• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Villiers Everybodys Engine by Carrick & Walker

Villiers Everybody’s Engine
    Release Date 15th May 2010
    Authors: Rob Carrick & Mick Walker.
    £29.95 (rrp)

This book sets out to record the achievements of a British industrial empire, the Villiers Engineering Company. Spanning over 100 years of production, from the original cycle business to the final sell-off of the remaining engine arm. The list of Villiers engine users is truly immense, including AJS, Ambassador, Cotton, Coventry Eagle, DMW, DOT, GREEVES, Triumph & Vincent HRD. Also included are many of the other British two-stroke engines available in the period, such as Alpha, AMC, Anzani, Excelsior, JAP, RCA & Royal Enfield. Full colour throughout & 288 pages. SB.
    SKU: VILRB ISBN: 9780955527845

Special signing at Cambridge Group meeting at Barton 20th May

Villiers-Everybody's Engine

Don't forget the book signing tonight 07.30 onwards at the Cambridge Section HQ at The Hoops, Barton. Non members welcome

Comment

Villiers-Everybody's Engine.

Sorry I couldn't make it in the end John, but I hope it was a good night! I spoke to Mick earlier today and he was really looking forward to it.

With a bit of luck I'll receive my copy of 'Villiers-Everybody's Engine' tommorrow-can't wait to get my hands on it! Mick asked me to let him know what I think of it, and if it's anything like his (and Rob Carrick's) previous efforts I'm sure it will be definative, and essential reading.

Will you be doing a review Colin? (If you do one for RC, make sure you get paid this time, OK?! )

Comment

I won't be doing a review this time, unless I get a review copy.

Bit p*ss*d off that I had to buy the the Reg Everett book...
        Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 22/05/2010, 09:22 AM.
        Colin Sparrow

Comment

Considering the time, help and support you gave to Reg on that project, not to mention feeding and watering, etc etc......I'm not surprised mate....

And a mention in the acknowledgments would have nice too....!

Bit off topic I guess, but very relevant nontheless I reckon (so there!)

Brian.
          Last edited by Colin Sparrow; 21/05/2010, 08:06 PM. Reason: Accuracy

Comment

Villiers book

Motor Books have it for £26.95

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Thompson View Post

And a mention in the acknowledgments would have nice too....!

Thanks Brian. But I'm not bitter...
              Colin Sparrow

Comment

Just skint, like the rest of us then.....!

Still haven't received my copy of 'Villiers, EBE' but I'll post something as soon as I get my hands on it.

Comment

Received my copy a few days ago. First impressions are:

Really well illustrated.
                  Not sure about the extent of the colour coding to the pages; I found it a bit distracting.
                  It is good to see an index.

Will be interested to see what other readers think.

Comment

Not sure about the extent of the colour coding to the pages; I found it a bit distracting
                    I would on this agree Buzzer, also the odd size makes difficult to stack on bookshelves, cannot understand why they went to this odd format, A4 would have resulted in less pages as well. Expensive for what it is.

Comment

Villiers Everybodys Engine by Carrick & Walker a mistake

Having recently had a copy of the book to read I have discovered an error regarding the Villiers 4T twin. On page 174 it is stated that the bottom end of the 4T was not changed from the 2T. This is incorrect. The 4T had different con rods with larger small end bearings to fit larger gudgeon pins, but more importantly the 4T had a metal centre crankcase seal, whereby the 2T had a rubber seal. I have spoken to Rob Carrick about it so presumably it will be corrected on any reprints.
                      Last edited by John Wakefield; 04/05/2011, 11:48 AM. Reason: text amendment

Comment

Working...
                      X