1960 isdt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 isdt

There are some good photographs of Greeves and the British compsters at the 1960 ISDT on the SpeedtrackTales website see http://speedtracktales.com/
    Attached Files

7 lhk

7 LHK was Jack Simpson's works bike for the 1958 Welsh 3 Day Trial, it was a spare in the 58 ISDT at Garmisch used by Bert Greeves to follow the trial.
    It survived converted to a one day trials bike till 1980's (last owner unaware of its history). I disappeared in the Bodmin area sometime in the mid to late 80's when it was given away as a field bike. The frame number was 9118/TA should it ever come to light. The picture you have put up is of it when ridden by Ian Hillier ISDT 1960
    Last edited by John Wakefield; 09/03/2014, 07:02 PM.

Comment

OK, from the same source.....a query. Who is that riding a Greeves with a light helmet?
      Brits wore Green, Dutch wore Orange, and the only other Greeves rider we have listed for 1960 is a Swiss rider who should be in Red with White Cross.
      Attached Files

Comment

Isdt

John,
        Now that you've given out the frame number I've no doubt that it will reappear! One of the many frames that aren't stamped I expect.

Druid

Comment

7 lhk

Originally posted by druid View Post
          John,
          Now that you've given out the frame number I've no doubt that it will reappear! One of the many frames that aren't stamped I expect.

Druid
          John
          I think there will be enough evidence to certify it should it appear, Colin has paperwork from last owner. Anyway I think the number is well known anyway, but at least if it is around then someone may spot it. I am given to understand that it is stamped so if a bike comes up with fresh stamping then it will sick out like a sore thumb.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
            OK, from the same source.....a query. Who is that riding a Greeves with a light helmet?
            Brits wore Green, Dutch wore Orange, and the only other Greeves rider we have listed for 1960 is a Swiss rider who should be in Red with White Cross.
            There were thirteen Greeves riders in the 1960 ISDT. Only the national team riders would have had national colours. One in GB Trophy, two in GB Vase, two in Dutch Vase and one in Swiss Vase. That leaves seven privateers to chose from.

Also the Dutch orange was quite light and comes up light grey in a B&W photo...

We could probably figure out if we really tried, Brian...
            Colin Sparrow

Comment

Colin, I disagree with you on the helmet colours being restricted to National Teams. At every event that I attended, all riders used the respective national colours, and I have no photos to counter that statement. I'm not saying it was never done, but it was certainly a matter of National Pride for just about every rider. One exception....almost! in the Brit camp was Roy Peplow who disliked the British Racing Green, so sprayed his helmet a lighter shade of metallic green.
              I'll try to go through the available 1960 pics from Speedtracktales to see if I can prove or eliminate this rider. One clue is the large headlight, it looks bigger than the "works" fitting.

Comment

Working...
              X