Greeves article in The Classic Motor Cycle April 2012 edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greeves article in The Classic Motor Cycle April 2012 edition

A two page article is published in The Classic Motorcycle April edition on buying a Greeves roadster, writted by Alan Turner with input from our own Colin Sparrow. Whilst I agree the article in general paints an accurate picture of the Greeves models, & gives good advice, the bit on the 4T engine is not entirely accurate. It is stated that oversize 4T pistons can be difficult to source. Whilst there may not be the range of oversizes available as the 2T, pistons for the 4T are far from being 'hens teeth' Villiers Services (VS) can usually find some thing suitable & they can also be found as new old stock at autojumbles etc. I do know that VS have vast stocks of standard size so if the push came to the shove cylinders could be re sleeved. I would also contest the statement that the centre seal would need replacing on an engine that had been laid up. A metal labyrinth seal was used on the 4T, these do not tend to wear like the rubber seals used in the 2T & 3T.
    Worth a read in your local newsagents.

Thanks John - off to WH Smith's reading rooms then!

Comment

I use the McColl library myself.

Comment

It came out pretty well, didn't it? Clearly Alan works on a tight deadline, tracking down knowledgeable contacts to produce one of those "Restoration Guides" every month.

He has to rely on what he's told, and I imagine the information on 4T oversize piston being a bit hard to come by actually came from VS. I know he had a long chat with Steve Gollings.

Shame he used the catalogue picture of the '57/'58 Fleetwing though. Probably the ugliest (and least typical) of all the Villiers-engined Greeves roadster twins.
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

4T pistons

You could well be right about the information on 4T pistons being difficult to find coming from Villiers Services. Only today have I collected my 4T from them after a rebuild. Before it went off they told me the one area that might be a problem was a rebore, depending on the size of the pistons already fitted, as oversize pistons, if not quite "hens teeth" are rare.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin Sparrow View Post
            Shame he used the catalogue picture of the '57/'58 Fleetwing though. Probably the ugliest (and least typical) of all the Villiers-engined Greeves roadster twins.
            To be fair, Alan tells me he had no part in the picture selection and is not too keen on the one the picture editor decided to use. A 25DC would have made much more sense.

If you read the article carefuly, the comment about the centre crank seal refers to all the twins and is accurate so far as the 2T and the 3T are concerned. I think they dry out and harden when unused for a while don't they John?

Oh b*gg*r, I haven't had my 32DC running for about a year...
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Seals drying out

I think this business of seals 'drying out' is a bit of an old wives tale. Maybe over a period of 40 years but I dont think its as much a problem as many make out. When two strokes dont start or run badly people always blame crank seals, when usually its more likely to be ignition or carburation.
              Dont think you need to worry too much about your 32DC Colin

Comment

Working...
              X