Scottish 6 Days trial 1957 Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish 6 Days trial 1957 Preview

2 page preview of the SSDT with a nice pic of Monty Banks being scrutineered.
    Attached Files

Brian, a while back you were offering a service to clean up old pics & articles & restore them back to there former glory, ready for posting, has your equipment failed....... .brians post..... Any member wishing to post historical magazine articles may wish to use my services to enhance their contribution. Most old magazine articles become brown and a bit shabby, but I can take the colour cast out and usually make the post a better read.
    Last edited by dave higgins; 09/01/2014, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Posted to me in that condition and re-posted as found. Slightly better versions below.
      Attached Files

Comment

Wonderfully evocative pictures, although I didn't get immersed in the Scottish myself until ten years later I wish I'd have been around in those days. The Saturday evening 'signing on' at the Edinburgh Club HQ at 28 Nelson Street and the machine preparation and 'weigh in' at the Gorgie cattle market on the Sunday, are memories I'll treasure forever, the fantastic atmosphere of each being denied to today's competitors. Do they still mark the junctions with dye? Few other events did that and yet it was so simple and effective. To my knowledge no one got lost at the Scottish, and there were no markers to get interfered with or gather up after the event. They just had to hope it didn't rain too heavily which was why it was done at dawn each day!

Comment

Sounds like great memories for you dick, have you any pics of your days in the scottish...

Comment

DYE......memories of my first years routemarking the Welsh! We soon abandoned that lark....what a mess it made! One of the problems we found was that if you made a mistake, or found problems on a route (Not unheard of), it took ages to wash it away and correct it. The vehicle, and everything in it, got covered in red dye powder, so when you went back to Llandrindod to try to get clarification about something, you were chasing around town like a red Indian!
            I hope the Scottish boys had as much fun as we did!

Comment

Working...
            X