Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early Expansion Chamber Exhaust Designs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Expansion Chamber Exhaust Designs.

Following from my post on those Brian Stonebridge photos, in particular the one showing the unusual pipe that his son Ian found so intriguing when he saw it, I dug out this pic I have of some early expansion chamber exhaust pipes. (I've also attached the BGS pic again for reference and comparison.) I think the similarities are really interesting....

The pic was taken outside Walter Kaaden's race shop, from where he conducted the MZ racing effort. Kaaden of course, is widely known as 'the father of the modern two stroke', and his experiments using resonance and harmonics (instead of mechanical valves), tuning the shape of the pipes to make the engine 'sing' like a musical instrument and thus extracting the maximum power available from the gas charge, led to his 1961 125 GP bikes being the first to produce 200 bhp per litre without supercharging!

Walter Kaaden learnt a great deal from his work developing the Nazi secret weapons at Peenamunde, alongside Werner Von Braun, which included the V1 'Doodlebugs' that caused so much terrible devastation during the London Blitz. It was after the RAF bombed Peenamunde out of existence that Kaaden was then 'free' (bearing in mind this was in Communist Germany) to develop his motorcyle racing endeavours with MZ, which of course continued into peacetime and much success in Grand Prix roadracing. Kaaden's work on the exhaust of the 'Pulse Jet' engines employed on the V1's led directly to his expansion pipe exhaust designs for racing motorcycles.

One of Kaaden's disciples was of course renowned two stroke tuner Hermann Meier, who in turn took a young Brian Stonebridge under his wing (at BSA) where BGS was to learn so much of his trade, applied with great success on that early 'giant slaying' Bantam scrambler with which he proved his theories that a lightweight small capacity two stroke could take on (and beat!) the big four stroke scramblers of the day. Following on from this, BGS's tuning talents went on to establish Greeves at the forefront of competition of course, as by all accounts BSA had shown so little interest in Brian's ideas at the time.

I have always found this 'connection', from Kaaden to Meier and then Brian Stonebridge fascinating. So much of what they did back then was seen as a mysterious 'black art' (still is to me!!!) with constant trial and error, utilising the dynomometer to test (and test again) all the different pipe shapes and porting arrangements to get the best out of them. It was as much 'art' as engineering in my view, and as a musician I find the similarities in 'tuning' concepts very interesting indeed. Ernst Degner, Kaaden's right hand man in the race shop and later World GP Champion of course, was also a musician, and reportedly was able to use his 'ear' to great effect when race tuning their engines. (Wish I knew as much about two stroke porting as I do music.....!!!) Indeed, when Hermann Meier was developing the Royal Enfield GP5 two stroke racer in the mid 60's, he was able to tell if riders were over reving the engines by matching the exhaust note to a mouth organ! (I wonder what note it was....?!)

According to Rob Carrick and Mick Walker's new 'Villiers' book, BGS certainly tried a Meier pipe sometime around the 1958 season, along with several other designs (and a Vale-Onslow 250 conversion), although in the pic attached the bike has a round barrel of course...Sadly, I don't know when (or where) the pic was taken either.

Anyway, hope this is of interest. Incidently, for anyone that would like to know more about Walter Kaaden, Ernst Degner and MZ, and how Degner defected to the West, taking with him all that hard won knowledge and passing it on to the Japanese, I can't recommend Mat Oxley's fantastic book 'Stealing Speed' enough (ISBN 978 1 84425 689 1), it's a cracking read.

Brian.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brian Thompson; 23/06/2010, 05:14 PM.

Expansion chambers.

Whilst on a training course at Suzuki in the late 70's, I was present when some highly secret 'Barry Sheene Only' exhausts arrived at Suzuki GB. This lead to a general discussion about such items.The effects all stemmed from varying the speed of resonating ignition explosion shockwaves and their suck/blow actions on the compressed fresh charge vs the location/speed of the piston. I saw a 'works' film of how such affected the exhaust tuning. We were amazed at how this worked despite the length of the pipes twisting around like a snake in order to fit around the frame/rider. I had tried a straight Expansion Chamber exhaust, similar to the centre one in your picture on one of my Bantams when I was a 16yr old Learner, (mainly for the noise!), but without more tuning & knowledge I found it not much different. I had a Mayfield on my Scottish, until the neighbours complained, so went back to the 'up & over' without the baffles.
    With Expansion chambers, the pipe length and circumference were 'tuned' to the speed & temperature, volatility, composition and amount of new charge, plus an amount of residual charge, entering the combustion chamber. The swirl or squish effect over the ignition point, flame front and burn efficiency and exit speed of exhaust gases all played a part. Early 2-strokes had the 'Schnurle Loop' pattern and deflector pistons, even on 4-strokes, this swirl pattern was being developed by Suzuki back then, (I was on the GSX range Course), in search of more power.

Interstingly, I found very little power increase in the GSX 1100 over my Mk 1 GS 1000. However, Suzuki got it a bit wrong on their X-5 (200cc) and X-7 (250cc) bikes. Equipped with what were essentially late 1960's works GP exhausts, (expansion chambers), these were lethal. They had a very fine power band with a sharp power surge about 2/3rds up the rev range which caused them to spit just about every learner that bought one off onto the road! The first X-7 I rode that had been run in shocked me by doing a wheelie at 70mph with my bulk on it! Within weeks of their going on sale we had to detune them all with restrictor plates and new reeds. In the 50's & 60's MZ were the leader in this art, but were starved of resource by their com-econ bosses. Suzuki, and later Yamaha got some of this research, but that's another story!
    Last edited by Peter Rotherham; 27/06/2010, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Vale Onslow barrell

I am sure that the Vale Onslow 250 conversion had an iron barrell with protruding transfer ports. It is unclear in the BGS photo as to whether the bike has in fact the VO conversion.

Comment

Expansion Chambers.

A really interesting post Peter, and I remember the old 'flexy flyer' Suzukis well! I actually had a X5 myself once (and a GS1000S 'Ice Cream Van'!), but had never heard that story about the pipes before...! Not exactly the sort of thing they'd make public though I suppose....! Very interesting indeed to hear the 'inside story' though, and reminds me of how much R and D the biking public often did on behalf of the factories back then as I recall, so quickly were new products rushed out the door during that era...!

I've always admired the skill and craftsmanship that goes into fabricating one of those complex pipes (as you describe), let alone the maths (and chemistry!) involved in the design....truly mind boggling stuff! I remember we used to liken some of them to 'pregnant goldfishes', so extreme were some of the shapes!

Thanks for the insights Peter, fascinating stuff.

Brian.
        Last edited by Brian Thompson; 27/06/2010, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Gordon blair

Gordon bliar always said if you send me a sae and you question with a sheet of paper i will answer your question !

Gary gwillam 286 member

Comment

Exhausts

On the subject of exhausts ,does anyone have for sale or know who would make a system for a MX5 Challenger.They were different to earlier models because of frame modifications on that model,the engine on the MX5 sat
            further back,hence the front pipe was longer to compensate but had an effect on power output and did not perform as well as the older ones.Did anyone else find that,maybe the factory men could comment.
            Regards,
            Kane.

Comment

Expansion Chamber

How about this pipe for a Villiers - from the recent Dave Bickers magazine article.

Dean Newton
              Seattle, USA
              Attached Files

Comment

John collard was the last one to make pipes and silencers for the mx challenger range i have a mx1 and 2 mx5,s

Originally posted by kane View Post
                on the subject of exhausts ,does anyone have for sale or know who would make a system for a mx5 challenger.they were different to earlier models because of frame modifications on that model,the engine on the mx5 sat
                further back,hence the front pipe was longer to compensate but had an effect on power output and did not perform as well as the older ones.did anyone else find that,maybe the factory men could comment.
                Regards,
                kane.

Comment

Working...
                X