had though, with a bit of digging.

Brian.
                  Last edited by Brian Thompson; 03/11/2010, 09:33 AM. Reason: Additional text added.

Comment

Another interesting find.
                    The Pre-65 Yearbook, 1990-91
                    by Deryk Wylde. 196 b/w pages. Willow Publishing.

I'ts described as a photographic record of the pre-65 trials and scrambles activity in the UK. Lots of great photos, with emphasis on Trials machines, the major events which occurred, and the characters involved.
                    I wouldn't mind betting a few of this forum's members may have a photo here somewhere.

Mike

Comment

Quote:Isn't that Brian Stonebridge on the cover, riding a Matchless? I have a copy of that pic as a postcard-great illustration!

It's Dave Bickers on a works Matchless, probably the 600. He talks about his short career with AMC in the Ian Berry scrambles book 'Out Front'.

A friend of mine worked in the AMC Competitions shop at the time and 'liberated' one, bit-by-bit! Most of the internals were from the AJS 7R, 12.5:1 compression ratio on petrol and 47-50 bhp. I rode it a few times, very heavy and quite a handful unless you were built like Dave Curtis or Geoff Ward.
                      John A - 268

Comment

Dave Bickers on a Matchless.

Thanks for that John. I wasn't 100% sure as I implied. Here's a pic of that postcard, as used for the cover of the Don Morley book (see attached.)

Brian.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Brian,

Ah, we are talking about two different books! You are right about the picture on your book, it looks like Brian Stonebridge!

For clarification, the two books are:
                          British Scrambles Motorcycles, captioned by Ralph Venables and
                          Classic British Scramblers by Don Morley.

Sorry for any confusion.

John
                          John A - 268

Comment

Classic British Scramblers (Don Morley) Cover Image of BGS.

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post
                            Congratulations Mike! That's the other book I'd dearly love to add to my own collection! Don's books are great aren't they, a really good read and packed with invaluable information and terrific photographs. Isn't that Brian Stonebridge on the cover, riding a Matchless? I have a copy of that pic as a postcard-great illustration! Brian.
                            Thanks very much for clarifying John. I've quoted my original post on this (above) to confirm that it was the Don Morley book that I was refering too, which used the BGS image on the cover, and which I attached to my recent post. (See Post #9 on this thread.)

I wasn't 100% certain about it being BGS as I mentioned, so it's good to know for sure now, as well as having the additional info on the British Scrambles Motorcycles (by Ralph Venables) cover image of Dave Bickers, interestingly also riding a Matchless.

I sure wish I had copies of both those books!

Brian.
                            Last edited by Brian Thompson; 23/12/2010, 02:26 PM. Reason: Additional text.

Comment

Working...
                            X