Frame Number archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame Number archives

I remember a while ago there was talk of an overall collection of frame numbers. I know Chris G is collecting Anglians etc. but is anyone else actively collecting? I have stirred up a few of our American cousins and they are sending me their numbers, so who is collecting the other models?

Frame numbers

I am doing 25DC mk2 'East Coasters' which are published on this forum

Comment

John, I think this needs a re-think, in that nothing is easily findable. It needs better publicity and a more concerted effort to find the "missing" information. I would like to see a name against every model range, and he (she?) becomes the focal point for queries. I seem to remember someone was trying to do the whole job, what happened to him?

Comment

link added

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
        I seem to remember someone was trying to do the whole job, what happened to him?
        It was Ron Wright here is the original thread http://www.greeves-riders.org.uk/for...eeves+register It was due to have been discussed at the committee meeting of 9th June 2012!!
        Last edited by John Wakefield; 17/03/2013, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks, John! Does that mean a decision will be made soon, or ........was it quietly dropped?

Comment

Brian, the guy is long gone, could not get his own way instantly, so stamped his feet & is vocal no more ( forum wise ), i think his last post was to say that he had sold his scottish.
            Damm shame! i miss him....

Comment

Dave, thanks, I have just looked at the last bits of the sticky on this. As you say, he wanted to do a major job on his own. I seem to have been "promoted" into the position via the conversations on Facebook, and my suggestion is that all the available numbers are transmitted to me and I will send on to whoever is collecting that model. Only problem is that there seems only 2 to my knowledge, Messrs Goodfellow and Wakefield.
              My idea is that we share this job, according to model preferences, so Chris carries on with Anglians and associated offshoots, John takes Twin Roadsters, I would happily take Hawkstones etc.....WE then all report to Leading Link and the Committee on a regular basis and can answer any queries that arise.

Comment

Data

Post Removed
                Last edited by Phil Hyde; 19/03/2013, 07:04 AM. Reason: My valid input belittled

Comment

My Anglian list is purely a private venture and has no owners names or addresses & is only to be viewed by Committee Members should they be interested .

No information will be given to GRA members .

Also many owners don't want their names put down to a bike .

The Facebook page is nothing to do with the GRA.

The listing of all bikes is not required .

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Catt View Post
                    John takes Twin Roadsters, I would happily take Hawkstones etc.....WE then all report to Leading Link and the Committee on a regular basis and can answer any queries that arise.
                    Sorry Brian but like Chris my list is something I have done off my own back with basic details frame No's, Reg No's, & condition published on the forum.
                    I do not really have the resorces to do ALL Roadster Twins, & indeed am not prepared to do that. I am only recording the 25DC mk 2 & East Coaster derivative because I have one of these & it is of intrest to me to know how many others are surviving.
                    What is going on on Facebook? Is there a link?
                    Last edited by John Wakefield; 18/03/2013, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Let's take these points one at a time.
                      Facebook pages have been set up in the name of Nicholson Motors and Greeves Motorcycle Enthusiasts, by well-known and respected enthusiasts in the USA. I have been invited onto both by their originators because of the aid I have given on various subjects. The discussions are lively and reflect the enthusiasm of the people involved for their chosen motorcycles. In a word, they are the same as us over here, perhaps moreso!
                      The idea behind a listing is to find out a) what's left, and b) where it is geographically. All the Americans have given me frame numbers and their American State as a location. There is no need or wish to tie anyone down to giving any nearer location than their home country, so all this cobblers about Thieves Charter is rubbish.
                      The bit about who does what was purely hypothetical, I was not lumbering anyone with a job, just an example of how the situation would be handled. If nobody wants the job, it won't get done.
                      Have JW and CG had Committee sanction for their private collections?
                      Is it actually a Association requirement that it is sanctioned by Committee?
                      My understanding was that due to the incomplete nature of the Export Records, it was desirable to find out what bikes have ended up where. Am I wrong in this?
                      Last edited by Brian Catt; 18/03/2013, 07:27 PM.

Comment

I would imagine that a large number of bikes still exist brian, albeit as incomplete units, or built back up out of parts into mongrels.
                        Last year at the bike bonnanza there was a trade stand with about 10 incomplete bikes & numerous frames etc, looked a bit sad really,all piled up, but what i`m trying to say is, how would a register account for say a h/stone built up from r/ster or scottish parts.
                        When does a bike that left the factory stop becoming that bike?, when it is less than 50 per cent original, personally, i don`t think it matters, but for all the purists, then there has to be a limit.

Comment

Dave , I see what you are saying, but what I forsee is purely a list of frame numbers and approx locations to see what is where. No exact details are required, so no security risk. It's no real problem if it's been modified or just laying dormant, just that the frame number still exists.

Comment

Chaps,

This is exactly what I did with my Silverstone 'racer' register about 20 years ago! I started it on paper and then migrated it to the website. It was purely an interest to see what was left - possibly a bit close to train-spotting!

Having had a chained-up bike taken from a locked garage during the day
                            here at home, I am very wary of giving away too much info. My register gives frame number, condition of bike, eg. in bits, complete, being used, etc and approx location. The sole purpose was to see how many had survived. It has worked quite well over the years and quite a few people have sent me info for it. They are welcome to add whatever they like or not as the case may be.

An anonymous owner with RCS 592, complete and running in the north of England does not give away much except that that frame number is accounted for and the bike exists, the purpose of the exercise.

I know Chris and John have done roughly the same as me and at least we have some idea of bikes still in existence.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post

I know Chris and John have done roughly the same as me and at least we have some idea of bikes still in existence.

Rob
                              With my register I do have a lot more info than is published including any history that is forth coming, & changes of owner with contact details etc. I try to keep track of bikes changing hands but this relies on owners telling me they have sold the bike & who the new owner is. Obviously this info stays with me & as long as owners are happy with that (& most are) it is a very useful 'tool' for putting owners in touch with one another. Not all owners are GRA members although I am glad to say most are or were when they acquired their bike. So really I have more than a register, its like a mini East Coaster owners club if you like. I only have 60 complete bikes listed plus an alloy beam, so its realitively easy to manage, to do the whole bike range on this scale would be a massive task.
                              Last edited by John Wakefield; 18/03/2013, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X