Halcyon Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halcyon Days

November 24th 1966 - I was still 15 for another one month and three days, chomping at the bit to get let loose on my 1959 Triumph Tiger Cub. England was still (and still is today) basking in the rays of a world cup final win over the old enemy (not the auld enemy this time) and it was 'SHOW TIME'.
    Motor Cycles 24th November issue largely given over to the wares and wonders on offer at the annual jamboree at Earls Court.
    What can i put on Santas' Christmas list. A plethora of goodies to quench the thirst of any motorcyclist, whether their interest was on the road, off the road or on the track.
    The edition has a very interesting 3 page article courtesy of David Dixon entitled 'Clubman's Grand Prix'. Despite not having the apostrophe in 'Clubman's' in the right place never the less no less enthralling today as it was then.
    It addresses the abundance of track race ware from 50cc to 650cc, complete ready to race bikes to kits.
    Interestingly is the photo on the first page of the latest offering from Greeves the 1967 RES and opposite on page 2 of the Yamaha TD1B and also a list of 125/250/350 machines available for the budding and also indeed the experienced competitor.
    Concentrating on the 250 machines available:
    Aermacchi Ala d'Oro- ?489
    Bultaco TSS - ?485
    Cotton Telstar - ?370
    DMW Hornet MkI - ?365
    DMW Hornet MkII - ?425
    Greeves Silverstone - ?385
    Husqvarna - ?399 (as I remember this never came to fruition)
    Royal Enfield GP5 - ?450
    Yamaha TD1B - ?526-12-0

Included in the text are 250 Crookes and Thompson Suzuki T20s, Ducati 250s (?319) all so mouth watering.

Halcyon days indeed - what have we got today a load of old road going four strokes with the odd one make Honda or KTM Moto 3 series.

Call me an old fart (proud to be one) but what happened to it all?

PS - why does this forum not support the pound sign ? (comes out as a 'question mark' which may be a foretelling of the immanent future) but I bet it supports the $ sign (ooh it does). Trys' to spell words with a 'z' as well instead of the correct English use of the 's'. Puts apostrophes in the wrong place as well. I have no problem with those the other side of the pond having a language BUT DON'T CALL IT ENGLISH.
    Last edited by tonyed27; 20/11/2022, 08:54 AM.

Tony,
    I have a keyboard that I use for my 'smart' TV. Some of the icons are in different places when I type to the screen. Have a play on your keyboard, maybe the ? sign is hidden in another key.
    Brian.

Edit, I used the pound sign but got ?.

Comment

I get the ? sign on an iPad.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Magee View Post
        Tony,
        I have a keyboard that I use for my 'smart' TV. Some of the icons are in different places when I type to the screen. Have a play on your keyboard, maybe the ? sign is hidden in another key.
        Brian.

Edit, I used the pound sign but got ?.
        Nothing to do with keyboard Brian. This issue appeared some time ago, its an issue with the web site. I have asked the web master Ian Thornton to look into this and correct it several times but no response. I understand that the GRA committee are trying to get in contact with the web master who is working abroad.

Comment

Mind you with the state of the British economy and where it's heading a question mark to replace the pound sign is probably the way forward.

Comment

Ha Ha good point Tony

Comment

Working...
            X